Amazon

WTF Over... its not safe to go in the water in FL now???

[:/]

I literally lived in the waters of the Gulf in the summers when I was a kid...swimming.. wading looking for scallops... blue crab and gigging flounder in the shallows of the Gulf.

In fact if you had any kind of ouchee at all going swimming in the salt water always seemed to make it all better and help it heal.
but now....

WTF over...
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/deadly-vibrio-vulnificus-bacteria-kills-florida-122528909562.html

Hmmm 1976.... and the thing is a relative of cholera

I never heard of this bug..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus

Vibrio vulnificus is a species of Gram-negative, motile, curved, rod-shaped (Bacillus), Pathogenic bacteria of the genus Vibrio. Present in marine environments such as estuaries, brackish ponds, or coastal areas, V. vulnificus is related to V. cholerae, the causative agent of cholera.[3],[4] Infection with V. vulnificus leads to rapidly expanding cellulitis or septicemia.[5]:279 It was first isolated as a source of disease in 1976.[6] The capsule, made of polysaccharides, is thought to protect against phagocytosis. The observed association of the infection with liver disease (associated with increased serum iron) might be due to the capability of more virulent strains to capture iron bound to transferrin. Toxin production plays a relevant role in pathogenicity.[7]

Amazon

[:/]

I literally lived in the waters of the Gulf in the summers when I was a kid...swimming.. wading looking for scallops... blue crab and gigging flounder in the shallows of the Gulf.

In fact if you had any kind of ouchee at all going swimming in the salt water always seemed to make it all better and help it heal.
but now....

WTF over...
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/deadly-vibrio-vulnificus-bacteria-kills-florida-122528909562.html

Either you are trolling, or . . . Maybe you missed this little snippet:

Before you panic, know this: Most people who died from Vibrio vulnificus had liver disease or had compromised immune systems. WTSP reports that Cason Yeager had been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder 10 years ago — but his mother says he had not had a problem since and was healthy at the time he became infected with the bacteria.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yep, this same bacteria convinced me to quit eating raw oysters for a while. Then I realized that they're just plain nasty, even without the bacteria. I do like them breaded and fried, Italian-style, though. I don't know if vibrio infections are relatively "new" here or just newly identified and tracked. So it's vibrio in saltwater and the amoeba in fresh water here. :P (At least you can see sharks and gators!)

turtlespeed

***[:/]

but now....

WTF over...

Before you panic, know this: Most people who died from Vibrio vulnificus had liver disease or had compromised immune systems. WTSP reports that Cason Yeager had been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder 10 years ago — but his mother says he had not had a problem since and was healthy at the time he became infected with the bacteria.

Plus if you have an open sore or exposed cut that salt water can come in contact with, you're at risk.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

******[:/]

but now....

WTF over...

Plus if you have an open sore or exposed cut that salt water can come in contact with, you're at risk.

We always counted on the salt water to help it heal when I was a kid.... and we always seemed to have cuts and scrapes.... we walked around barefoot most of the summer..... we got cuts from stickers..cuts from shells as we were wading.. not exactly a couch potato when we were kids down there... and the salt water NEVER caused an infection.

Amazon

*********[:/]

but now....

WTF over...

We always counted on the salt water to help it heal when I was a kid.... and we always seemed to have cuts and scrapes.... we walked around barefoot most of the summer..... we got cuts from stickers..cuts from shells as we were wading.. not exactly a couch potato when we were kids down there... and the salt water NEVER caused an infection.

Yeah, I hear you. It was the same way with me growing up going to the Alabama beach for 2 or 3 weeks every June. If I had a cold, I got better as soon as I got out there. I was more concerned about playing in ponds than lakes and beach water.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban