piisfish

FlyBoard new flying machine

From a friend who is a jet pack fanatic:

Jetcat P200-RX is rated at 24.7 fl oz per minute at full thrust of 52 lbsf. Then having 4 turbines would be 98.8 fl oz/minute or 0.77 gal/min. Since a gal of jet-A or kerosene weighs about 6.5 lbs, then to fly 5 minutes the pilot would need to carry 32.5 lbs of fuel.

Just for scale comparisons a standard Sparkletts bottle of water is 5 gallons.

Also, if you need 32.5 lbs of fuel and presumably the device itself weighs a few pounds (10? 20?) you're looking at a max pilot weight of about 150 (assuming the 4 x 52 lbs of thrust talked about in the above quote).

I'm going to assume it actually requires slightly higher thrust to pull this off, but that also requires more fuel as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

From a friend who is a jet pack fanatic:

Jetcat P200-RX is rated at 24.7 fl oz per minute at full thrust of 52 lbsf. Then having 4 turbines would be 98.8 fl oz/minute or 0.77 gal/min. Since a gal of jet-A or kerosene weighs about 6.5 lbs, then to fly 5 minutes the pilot would need to carry 32.5 lbs of fuel.

Not very efficient and this is in part, because the turbines are single stage. The original jetpack of Bell Aerosystems using the Williams Research WR19 turbine weighed 49 lbs, put out 410 lbsf and consumed 64 fl oz/minute at full thrust. However it was a 2 stage turbine with a bypass fan.

Still, a remarkable engineering feat. So amazing to watch the video. When will we see tandems ;)?

My question is - how soon before a remote "return to base" can be initialized and then - a BASE Jump may have a new letter. - P for platform
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

My question is - how soon before a remote "return to base" can be initialized and then - a BASE Jump may have a new letter. - P for platform

Well technically at that point it is not a BASE jump, it is a jump from an aircraft. But it could be a popular BASE style option in that it could open up terrain lines (especially for wingsuits) that don't have the cliff vertical required for an exit point. Basically similar to what guys do now with a helicopter, but on a smaller scale.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

Well technically at that point it is not a BASE jump, it is a jump from an aircraft. But it could be a popular BASE style option in that it could open up terrain lines (especially for wingsuits) that don't have the cliff vertical required for an exit point. Basically similar to what guys do now with a helicopter, but on a smaller scale.

Fine - pop my bubble!;)

:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

SethInMI

id like one of these things with a "return to home" function.
then I wouldn't have to climb antennas for hours lol!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121