Elisha

Evolution of the changing meaning of words

The other reason for linguistic shift is to distinguish sub-cultures.
Kids want to sound as "cool" as their favourite athletes or musicians.

For example: skate-boarders took the word "sick" (which used to mean "ill") and transformed it to mean "wow," "awesome," "crazy stunt," etc.

If you use old words at a skate-board park, you will never be allowed to ride with the "in crowd."

gnarley

Despite bastardization in recent years to the alternate spelling, Narley, gnarley is akin to rad - a late-1980s - early-1990s term, meaning "exceptional", or "cool". Developed on the West Coast, and used primarily by surfers and skateboarders.

"Hey bra, d'dya scope that gnarley tide?"
"Tscha! That was a ripple, man!"

SOURCE: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gnarley
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ugly American, used to describe the culturally insensitive, or rude things Americans do that make people of other countries/cultures dislike us.

Um, no. That moniker comes from a book of the same name, in which the title character simply was physically unattractive. This guy was a diplomat in the fictional country of the book and behaved counter to the arrogant, uneducated ways of his colleagues. He lived with the regular population, learned the language, learned the culture; and as a result, was able to do his job much more effectively by understanding the citizens and their issues.

While I may regret the way and reason the phrase has taken on the opposite meaning of that character, I think it pains me more than necessary because so few of my peers (who operate internationally) have read the book. [:/]

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I have several linguistic pet hates, but the one which probably irks me the most is when 'like' is used to mean 'said', as in "....and so I was like sure, man" instead of "and so I said 'Sure, man'".

This way of speaking has become all pervasive and is most evident among the so-called celebrities these days. I find it extremely difficult to engage in conversation with someone who speaks like that.

Many of the posters on this forum use this evolution bastardisation of the language frequently.

Linguistic pet peeves are even more fun. Some great ones have come up, but man I hate it when people use "utilize" instead of "use" willy-nilly, generally just to sound more sophistimacated or something.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Another -- using "due to" rather than "because of" or "as a result of".

Probably perfectly correct, but for some reason it has always grated on my ears. Also, using "quantum leap" when describing a large advancement.

But I usually ignore these types of things if I think I'm getting someone's meaning in the context the conversation. I usually only call someone on spelling and other misuses if I'm losing an argument and have no other response to support my position.

riggerrob

The other reason for linguistic shift is to distinguish sub-cultures.
Kids want to sound as "cool" as their favourite athletes or musicians.

For example: skate-boarders took the word "sick" (which used to mean "ill") and transformed it to mean "wow," "awesome," "crazy stunt," etc.

I'd say slang is a whole 'nother animal, a conscious inversion of meaning to confuse outsiders and form a bond with a group. I doubt any skate boarder will be using "epitome" or "decimate" on the ramps anytime soon.

Funny you said how "sick" used to mean "ill". Last I checked, "ill" was slang for cool, gnarly, etc. :D

I have several linguistic pet hates, but the one which probably irks me the most is when 'like' is used to mean 'said', as in "....and so I was like sure, man" instead of "and so I said 'Sure, man'".

I was reading school reviews of a county we're thinking of moving to last night. One of the students at the local high school actually typed out a conversational "like" in their review. They actually thought it needed to be in the sentence. They weren't using it to mean said, the sentence was approximately, "... and the teachers are like super cool."

- Dan G

DanG

I was reading school reviews of a county we're thinking of moving to last night. One of the students at the local high school actually typed out a conversational "like" in their review. They actually thought it needed to be in the sentence. They weren't using it to mean said, the sentence was approximately, "... and the teachers are like super cool."

One peeve to follow this ^^ -- Starting conversations (most reporters start their interviews this way) with, "so, okay...."

The other peeve is the incorrect use of the reflexive because the speaker thinks it sounds more professional. Ex: "If you have any trouble in the process, please come see Mr. Brown or myself." I think I've had some influence in getting it out of narrative summaries of military awards (at least at my commend). Many of them, at the end, read, "Colonel White's steadfast devotion to duty reflected great credit upon herself, ..." :S

Shut Up & Jump!

One of my linguistic pet peeves is when people, particularly journalists and other authors, write begs the question when they mean raises the question.

Begs the question implies the use of circular logic.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

TriGirl

One peeve to follow this ^^ -- Starting conversations (most reporters start their interviews this way) with, "so, okay...."

"OK, so we got a trooper pulls someone over, we got a shooting, these folks drive by, there's a high-speed pursuit, ends here and then this execution-type deal.'

(Best when spoken in a Minnesota accent.):D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

TriGirl

....Starting conversations (most reporters start their interviews this way) with, "so, okay...."

The incorrect use of 'so' has become very common down here, especially when answering a question. For example, a financial journalist might ask "To what do you attribute the gains of the Rand against the Dollar?" and the expert replies with "So the emerging markets.......". It drives me to distraction!

I have been amazed at the speed with which these bad linguistic habits spread! I am in IT and these days I cannot attend any gathering of more than two people with at least one of them abusing "So" in this way.

I have a feeling that a lot of these pet peeves will be common usage in 50 years, when most of us aren't around to object any more.
Look at the "destruction" of gay, queer, the alternative usage of cloud (while it still have its in-nature meaning, the internet meaning is going to impact other uses of it; 'cloud of confusion' might end up being something entirely different :o

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Improper use of karma is another one. It traditionally refers to the belief that, roughly speaking, actions in this life will help determine the starting position in future lives. It has nothing to do with actions in this life coming back to bite us later on in the same life.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I don't understand the need, or use, of "THE" in front of names of cities, freeways, etc. Examples: "We will be flying to THE California next week". "Traffic on THE 80 is slow
this evening". "THE Yosemite is open for camping this week". Right or wrong, it sounds dumb .......... and drives me crazy. :S

Life is short ... jump often.

Totally local and cultural. Consider how in the US we say "in the hospital" but "in school." The Brits say "in hospital" and "in school." English isn't just one language.

Wendy P.

wmw999

I have a feeling that a lot of these pet peeves will be common usage in 50 years, when most of us aren't around to object any more.
Look at the "destruction" of gay, queer, the alternative usage of cloud (while it still have its in-nature meaning, the internet meaning is going to impact other uses of it; 'cloud of confusion' might end up being something entirely different :o

Wendy P.

Tangent: I'm in a career transition seminar this week, and one of the job search references we've learned is TagCloud. It gives a group of words that, in varying degrees, are tag words used for the type of job you want to find. The guy sitting next to me was using it today. As it was refreshing, the "while you wait" message on the website was, "we're re-fluffing the cloud!" :o

Shut Up & Jump!

>I don't understand the need, or use, of "THE" in front of names of cities, freeways, etc. Examples: "We will be flying to THE California next week". "Traffic on THE 80 is slow."

On the other hand these also sound odd:

"I will be taking Takonic upstate tomorrow."
"Are you on LIE?"

jumpsalot-2

I don't understand the need, or use, of "THE" in front of names of cities, freeways, etc. Examples: "We will be flying to THE California next week". "Traffic on THE 80 is slow
this evening". "THE Yosemite is open for camping this week". Right or wrong, it sounds dumb .......... and drives me crazy. :S

Only happens in California.

Nowhere in the rest of the US does this happen to be common usage, btw.

We Californians (those of us who were born and raised there) never ever used to call California "Cali". :S That must have become common after I grew up………. By those who grew up elsewhere.

Just sayin'. :P

But we did grow up calling freeways "the". Places not so much.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

We Californians (those of us who were born and raised there) never ever used to call California "Cali". :S That must have become common after I grew up………. By those who grew up elsewhere.

Probably. The first time I heard "Cali" was back during my little wiglet years in the 80's listening to LL Cool J - Going Back To Cali.

. . .but to the point of the thread, it bugs when I'm out in public or friends come to my house and ask, "do you mind?"

"Do you mind if I sit here?"
"Do you mind if I have a beer?"

I'll say "ya, of course" - and then they proceed to sit down and/or drink my bloody beer every fucking time as if I said "no, absolutely not."
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour