maggyrider

Why does skydiving attract so many conspiracists?

In the few years I have been into skydiving now I have met more people believing in (and sometimes religiously preaching) conspiracy theories than ever before.
For example:
- 9/11 was an inside job
- chemtrails
- NWO
- hollow earth
- Anunnaki (Aliens created humans as work slaves)
- Germany is a company not a state (see BRD-GmbH)
- and many more

I don't really want to discuss those conspiracy theories here, but I am actually interested if you also have the feeling that the amount of people believing in such stuff is higher amongst skydivers than amongst the "normal" population.
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.

Phil1111

I take it you've never been on either a gun forum, or a political party forum, or a environmental forum?:)

Or speakers corner.

Has anyone returned a tent to walmart lately?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

maggyrider

...but I am actually interested if you also have the feeling that the amount of people believing in such stuff is higher amongst skydivers than amongst the "normal" population.

Not really.

The thing I've found is that skydivers are more open with each other about everything.

So people who wouldn't talk about this sort of stuff with their neighbors, co-workers, the people in line at the grocery, ect are willing to talk about it at the bonfire after jumping, sitting around during a weather hold, or any other down time at the DZ.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

GD64

The weed ;)

Just because weed makes you paranoid - doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

NewGuy2005

What?? Explain, please!

There was a long time conspiracy believer (I hate calling them "theories") who preached long and hard about Sept 11 being a plot by the US (nanothermite, Jenga, ice blocks, nonexistent airplanes, all that shit) and also preached about the Rothchilds, Illuminati and a few of the other "world domination conspiracy" crap ideas (no aliens IIRC).

He posted that he had bought a tent from WalMart, used it at a DZ for a while, then took it back for a full refund. He first claimed that he was justified in doing it because of WalMart's bad behavior. When told that it was still fraud and that "two wrongs don't make a right" he backtracked and blustered and it was generally hilarious.

He got banned, came back a few times as a sockpuppet, got perma-banned, kept coming back, got his DZ IP addy banned, still came back. He seemed to think that it was a great accomplishment to create sockpuppet accounts and post on here.

I guess he thinks that Sangrio and Dizzy dot are part of the "world domination."

Edit to add:

Wait a minute. You've been around longer than me. You should remember this...

Fine, fine gentleman. Yeah, that's what he was.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

maggyrider

In the few years I have been into skydiving now I have met more people believing in (and sometimes religiously preaching) conspiracy theories than ever before.
For example:
- 9/11 was an inside job
- chemtrails
- NWO
- hollow earth
- Anunnaki (Aliens created humans as work slaves)
- Germany is a company not a state (see BRD-GmbH)
- and many more

I don't really want to discuss those conspiracy theories here, but I am actually interested if you also have the feeling that the amount of people believing in such stuff is higher amongst skydivers than amongst the "normal" population.

It's Hollow Moon ....... not Hollow Earth, duh ...... :)

Life is short ... jump often.

wolfriverjoe

***...but I am actually interested if you also have the feeling that the amount of people believing in such stuff is higher amongst skydivers than amongst the "normal" population.

Not really.

The thing I've found is that skydivers are more open with each other about everything.

So people who wouldn't talk about this sort of stuff with their neighbors, co-workers, the people in line at the grocery, ect are willing to talk about it at the bonfire after jumping, sitting around during a weather hold, or any other down time at the DZ.

Bingo!

wolfriverjoe

What?? Explain, please!

There was a long time conspiracy believer (I hate calling them "theories") who preached long and hard about Sept 11 being a plot by the US (nanothermite, Jenga, ice blocks, nonexistent airplanes, all that shit) and also preached about the Rothchilds, Illuminati and a few of the other "world domination conspiracy" crap ideas (no aliens IIRC).

He posted that he had bought a tent from WalMart, used it at a DZ for a while, then took it back for a full refund. He first claimed that he was justified in doing it because of WalMart's bad behavior. When told that it was still fraud and that "two wrongs don't make a right" he backtracked and blustered and it was generally hilarious.

He got banned, came back a few times as a sockpuppet, got perma-banned, kept coming back, got his DZ IP addy banned, still came back. He seemed to think that it was a great accomplishment to create sockpuppet accounts and post on here.

I guess he thinks that Sangrio and Dizzy dot are part of the "world domination."

Edit to add:

Hell yes!! I remember that nut job. I remember the Wal-Mart tent, too. What a wanker. Thanks!

wolfriverjoe

What?? Explain, please!

Edit to add:

He was a member of my long list of blocked MAROONS... and as one parting shot when we still had email.... one of his sockpuppet names sent me an email that was so steeped in idiocy it gave me a huge laugh....

Imagine me as a member of the New World Order Bilderburger conspiracy.. WTF over..... I am thinking someone did not have a firm grip on reality.:S:S:S
Last I heard he was working in Dubai.... and still running his mouth with the same idiocy.

Amazon

What?? Explain, please!

Edit to add:

He was a member of my long list of blocked MAROONS... and as one parting shot when we still had email.... one of his sockpuppet names sent me an email that was so steeped in idiocy it gave me a huge laugh....

Imagine me as a member of the New World Order Bilderburger conspiracy.. WTF over..... I am thinking someone did not have a firm grip on reality.:S:S:S
Last I heard he was working in Dubai.... and still running his mouth with the same idiocy.

Let me guess.... JohnRich?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

What?? Explain, please!

Edit to add:

John wouldn't steal.

Rhys

BillyVance

What?? Explain, please!

Edit to add:

Nope.... our intrepid Wal Mart tent returner... ...or the Jews did 9/11 theorist..
John and I always got along more or less unlike people like the ill named Peaceful dud.... etc

Boomerdog

It's the USPA!! And, the BCA. They are behind it.

You forgot to blame Bush!:S
He's behind all of it!:S

Of course he is.

[urlhttp://www.mujca.com/deathlizards.htm ]He's a Lizard.[/url]

When are you sheeple going to understand?

:P

wolfriverjoe

It's the USPA!! And, the BCA. They are behind it.

You forgot to blame Bush!:S
He's behind all of it!:S

Of course he is.

He's a Lizard.

When are you sheeple going to understand?

:P

10 years . . . And I still have to fix these for you.:D:P:P

jakee

***The weed ;)

I was going to say the acid:P

(I'd forgotten all about Rhys's Jenga experiments. Holy crap that guy was awesome!)

You sent me searching...Rhys's Jenga? I just knew that had to be some of that sophisticated English humor that went over the head of this Mercian country boy. After tripping over it on YouTube, while singing "Purple Haze all in my brain, lately things don't seem the same......" I came to the conclusion that Jakee is on to something, or on something. I'm leaning towards the later :P

As much gobbledygook as there is out there... we cannot forget this speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYgLLahHv8

Not all 'conspiracy theories' are incorrect nor irrelevant.

Calling someone a 'conspiracy theorist' in regards to the JFK assassination for example defines them from those that believe the official dogma.

On the other hand calling someone a 'conspiracy theorist' in the case of 9/11, as many do, does not. Doing so is actually hypocritical as there is no possible way for that event to be anything other than a conspiracy, whatever you believe.

Using the term to regard someone as 'automatically incorrect' is also quite absurd.

That said;

Skydivers come from all walks of life, but I would place money on there being just as many 'conspiracists' (as it was put) in any sport or group of people with a large and diverse number.

Whether they are willing to talk about it is a different story. The usual rhetoric will ensue if one dares question the majority's assertion.

People are scared of ridicule.

I guess skydivers being willing to 'take a risk' if I may put it that way, might make skydivers more likely to talk about it if they have a question, than maybe a group playing lawn bowls...