StoppieJoe

Follow your dreams or take the "safe"route

What is your opinion? On one hand you could drop everything and follow your dreams, whatever that may mean for you, regardless of risk or potential short term obstacles or hardships that may or may not arise.

On the other hand, you could continue putting your dreams off, waiting for the "right moment" to present itself while continuing your safe, but rather boring, life. Which one would you choose? Why?

ETA: If you have already made your choice (Dreams vs Practicality) and are currently living it, Why did you chose to do what you did? Was it the right choice for you?
Carpe Diem, Even if it kills me -- "Dead Poet's Society"

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

I was the kid that was scared of roller coasters and haunted houses. Something clicked when I was 21(37 now) and I started skydiving and then paragliding. I would do anything I could including jumping out of a tandem paraglider with a base rig, I did a paraglider d bag from a tandem as well. In 2009 I crashed and compression fractured my L1. I gave up flying after that and slowly gave up my crazy hobbies. I met my wife and we have a 3 year old son. I continued to give up everything with risk and crazy adventures. Not because of my wife thou. It was me trying to be a safe dad. From there I slowly sank into a a depressive state and was rung with anxiety and panic attacks. Panic attacks? I used to jump out of planes and run off mountains.

When I met my wife I had a jeep that we would wheel together. Sold that too but last year she kinda forced me to get an xterra. I wanted a family car that was fuel efficient. We started to wheel again. I got help for the anxiety and depression.

So looooong story short I tried going the safe route. I hated it and it almost ruined me. I haven't flown since 09 when I crashed. But as soon as the dz is open I am going back. I have an amazing wife and son. Our life is great but it's been hard to feel complete. I've wanted to jump for a long time and my wife actually has encouraged me to go back. She knows it makes me happy.

Ya gotta live life. We all die one day. Make the best of it.

That was a great answer and I am glad you are going to start flying again! I would like to say: I am not just talking about physical safety.

I mean safe as in financial security, and support from family0friends, you know, the way everyone wants you to live life... the "Responsible" and "predictable" route. The route that has the fewest unknown elements.

Whereas your "dream route" could lead to some hardships at first because of the lifestyle change and could present some obstacles for you to overcome, especially financially. Some would argue that those hardships and obstacles may not be worth following your dream "just in case it doesn't work out", but you will never know unless you go out and do it.

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

I want to enjoy my life in all aspects. I'm a stay at home dad because that's what works for us. And my wife is better at making money than me lol.

Following the norm is great for some people. But it doesn't work for everyone.

As a 20 year-old with no responsibilities, I strive to have my own great adventures... THAT is what I want... The adventures. :P:PB| Since the day that this picture was taken (6 years old, Minutes before my first tandem) I knew that this was what I wanted for my life... I have lived it once, tagging along on my dads adventures... It is past due that I create my own story and live out my own adventures. Those adventures will be starting in March, at my home DZ. I cant wait to see where it takes me in the coming years.

I may decide to settle down later... then again... maybe not.

I more or less did that. I had a job that I was not happy in and was getting more miserable each year. For years I kept saying I was going to quit and start my own business. I did start my business when I was still at the job but only worked it part time. I had a stable job with decent pay and benefits, plus the economy was in the tank at the time, so I let fear keep me there much longer than I should have.

But I finally had enough of the corporate bs and turned in my notice. I ended up doing it at the beginning of what is considered the slow season for my industry. However, I made it through the summer months just fine. And since then everything has been great.

I did it because I was tired of working under someone else's rules and micro-management, plus ultimately I knew I would not be happy unless I was working for myself. The only slight regret I have is that I did not do it sooner.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

I do both.
I have a job I love, that has 12 weeks annual leave. I also work 4 years and travel in the 5th. I do pretty much everything I want to, just not all at the same time :)

Read my sig lineB|B|B|B|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

StoppieJoe

Since the day that this picture was taken (6 years old, Minutes before my first tandem) I knew that this was what I wanted for my life... I have lived it once, tagging along on my dads adventures...

You got to make a tandem at age 6? I wish I could have done that. B|

Our 4 kids spent a lot of time at the DZ when they were young. 3 made tandems as teenagers, one made 16 jumps before going off to college, and another is a current jumper with ~120 jumps. But none of them consider it their raison d'etre like Mom and Dad. But they have all gone on to carve out lives and adventures of their own. Looking back, they say their days at the DZ were pretty cool.

I'm glad to see you haven't ruled out settling down. Marrying and having a family doesn't mean giving up adventure. Sometimes it means having someone with whom you can share it. ;):)

3 tandems. One at age 6 and one at 10 then one at 11. Then when I was 12 I did my AFF 1-6. I haven't been in the air since then. So its been 8 years since I last jumped. I worked on multiple DZs (one even in Oslo, Norway) as a Packer from the time I was 8 until I was 16. Then Dad stopped jumping so I had to leave the skydiving community. Since I was 18, I have been wanting to get back into it and I am now finally at a point in my life where I can just drop everything and go do it for a few years.... at least. lol

I am going to say that you should follow your dream, as long as you're not leaving anyone behind (Significant Other, kids) and as long as you can support yourself financially. That also means having a savings account for 6 months worth of expenses and health insurance that you can afford to pay monthly. If you're going to be a financial burden to anyone just so you can skydive every day, then you should keep working hard and put your dreams off for awhile until you can reach those financial goals.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Nope! Got all of that covered. No SO, No kids. Enough savings to last a little bit, No major bills and a job on a DZ that starts in March. Realistically I wont even start jumping again until next season. I will spend this year packing and cleaning the DZ while studying for my Riggers Ticket. Im hoping to have my 20 supervised reserves knocked out and a lot of the knowledge portion done before Fall so that I can go take advantage of the Paraconcepts course in Chicago and get my Riggers Ticket this year.

JohnMitchell

*** Since the day that this picture was taken (6 years old, Minutes before my first tandem) I knew that this was what I wanted for my life... I have lived it once, tagging along on my dads adventures...

You got to make a tandem at age 6? I wish I could have done that. B|]

Heres the only pic I have. I have no idea where the video went. There is a rumor that Bill Gates was on the load with us... but I cant confirm that... That may just be my dad telling stories XD

I believe your premise is flawed, at least in some parts of the world. Your profile shows an American flag, I'm going to assume you're living and plan to live in the USA and I include the US as part of the world I'm talking about.

I am not talking about anyone for whom work was simply an option to begin with such as trust-fundies. If you have unlimited funds, this is still completely optional, but for the average person in the lower four quintiles this is no longer a choice even if old notions make it appear as if it is.

The reason: I do not believe we live in a world where "safe" is currently a guarantee. It might have been 40 years ago, but I truly believe that entire notion is gone, kaput, ended, over, and gone.

I do NOT believe anyone working for anyone else has any "safe" path from cradle to grave. I do NOT believe any small business owner has any "safe" path from cradle to grave. If you work for somebody else, you are now subject to the whims of others and can be fired for looking the wrong way. If you own a small business, you're subject to the capricious whims of the consumers. If you put in 29 years at a company, expect to be fired because some bean counter figured out they can make a few pennies more by replacing you with somebody younger than can be paid less.

My only advice is get a job that pays you enough so you can follow your dreams OUTSIDE of having to try to make a living at it. IF you get really good at it AND IF several miracles happen in your favor, you MAY have a shot at one day MAYBE making a living at it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

skymama

That also means having a savings account for 6 months worth of expenses and health insurance that you can afford to pay monthly. If you're going to be a financial burden to anyone just so you can skydive every day, then you should keep working hard and put your dreams off for awhile until you can reach those financial goals.

How many skydivers have we seen that get hurt and immediately can't make ends meet? [:/]

How many skydivers have we seen that get hurt and immediately can't make ends meet?

And then a GoFundME page gets started to help the poor guy who has no insurance. But, he was living his dream, so we should all pay his bills! :|

Sorry for my thread drift.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

How many skydivers have we seen that get hurt and immediately can't make ends meet?

And then a GoFundME page gets started to help the poor guy who has no insurance. But, he was living his dream, so we should all pay his bills! :|

Sorry for my thread drift.

Don't forget the benefit at the local DZ
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Have you actually sat down and figured out a budget yet to see how much you have to make to cover the basics like food, your rent/trailer space and health insurance? Don't forget to set 30% of the money aside for taxes at the end of the year also. Those numbers can add up and when you then break it down into either $5 or 10 chunks you need to make sure the DZ has enough work to actually pay you to live. I've seen it before where a jumper moves to a DZ with little money and then they hit a bit where the weather sucks for a few weekends and they basically get no work and then just quit paying for things like insurance since "I'm healthy - I don't need it!". A few of these people then quit filing their taxes at the end of the year since they are not use to needing to save for it since they typically just had it pulled from their paycheck at a "normal" job. Some times they get hurt and need to beg for money from all their friends but I know a few they got nailed by the IRS and had wage garnishment and worse due to their failure to plan.

50/20/30 rule - All your fixed expenses (food, rent, insurance, phone, etc) need to fit in 50% of your after tax pay. You need to be putting 20% back into savings and that leaves 30% to play with. If you can't get by doing this then its a bad financial mistake to do it.

I will say that I took a "safer" route and don't regret a bit of it. I didn't live on a DZ and worked a "normal" job but that has now let me be able to fund all the jumping and tunnel time I want plus via the benefits of compounding interest I actually have a chance of having money at retirement.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, as far as rent goes, a room on the DZ is included when I go down there to work. As I said, I will be a heyboy and a packer. Mostly just the Heyboy duties for the most part. I am lucky enough to stay on my parents health insurance for the next 6 years. (Step Mother is an attorney and their benefits extend to children under 26). So that being said, I would have to be making $300 for comfortable eating per month, $30 for motorcycle insurance, and probably about $50 per month on gas for the bike(assuming most of my time is spent on DZ). Everything else I make will go into savings and toward my riggers ticket this year. As I said, I don't plan on jumping until next season once I am current on packing again, have my riggers ticket and have more savings than I currently do. Then I will relocate to a higher volume DZ and pack full time, and at that point I will be putting as much into savings and jump fund as I can, but I will have enough savings to cover whatever rent I may have next season in the case of bad weather or something. I feel like I am in a good position to do this.

You've put some thought into this. You might decide after a few months that it makes skydiving too much like work. In that case, you'll still have what you saved, your motorcycle, and insurance from your folks. You can decide to go back to college (or go to college). But now, while you don't have children or other responsibilities, is the time to explore this.

I did something similar a long time ago. I never meant to make it permanent, and I went back to the real world after six months. It was a great experience, and I'm really glad I did it.

One thing to consider is what do you want to grow into. You're only 20; there're a lot of years in front of you. So look at how the riggers, DZO, packers, full time instructors and TM's live, and figure out if that's the kind of life you want to be in the long run. And it might be; just put some thought into it.

Good luck either way. And a college degree never hurt anyone -- consider at least keeping up knowledge base so that if you decide to go, you can test out of some of the basics.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

You've put some thought into this. You might decide after a few months that it makes skydiving too much like work. In that case, you'll still have what you saved, your motorcycle, and insurance from your folks. You can decide to go back to college (or go to college). But now, while you don't have children or other responsibilities, is the time to explore this.

I did something similar a long time ago. I never meant to make it permanent, and I went back to the real world after six months. It was a great experience, and I'm really glad I did it.

One thing to consider is what do you want to grow into. You're only 20; there're a lot of years in front of you. So look at how the riggers, DZO, packers, full time instructors and TM's live, and figure out if that's the kind of life you want to be in the long run. And it might be; just put some thought into it.

Good luck either way. And a college degree never hurt anyone -- consider at least keeping up knowledge base so that if you decide to go, you can test out of some of the basics.

Wendy P.

Great advice! Thank You.

I have lived on dropzones off and on from age 3 until I was about 16 Dad being a TI, AFFI, Videographer, and Rigger; and I a packer during the summers. I can honestly say it was the only time when I was truly happy. If I do decide to come back to the real world, I have a college level sales and marketing education (not a degree but enough knowledge to create a nice career if I wanted to) so I do have a career-path to fall back on if I need to. I am just tired of the 9-5 grind. I feel so stagnant, unhappy, and find myself longing for the skydiving community. Im excited to give in and see if I will truly like it.