promise5

Getting another dog.

If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Husky a are awesome dogs and they are Alaskan after all.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

promise5

You live in the far north.. get a Malamute.... the bigger the better... and get a sled... to exercise the dog....;)

Every breed or species will have some similar quirks alongside the individual's unique personality. That's probably where that feeling is coming from -- you see behaviors in the puppies that remind you of your dog, because you're seeing traits common to the breed. If you get another puppy of that breed, they will have their own unique personality. It's up to you whether you can deal with that or not.

If you go with a different breed, you're going to have to re-learn that breed's dialect of mannerisms and body language. That might also be stressful.

Either way, you get a fluffy puppy. I'm sure you can deal with it.

And if you're shopping around for breeds, Bruce over at the Broomfield airport has a long haired German Shepherd that is quite possibly the coolest dog I've ever met.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I can completely relate as we had to put my girl down over the summer as well...

We went a completely different route and although she is a handful (due mostly to the challenges of her history and her lack of confidence) our pitbull rescue is a as completely different then my previous dog and at the same time is a great addition to our family dynamic.

She has been and will likely be a lot of work to get her where she is able to be out and about without it being a challenge but she is a great girl with a lot of personality.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

turtlespeed

***If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Husky a are awesome dogs and they are Alaskan after all.:)

Depends on the husky ;-) Alaskan Huskies are actually specially bred mutts. Siberian Husky and hound/lab/border collie and are not a recognized breed.

Siberian Huskies are from Siberia. :P

Neither of these are for the faint of heart, they require an incredible amount of training and exercise.

Currently owned by two full bred Siberians and am actually racing them B|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If you do not want to rescue from a shelter there are other rescue options. Do some research, if you find a breed that interests you reach out to a breed specific rescue. The amount of dogs that end up there along with the shelter is insane.

But regardless where you go, educate yourself on various breeds and the behaviors. Most of the dogs end up in rescue because people do not bother to read up on the dog, mixes count too! They can be a crap shoot of which traits they possess from the mix, however if you understand what is possible you will be prepared for what they bring to the table.

Siberians work for me as I know the amount of training and exercise they need to keep them from becoming but heads. LOL. Everyone has the breed that is right for them, and at no point should you ever feel you are replacing your previous dog by getting the same breed. Each and every dog has a personality of its own.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Amazon

***If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?

You live in the far north.. get a Malamute.... the bigger the better... and get a sled... to exercise the dog....;)

Saw a lady at the dog park with a 9 month Malamute "puppy." It was the size of a small horse, ate 10 cups of food a day and shit like an elephant.

Gorgeous dog...but very spendy. Gotta have a wheelbarrow instead of the handy poo bag for the walkies...

hillson

******If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Saw a lady at the dog park with a 9 month Malamute "puppy." It was the size of a small horse, ate 10 cups of food a day and shit like an elephant.

Gorgeous dog...but very spendy. Gotta have a wheelbarrow instead of the handy poo bag for the walkies...

Yup >:(

Serious Dog Logs

Amazon

*********If anyone remembers I let my Roxy(English bulldog) a couple months ago. I've been thinking about getting another dog but I'm kinda stuck. I love English bully's and loved my Roxy. But, every time I've looked at a puppy I just feel like I'm trying to find my Roxy again. If the makes sense at all. I'm now thinking of maybe going with a completely different breed of dog. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Yup >:(

Serious Dog Logs

Speaking of Malamutes.......the most bad-ass DZ dog fight I ever saw was between a very large and nasty Shepard (pissed on rigs, owner was fucked, and scared some people with his dog). In the other corner, an Alaskan Malamute very large, with a "neutral" personality, and not a rig pisser. The DZ was not big enough for these two males and when they met up one day OMG!! Hair, blood, droll, flying everywhere. The speed and power of their biting jaws incredible. When the Malamute got the advantage and was killing the Shepard , his owner jumped in and promptly got chomped on by both dogs as they were trying to kill each other, with dust flying, barking, yelling.......then the Malamute owner jumped in and got his fingers, hands, arms tore up as well. Two 150 pounds dogs in a death match. The Malamute got the Shepard's front leg joint and crunched it and then grabbed Shepard by the neck.....owners got them separated before lights out.
After that we had to physically take a firearm away from a dog owner.
The Shepard walked with a permanent limp and a continued bad attitude.

I suppose moral of the story? Probably shouldn't have dog that out weighs you. UNLESS you are a hellofva trainer or are in a position to spend big bucks on having your dog trained.

GD64

***And, here I thought the moral was keep your damned dogs away from the packing area.

Yes Lisa.........but that makes way too much sense:)
Have control of your dog at all times.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

******And, here I thought the moral was keep your damned dogs away from the packing area.

Have control of your dog at all times.

Is that an innuendo of some sort?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon

******And, here I thought the moral was keep your damned dogs away from the packing area.

With some dogs spaying or neutering their owners would be a better option

Good point Amazon.

Also,if dog owners can't train their four-legged friends with all the information that's available, perhaps its not suited to their lifestyle.