ryoder

Trailer: "The Hateful Eight"(2015) directed by Tarantino

Interesting little video about the technical details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGg2N32Z-co
Tarantino filmed it in "Ultra Panavision 70", which has not been used since 1966! The video does not explain the relationship between shooting in 65, and printing in 70, so here is the explanation:

"65 mm film was used to capture images in these processes. The projection print, however, was 70 mm film stock. The extra 5 mm on the positive projection print was used to accommodate six-track stereo sound."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Panavision_70

Samuel L Jackson is sort of annoying until he throws in the zinger at 5:30.:D:D:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Squeak

Dammit, there's not a chance of me seeing the 70mm version here.>:(>:(>:(>:(

Well, if you want to see the location in higher resolution, then you can add this to your next US visit: http://www.schmidranchtelluride.com/index.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Classic Tarantino!
I loved it!

I was apparently the only one in the packed theater that understood what it means when the screen says "Intermission".
I stood up and walked out hearing laughter.
As I was leaving the restroom, the theater was finally emptying.
:D:D:D

normiss

Classic Tarantino!
I loved it!

I was apparently the only one in the packed theater that understood what it means when the screen says "Intermission".
I stood up and walked out hearing laughter.
As I was leaving the restroom, the theater was finally emptying.
:D:D:D

Saw it today in 70mm. Really enjoyed it. Quentin's best? Maybe not but I have no complaints. Thanks to your tip that there was going to be an intermission, I was the first one to hit the men's room. As I left the restroom the line was 20 people long waiting to get in.

On a side note, the ifly tunnel they are building next to the theatre (King of Prussia, PA) that was supposed to open "late 2015 or early 2016" is months from being completed.

Saw it today and I think maybe Tarantino has gone off his nut.

It's not that it's bad, but for all the hoopla over the 70mm and his desire that it had to have at least a few showings in actual 70mm film in NY and LA so his artistic vision would be fulfilled -- meh.

I saw nothing I could say required 70mm film. Not a frame of it. Some of it looked like bad "green screen."

I just don't get it when it came to that aspect.

It was no "Inglorious Basterds" when it came to tension and suspense either.

If a person is a fan or follower of Tarantino's body of work, it's a must see, but otherwise I can't actually recommend it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Just got around to seeing it.

A good Agatha Christie who-done-it. With lots of blood...

So what was the purpose of having to nail the cabin door shut every time someone entered? I kept expecting that to play a role in the plot somewhere, and it never did. It was just stupid. Was it supposed to be symbolic of the group of travelers trapped together in the blizzard?

And with all of talk about the blow job, Samuel T. seemed to use every modern nickname for a penis, like "Johnson". It seemed stupid. That nickname probably didn't even exist in that time frame. Such rough men would have just called a dick a "dick". What was the point of avoiding the obvious words? They sure didn't mind using the "N" word, as that word was uttered probably 200 times. So why would "dick" be so wrong?

Next, there there were several tables lit up with bright light like there was a skylight in the roof. Which of course, there wasn't because they hadn't been invented yet, and would have been covered under feet of snow anyway. So it was obviously artificial spotlights, used to give reflective light to the actor's faces sitting at the table. Could have done that better.

Then there were some political zingers, like Sameul T saying; "The only way that black men are safe is when white men are disarmed." I don't think that was meant only for the 1870's.

Except for some minor stuff like that, I enjoyed the plot.

Hellbender

Just got around to seeing it.

A good Agatha Christie who-done-it. With lots of blood...

So what was the purpose of having to nail the cabin door shut every time someone entered? I kept expecting that to play a role in the plot somewhere, and it never did. It was just stupid. Was it supposed to be symbolic of the group of travelers trapped together in the blizzard?

And with all of talk about the blow job, Samuel T. seemed to use every modern nickname for a penis, like "Johnson". It seemed stupid. That nickname probably didn't even exist in that time frame. Such rough men would have just called a dick a "dick". What was the point of avoiding the obvious words? They sure didn't mind using the "N" word, as that word was uttered probably 200 times. So why would "dick" be so wrong?

Next, there there were several tables lit up with bright light like there was a skylight in the roof. Which of course, there wasn't because they hadn't been invented yet, and would have been covered under feet of snow anyway. So it was obviously artificial spotlights, used to give reflective light to the actor's faces sitting at the table. Could have done that better.

Then there were some political zingers, like Sameul T saying; "The only way that black men are safe is when white men are disarmed." I don't think that was meant only for the 1870's.

Except for some minor stuff like that, I enjoyed the plot.

From answers....

Word Origin and History for 'Johnson'
johnson, n., 'penis', 1863, perhaps related to the British slang 'John Thomas' which has the same meaning, 1887.
Online Etymology Dictionary, 2010, Douglas Harper

I just found this great piece of trivia:

The guitar that Daisy Domergue plays while singing "Jim Jones at Botany Bay" was a priceless antique from the 1870s on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum. At the end of the song, the script called from John Ruth to grab the guitar and smash it to pieces. Six replicas were built for the shoot, and were supposed to be substituted for the real instrument for the smashing shot, but due to a miscommunication Kurt Russell was not informed and destroyed the original guitar before anyone could stop him. Jennifer Jason Leigh's shocked reaction to this is genuine, and can be seen in the released film. The Martin Guitar Museum subsequently announced they would never loan guitars to film shoots again.

Oops!:$

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/trivia

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3A0BIkvu8