fallfast69

I have a Eagle

I think this guy (or gal) is a juvenile Bald Eagle, but I'm not really sure. This bird has been hanging around for a week or so and is truly a treat to watch. He much bigger than the picture suggests.The pic was taken in NW Washington a few minutes ago. I guess it could be a Brown Eagle, but I don't think so. Any ideas?

theonlyski

Looks like an adolescent bald eagle to me, but I am no expert in the matter.

^This. I'm not an expert, but a reasonably informed amateur.

Short version: The white head & tail indicate that it's an adult and is claiming territory. Until it has the white, other Bald Eagles will let it stay in their territories without challenge.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Short version: The white head & tail indicate that it's an adult and is claiming territory. Until it has the white, other Bald Eagles will let it stay in their territories without challenge.

So white head & tail on an eagle is like the bottom rocker on a biker.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Ya know, I was thinking that exact thing, but decided not to go there. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

ryoder

I've seen this bird perched on the same branch a half-dozen times. It'd be pretty cool if he made this his home territory...I'll call his tree "Charming"B|:P

Don't know what it's like where you are, but they tend to stay where they can find food.
That usually means open water.

Where I live, there's a river nearby. There's a paper mill and a water treatment plant, along with reasonably fast rapids. The heat from the industrial stuff, along with fast moving water through the rapids keeps this section of the river open through all but the coldest of winters.
When other stuff is either frozen over or snow covered (prey hides beneath the snow), we can get dozens of eagles hanging out on the river, because they can find food. Once spring opens up other food sources, most go back to where they came from.

But it's really cool to go down to the lookout and see maybe 10 or 12 bald eagles sitting in the trees up and down the river.

We have a very nice nature center here in town. I'm about 2 miles from it. :)
http://www.1000islandsenvironmentalcenter.org/trails.html

There's no shortage of food or water where we're at. A river about 300 yards from here, a very active creek on the property, a hay field/cattle pasture teeming with delightful edibles, and plenty of trees to provide a lookout.

Your nature area looks amazingB|. I've been through Wisconsin a few times and was very impressed with the amount of creeks and rivers I saw. A canoe/kayak dream come true!

I've got some bald eagles around the lake I live on. I've only seen them a few times. Twice while driving over the lake bridge on the interstate, and once at home while I was laying on my back on the trampoline and I saw it way up high, that unmistakable white head and tail. And then minutes later I noticed a satellite passing overhead in space. That was a cool day. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's an old joke around here. We have a lot of Sandhill Cranes. Enough that they are annoying. But still protected.

Some people have been caught poaching them. Some because of crop damage, some because they were actually interested in eating them.

The joke goes:

The warden asks the poacher "What does Sandhill Crane taste like?

And the poacher answers "Just like Bald Eagle."

I just reversed it and substituted Whooping for Sandhill because I wasn't sure anyone would know what a Sandhill Crane is.

oldwomanc6

******They taste like chicken!

No, they taste like Whooping Crane.

You all sound entirely too knowledgeable as to what wild birds taste like. :o

:ph34r:

I know what a wild chick tastes like.
Why is that surprising?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun