michalm21

Any veterinarians? Cat ate a short string

Before I call my vet again, I figured I'd try to get some suggestions here.

6 days ago my silly big fat cat (15lbs) ate a piece of butcher's string that was wrapped around my beef... It was maybe 4 inches long and she swallowed it in no time!

So we called the vet immediately, and they said to monitor the cat for any vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and look through the litter box.

Well, it's now been 6 days, cat is normal, eats plenty, acts fine, no vomiting, no signs of discomfort or distress... but also no string in the litter box either.

So, before we panic, what should I ask the vet about then I call later tonight or tomorrow after it's been a week? It's possible that the sting bunched up in a ball and already was excreted - I could have missed it, but I doubt it. May still be in the stomach, may be in the intestine so I'm worrying it can cause some gradual intestinal issues.

Any ideas what I should insist on doing next? Vet will likely say to monitor, because they're not the 'we will do every test possible' type of vets, which can be good, but also could be a bit annoying.

Is 4" not long enough to worry about? I'm also looking into giving her some hairball paw gel for some extra lubrication...

Other suggestions?

Just called the better half (Veterinarian). She said that if the cat shows no signs of distress, vomiting, constipation, etc. after 6 days; she's probably alright. It usually passes after 3 days or is digested since most butcher string is organic. Having said that; if you're really concerned, you can ask the Vet for an X-Ray or Barium test.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Just called the better half (Veterinarian). She said that if the cat shows no signs of distress, vomiting, constipation, etc. after 6 days; she's probably alright. It usually passes after 3 days or is digested since most butcher string is organic. Having said that; if you're really concerned, you can ask the Vet for an X-Ray or Barium test.

Thanks for your post. I've wondered how digestible that thread was, it's possible it was already partially digested too! I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask if he would recommend any preventative screening.
Luckily all signs point to my cat being ok.

michalm21

Thanks Phillbo! She's a happy cat so far. I'll be keeping an eye on her.

I am not a vet, but I *do* have one cat who has eaten her fair share of weird and wonderful things..! By this point, when she does it I just feed her a little more wet food than usual and I keep a close eye on her to ensure she is still pooping/purring like she normally would. If not, *then* I take her for an x-ray... So far (thank goodness) she has never had any issues :)

EDIT: some of the stuff I have never found again, but neither has the x-rays!!! So even while being very thorough with the poop, it can pass without you noticing :D:P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***Thanks Phillbo! She's a happy cat so far. I'll be keeping an eye on her.

I am not a vet, but I *do* have one cat who has eaten her fair share of weird and wonderful things..! By this point, when she does it I just feed her a little more wet food than usual and I keep a close eye on her to ensure she is still pooping/purring like she normally would. If not, *then* I take her for an x-ray... So far (thank goodness) she has never had any issues :)

EDIT: some of the stuff I have never found again, but neither has the x-rays!!! So even while being very thorough with the poop, it can pass without you noticing :D:P

Has there been a turd on a string yet?

My cat had one of those after injesting some yarn from a cat toy.... I soooo wish I had a video of that... dingleturd on a 6" string:ph34r: as the cat ran thru the house being haunted by his "follower":D:D:D