promise5

AT&T or Verizon?

My phone company has sold their cellular service to Verizon.
My plan is up and I need a new phone, these are my options.
What do you have and the pros and cons.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

In the lower 48-states Verizon has better coverage. If it is the same in Alaska then Verizon is your preferred choice.

An iPhone app that gives you some in site into the location of the cell towers and there signal strength is called OpenSignal.

Do you have an iPhone?

ryoder

Click on a carrier map, then pull the map to AK.
If coverage is important, you need to move to the lower 48.:P

http://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/

Looks like its pretty much a dead heat up there.... Given that I would go with ATT .. since they bought DTV.. there is a sweet deal with Unlimited streaming ALL that content on your phone

normiss

Other than ATT still not understanding the actual meaning of "unlimited".
Their coverage still sucks, won't work in my home, nor in Fitz.

Mine works fine here in the Pacific NorthWET...and I live out in the boonies.... in the mountains... in a valley.. go figure.. :D:D

ATT has the worst customer service I've ever experienced - often 3rd party representatives that don't have the authority to resolve billing issues - they are designed to give you the run around. The idea is that you will grow frustrated and eventually give-up/forget about how they are screwing you.

A couple years ago I signed up for a "bring your own device plan" at ATT that doesn't require a contract, nor an activation fee.

They started service on my device and delayed the first bill in hopes that I wouldn't recognize how they set me up in a 2-year contract at $15 extra per month for the plan plus $5 extra per month for "miscellaneous" charges and a $50 activation fee.

I called customer service and was transferred 3 times - each time having to give my information and reiterate the problem. After an an hour and a half, a young woman said that it will all be sorted out in two weeks when your first bill is due.

Needless to say, the problem wasn't resolved so I called them back. Again, they tried to give me the run around and tried to "transfer" me. I said, why do you have to keep transferring me? She said, "Oh, well I don't directly work for ATT - hold on while I try to reach them."

So, I'm waiting, waiting and then some guy answers, "sir, are you still there?" I said yes. He said, "ok, hold on please."

I'm waiting and waiting and then he comes back on and asks if I'm still there. I said ya, still here. He said, "ok, hold on - I'm trying to patch you through."

I'm waiting and waiting - the same guy answers, "sir are you still there?" I said "Ya, I'm still here and I'm not fucking hanging up until this issue is resolved so you might as well just put me through right now."

I was immediately transferred and had to explain the entire problem once again. Finally it was resolved.

This experience also showed me how they screw their loyal customers. Those under contract were paying $15 extra for the same plan, plus an extra $5 in "miscellaneous" fees.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

I should add that tho I wouldn't recommend either company, I never had a problem with Verizon except the time a bad storm took out a local tower in a remote area - no biggie, shit happens.

Their customer service was always prompt and effective - no problem.

normiss

I've said many times that I would prefer to run from a Chicago cop than deal with ATT customer disservice.

It's unbelievable - I never experienced anything like it. Coming from such a big company, I have to believe it's deliberate.

Coreeece

I should add that tho I wouldn't recommend either company, I never had a problem with Verizon except the time a bad storm took out a local tower in a remote area - no biggie, shit happens.

I have had EXACTLY the opposite customer experience you and Normiss seem to have had with those 2 companies.

Amazon

***I should add that tho I wouldn't recommend either company, I never had a problem with Verizon except the time a bad storm took out a local tower in a remote area - no biggie, shit happens.

I have had EXACTLY the opposite customer experience you and Normiss seem to have had with those 2 companies.

Well, there's always the exception.:P

But still, it's 2 man votes against 1 woman vote.

Perhaps this should go to a poll?

Amazon

***I should add that tho I wouldn't recommend either company, I never had a problem with Verizon except the time a bad storm took out a local tower in a remote area - no biggie, shit happens.

It's because they know not to fuck you around. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Coverage varies regionally. In Texas AT&T has much better rural coverage than Verizon (The coverage maps seem pretty accurate for both). Verizon has better coverage nationally, but I would spend a few days a year in dead spots with them, and my AT&T service always works.

Two years to get rid of AT&T for lack of coverage.
Verizon - occasional drop
Verizon sent me an email that they could help me save money based on my usage report and lowered it $25.00/month.
Plus, they offer a military discount.
AT&T does not.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Although I'm not totally happy with Sprint and their service, I still get the deaf fooker discount. $55 a month unlimited everything! Hey, I'll take it. If I smash a phone, I get it replaced with a $100 deductible. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BIGUN

Plus, they offer a military discount.
AT&T does not.

Yes they do. Logging in to screenshot it on my account, I got this (attached).

I've had AT&T for a while, since 2007 or so.

I have Verizon on my iPad, so that I have connectivity when I fly into some remote airports on at least one of my devices. I've considered going to Verizon on my cell phone, but it sounds like the company is about to issue me a Verizon work phone, so I'll have both. (just what I always wanted to do, carry two iPhones):S

ETA: also, I still have unlimited data on my AT&T account, so I don't want to lose that either. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message