Annalisa

I always hate when this happens...

Nur also reported that the man caught fire before he was sucked from his seat, and eerily, the burned body of an elderly man was found in Balad, 18 miles from Mogadishu. It’s uncertain whether this was the same man.

I'm assuming finding a burnt body in Somalia is an everyday occurence.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Nur also reported that the man caught fire before he was sucked from his seat, and eerily, the burned body of an elderly man was found in Balad, 18 miles from Mogadishu. It’s uncertain whether this was the same man.

I'm assuming finding a burnt body in Somalia is an everyday occurence.

Based on that description, my first assumption is that he was a suicide bomber with a "fizzle."

Kinda like the "Underwear Bomber" a few years back.

Detonator went off, but didn't ignite the full charge. Started a fire and damaged the wall of the plane. After a couple seconds of him being on fire, the damaged wall gave way.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Actually I think there must have been some concussive force. Probably his Mother of All Bombs turned out to be his redheaded stepsister on his father's side. I have trouble imagining a fire burning long enough to cause the kind of damage we see in the pictures.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Actually I think there must have been some concussive force. Probably his Mother of All Bombs turned out to be his redheaded stepsister on his father's side. I have trouble imagining a fire burning long enough to cause the kind of damage we see in the pictures.

Doesn't have to burn long if it burns hot. It would (probably) take a lot of heat to degrade the structural integrity of the airframe and cause an issue, but I am not sure how much heat the composite material can sustain without failure.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

airdvr

I may not have been clear on my post. What I meant was:

The detonator went off, started a fire and the concussive force from just the detonator damaged the fuselage of the plane.
The fuselage is pretty strong, but if the plane is already pressurized, the overpressure from the detonator could have been enough to damage it to the point that it failed after a minute or two (from the concussion, not from the fire).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I thought that the cabin pressure was about 7,500 ft. If the plane was at 14,000, was that pressure differential enough to suck someone out?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

There's a little Bernoulli action going on outside the hole, too. That might be enough, along with rapid decompression, to create sufficient suckage to pull a person out. If not, there's probably enough high speed air to help a small hole get bigger.

pchapman

FWIW, an online calculator suggested 8.0 and 10.6 psi at those two altitudes. So a square foot hole is still 374 lbs differential based on static pressures alone.

OK, yeah. That would do it unless he's the guy that seems to sit next to me on most flights.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?