superstu

lowest pulled

In going with this topic what is the lowest anyone would cutaway. Its my understanding that a reserve opens in around 500ft so dependent on circumstances there's no way i'd cutaway below 1000. That said I am always open by 2 grand or a little over. Just wondering what you guys would do?..

Reserves are TSO'd. To gain this rating, and be able to be used as reserves, they must be fully open and inflated whthin 3 seconds of deployment, at terminal.

Remember that after a cutaway (well, most of them) you are doing way less than terminal, so your reserve opening may be unpredictable. It may inflate soft and smooth as the air enters it, or you may not have enough drag on the pilot chute/ freebag to get a clean deployment.

You take your chances with a low chop, as it could go either way.

I've seen a chop that was estimated at just over 300 feet. No RSL. The reserve opened, and she flared with rear risers. That one happened to work out. I also witnessed a chop at about 1100 (with an rsl). That particualr reserve made a snivelly Stiletto look like a fast opener. His heart was poundin' on the ground. All he could say was "Damn, 300 feet lower on that chop and I wouldn't be here anymore".

Like I said, ya take your chances on a subterminal (low) reserve deployment. They are designed and packed to get material over your head fast, but with terminal velocity in mind. Personally, if I find myself with a bad mal under 700, I'm going for 2 out.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

B|Old habits are hard to die!Last time I pulled at 2000 was on a 4-way dive at my home dropzone.(many years ago)Since then test jumping parachutes really changed my attitudes about how high I pull.Now,rarely do I pull lower than 3,500.Just because USPA says a D no. can pull at 2000 doesn,t mean you have to.

Just because USPA says a D no. can pull at 2000 doesn,t mean you have to.

No shit...on normal skydives I like to open no later than 3000Ft. I'll open higher if I'm done tracking. Lower if there is traffic but I certainly like 3000Ft. Especially the day I had a 3 second or so P/C hesitation and ate up about 800 extra Ft. ;)
I was DEFINATELY glad I had initially thrown out at 3K that time.

...not to bust you on your math or anything like that but 800 ft would be closer to 5 seconds.... unless you were in a stand ;). Sec #2.5... WTF?!? The next 2.5 sec better be automatic :o... been there...

My lowest 'intentional' pull is 2200 ft per my CoP. My raven opens in about 3-400 ft so I have 'lots' of time (and lots of backachesB|) before decision altitude. HOWEVER my last weekend out (0 deg f at altitude) I missed my handle at pull time(frozen hands, now own waterski gloves for the really cold ones). Pull #2 went fine but my alti said 'about' 1500 under canopy. Close enough for me, thanks... I LIKE a long canopy ride and if by magic our C-182 started pulling us a grand higher I'm one of the guys that would pull a grand higher.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

...not to bust you on your math or anything like that but 800 ft would be closer to 5 seconds.... unless you were in a stand

Actually.....sucked it a bit low on break off from a 5 way free fly. Made a short duration track which slowed me some but I'm sure I was still going faster than "normal belly speed." Pithced at 3K or so. Alti said 1700ft in the saddle. I'm usually open right around 2200-2500. 800 was just a guess and the 3 sec came from the ever so scientific method of counting "One-thousand, Two-thousand, Three-thousand" while playing back my video......LMAO :D

...not to bust you on your math or anything like that but 800 ft would be closer to 5 seconds.... unless you were in a stand

Actually.....sucked it a bit low on break off from a 5 way free fly. Made a short duration track which slowed me some but I'm sure I was still going faster than "normal belly speed." Pithced at 3K or so. Alti said 1700ft in the saddle. I'm usually open right around 2200-2500. 800 was just a guess and the 3 sec came from the ever so scientific method of counting "One-thousand, Two-thousand, Three-thousand" while playing back my video......LMAO :D

still, you're average during those 3 secs should be 180 mph. that's average and you mentioned
that you slowed down a little bit. i doubt your free fly speed is over 200 mph :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

1800' AGL is my "Hard Deck" i've pulled at 1900' AGL before, but not on purpose, what am i saying? of course it was on purpose, i lost altitude awareness, and didn't pay any attention to my audibles. was in the saddle by 1300'-1400' AGL, so it was all good, thank god i didn't have a mal!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Bearing in mind that both of these incidents happened in the 80's
before audio altimeters and Cypres existed:

1. In the saddle of a reserve at 400' according to witnesses.

2. In a 3-way round with the 4th guy about 6 feet away from
docking when I checked my chest-strap altimeter, and it
read 1100'. I broke my grips; pushed away; and dumped right
there. For the life of me I don't know how the other three
all managed to get open in time. I was looking down watching
them open, positive I was going to see at least two bounce.

There is more to both stories, but it is late and I'm tired.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

exited at 3300ft i were under my xfire99 at 1000ft(cypres off)
exit at 2000ft had 9seconds,dont rember the alti
i have mad 3 seconds from 400ft on a BASE, guess that alti will be way lower this summerB|:ph34r:(but dont expext i make that kind of delay thenB|)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I used to jump T-10s' and MC1-1s' static line at 800' on a regular basis with the military, but the norm was 1250' for fixed wing and 1500' for a rotor wing. As silly as it sounds, I like jumping rounds, combat equipment at night. It's an awsome feeling. I'm a rigger in the reserves now, so most of my military jumps are daytime, but as long as the govt is providing, I'm not bitching.

Man the Govt paying that's sweet...Mine has been also in he military at 1250 too the lowest in static line, yet in squares 2,200, on the saddle at 1800....

Do not like the idea of pushing the envolope so I went back up to 3.5-4K...
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

The lowest I ever pulled was on a toilet roll while I needed to wipe my ass in the Pittsburgh crapper in the basement of my parets house. That would be at least 4 feet below ground level.B|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

[QUOTE] think I'm gonna pull at 1000 tomorrow. I need to feel alive.[/QUOTE]

if youre gonna pull low to feel alive why not pull at around 650-700 ft? Make sure you pack well. B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...