loveslavender

unnecessary roughness by JM

I think you'll find that like everything in life there are different personalities and different ways to do something. So you can either sit there feeling like crap and say nothing or have a conversation with that individual and point out that you didn't feel their style was constructive or appreciated. The second choice is seldom the easier thing to do but has the best chance of a positive outcome.

If the 2 above are not realistic how about going to your favourite jumpmaster and requesting that they do your future jumps, or having a conversation with them about the incident.

I can also see that as a female in a male dominated sport something that has worked for 20 years with a grumpy old JM manhandling people around may have been less unacceptable but there are definite gender differences. Understand they are the problem, not you.

-Michael

Spot on! Plus, you are paying them money--I understand completely where you are coming from. They are a customer service oriented business. I could not imagine someone from my dz acting like that.

They are a customer service oriented business.

True, but... Remember, 1st and foremost in any instructors obligation to their student, is their (relative) SAFETY. I will only merely add that the extent of "customer service" stops (in my mind clearly) at the line where safety could be breached.

Just for an example: I once had a student who was so CLEARLY stressed on the plane, and through his actions both during climb, and jumprun/movement to the door/set-up CLEARLY demonstrated to us as instructors, that our taking him out of the plane would have been an excessive danger and unnecessary risk to him if we did. We opted to move him back in plane, let the tandems exit around/by us, and take him down with the plane.

Later - this student was actually quite upset with us, and insistent that "he paid his money - he should have been allowed to exit/jump NO MATTER WHAT". Now, if he came on here, and complained one-sidedly that he was either "man-handled" and/or in any other way as a result of his experience, dis-served, would he probably convince some of you that oh-yes, he was absolutely right, and "bad instructors, bad instructors"! - ? Just some food for further thought (and perspective) is all.

And for the record, I *KNOW* and am not saying that this is the case necessarily of what happened here in this specific case. ...Again, just food for consideration / PERSPECTIVE is all. - FWIW.

Hoping (sincerely) that all your student experiences out there are absolutely nothing by soft, warm/fuzzy, puffy...
Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Good point about different students - from different backgrounds - requiring different methods.

For example, a young soldier may think his instructor "weird" if the instructor is gentle and 'toughy-feely" and frequently asks how the young soldier feels.

OTOH that may be the perfect treatment for someone of "gentle birth. Excessive profanity and roughness may over-whelm gentle students to the point that they cannot focus on their skydive.

The best instructors recognise that different students require different teaching styles.

The best instructors recognise that different students require different teaching styles.

We've gone down this discussion road before, and a lot of people simply disagree.
But...a flexible approach seems to be best.