Elisha

Evolution of the changing meaning of words

Let's see if this can stay here and not for some reason get moved to SC.

Here goes....

Does it bug many here how the meaning of words get corrupted and changed over time? Is there anywhere to find out a loose timeline of this?

Yes, we can talk about words like "gay" or "supper" (vs dinner), but that's old hat (hmmm...I picked up that phrase from someone. I never used to say that).

I'm really more into the changing meaning (or corruption or wrong usage) I hear of words in the business world. The typical business bullsh*t bingo buzzwords, yes. The two that bother me the most from my present job is "velocity" and "variance". Velocity has always been related to objects in actual motion - explaining the physics of something. Using velocity in place of rate of sale just bugs the crap out of me. For example, in response to asking why a certain price promotional discount is requested, I get, "To increase velocities." I mean WFT people!! :S>:( The accounting world using variance instead of difference bugs me. A variance would be a difference squared, but maybe this usage of variance has more merit.

Chime in people!

Here's a tip I learned a bajillion years go (metaphorical bajillion obviously), if at any point in any conversation anyone begins using buzzword bingo rather than speaking in clear and plain language, it's either because they've been brainwashed as part of a cult or they're trying to cover something up.

Sit back and think about this for a few minutes as see if it's not true in pretty much every case you've ever encountered.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've heard velocity and variance misused as you mention and I fully sympathize.

"Technically"
"Feasible"

The abuse these two words receive is painful. My skull literally (:P) explodes each time. I hear these lately and I just walk away.

Oh, and since it's a skydiving website (the "Darkside" was always CrW - if another discipline wants a cool word, they should make up their own rather than hijack one that was around before it was born. It comes across as sad and needy.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The very nature of language is change.

The world is forever changing, and language changes to reflect the new circumstances. Sure, people always have, and always will use words incorrectly due to ignorance, but if a word or phrase is used "incorrectly" often enough, it changes the actual meaning of the word so that it eventually becomes the new correct word, or at least the accepted usage.

There have been very few instances where language has stagnated for any length of time; usually it only happens when a small group becomes isolated. This is becoming increasingly rare, given our (mostly) global existence. Interaction between local populations introduces new ideas and behaviors between the groups. It would be strange to think that the language wouldn't show how the change affects the groups.

And then there is new information and technology which needs to incorporated into the language base to express formerly unknown ideas. These new words seem to appear across many languages resulting in a common usage of a tech word.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

quade

Here's a tip I learned a bajillion years go (metaphorical bajillion obviously), if at any point in any conversation anyone begins using buzzword bingo rather than speaking in clear and plain language, it's either because they've been brainwashed as part of a cult or they're trying to cover something up.

Sit back and think about this for a few minutes as see if it's not true in pretty much every case you've ever encountered.

:D:D Sure, I'm sure a bunch of brainwashing occurs. But I think there is a lot out there who are not brainwashed per say, but just stupid or ignorantly/lazily adopt the jargon because everyone else is using it. Sheeple/lemmings, etc.

Language slowly evolves through use or misuse ...even to the point that, in only a few hundred years, not only words, but pronunciation becomes unrecognizable. As a current example, the word "gender" really had little to do with "sex" until it did.

Even the "bullshit bingo" sheet has changed with time. I had one from 1974 (mimeographed, no less :D); it didn't have "source" on it.

The thing to remember is that it really doesn't matter in the long run as long as you own yourself. When you talk or do the presenting, by and large you can use the words you choose.

And you can think ill of these pathetic excuses for technical experts or business mavens behind their backs :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Elisha

***Here's a tip I learned a bajillion years go (metaphorical bajillion obviously), if at any point in any conversation anyone begins using buzzword bingo rather than speaking in clear and plain language, it's either because they've been brainwashed as part of a cult or they're trying to cover something up.

:D:D Sure, I'm sure a bunch of brainwashing occurs. But I think there is a lot out there who are not brainwashed per say, but just stupid or ignorantly/lazily adopt the jargon because everyone else is using it. Sheeple/lemmings, etc.

Which amounts to the same thing as brainwashing if you think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_control

They've given up thinking for themselves. The only difference is the level of fight a person puts up.

Control the language and everything becomes double plus good.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

wmw999

Even the "bullshit bingo" sheet has changed with time. I had one from 1974 (mimeographed, no less :D); it didn't have "source" on it.

The thing to remember is that it really doesn't matter in the long run as long as you own yourself. When you talk or do the presenting, by and large you can use the words you choose.

And you can think ill of these pathetic excuses for technical experts or business mavens behind their backs :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Do post a pic if you can!

Sorry; I moved last year, and got rid of some of the more archeological of my work stuff :ph34r:. You'll just have to believe me. :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Language evolves; words change their meaning. That doesn't bother me. What does bother me a little is how words which have different meanings in different contexts are used loosely, without clarification as to what is the intended meaning, often (but not always) deliberately in order to promote an emotional reaction. Examples include "chemicals" and "brainwashing".

bgrozev

Language evolves; words change their meaning. That doesn't bother me. What does bother me a little is how words which have different meanings in different contexts are used loosely, without clarification as to what is the intended meaning, often (but not always) deliberately in order to promote an emotional reaction. Examples include "chemicals" and "brainwashing".

I have to agree... The word "terrific" has come to mean "really great" whereas it originally meant "inspires terror..."
"Awesome" meant "to inspire awe" and not "very cool..."
"Literally" meant "actually" and not "I-swear-it's-so-freakin-unbelievable-that-I-have-to-exagerate-the-shit-out-of-it."

However, worse than that is what you say: using vague words to get a reaction from (ignorant) people. One of our interns was telling a story which I doubt is true... She claimed her friend and her got detained during an airport security check because her friend's luggage didn't pass the swab test for explosives... And apparently what set off the explosives detector were the "chemicals" found in her make-up... Because she had SO MUCH makeup it made the machine beep (because wouldn't ya know her friend worked for L'Oreal)... And doesn't that just scare you that they put the same stuff in bombs as you put on your FACE???

And to this I answered: if you were told that "water" was an essential component/ingredient in the fabrication of bombs, does that mean you should stop drinking water???
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***Language evolves; words change their meaning. That doesn't bother me. What does bother me a little is how words which have different meanings in different contexts are used loosely, without clarification as to what is the intended meaning, often (but not always) deliberately in order to promote an emotional reaction. Examples include "chemicals" and "brainwashing".

I have to agree... The word "terrific" has come to mean "really great" whereas it originally meant "inspires terror..."
"Literally" meant "actually" and not "I-swear-it's-so-freakin-unbelievable-that-I-have-to-exagerate-the-shit-out-of-it."

However, worse than that is what you say: using vague words to get a reaction from (ignorant) people. One of our interns was telling a story which I doubt is true... She claimed her friend and her got detained during an airport security check because her friend's luggage didn't pass the swab test for explosives... And apparently what set off the explosives detector were the "chemicals" found in her make-up... Because she had SO MUCH makeup it made the machine beep (because wouldn't ya know her friend worked for L'Oreal)... And doesn't that just scare you that they put the same stuff in bombs as you put on your FACE???

And to this I answered: if you were told that "water" was an essential component/ingredient in the fabrication of bombs, does that mean you should stop drinking water???

I just call that stupidity as opposed to changing word meaning or misusing words. ;):P

oldwomanc6

The very nature of language is change.

The world is forever changing, and language changes to reflect the new circumstances. Sure, people always have, and always will use words incorrectly due to ignorance, but if a word or phrase is used "incorrectly" often enough, it changes the actual meaning of the word so that it eventually becomes the new correct word, or at least the accepted usage.

There have been very few instances where language has stagnated for any length of time; usually it only happens when a small group becomes isolated. This is becoming increasingly rare, given our (mostly) global existence. Interaction between local populations introduces new ideas and behaviors between the groups. It would be strange to think that the language wouldn't show how the change affects the groups.

And then there is new information and technology which needs to incorporated into the language base to express formerly unknown ideas. These new words seem to appear across many languages resulting in a common usage of a tech word.

Why did I always think that the very nature of language was to communicate ideas and thoughts.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***The very nature of language is change.

Why did I always think that the very nature of language was to communicate ideas and thoughts.:)

Nope, that's the purpose. Be precise. Sheesh! ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Nataly

[

My pet peeve of definition drift? The word "epitome".

From Greek epi - center and tome - cut, it means "cross section" or "quintessential". It does NOT mean "apogee", "best", or "pinnacle".

Sorry, that's the word Nazi in me coming out. :P:D

entre used on USA menus to describe the MAIN meal:P
Spelt used in place of spelled
the same for learnt
the dropping of the "N" in Government.
The complete mispronunciation of AnTarCtica.

There's a lot of them actually.
I don't think it's its so much the evolution of language but more so the "dumbing" down of acceptable standards.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How about "decimate". It has come to mean total destruction. It does not mean that.

The worst, which someone else pointed out, is "literally". Key and Peele did a sketch about that. A basketball player tells his fans that they can literally fly if they try hard enough, and then has to have a news conference where he admits he didn't know what literally meant.

- Dan G

DanG

How about "decimate". It has come to mean total destruction. It does not mean that.

The worst, which someone else pointed out, is "literally". Key and Peele did a sketch about that. A basketball player tells his fans that they can literally fly if they try hard enough, and then has to have a news conference where he admits he didn't know what literally meant.

I had to find that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlD9JYP8u5E:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DanG

Yep, another good one. . .

:D:D But literally is easier to say than figuratively. :)

Ginormous. Combine two synonyms to create a new word. Why not "Engantic"?

"Butt Naked". Really? It's "Buck Naked" and has been for a long time. But for some reason, ignorant people changed it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butt%20naked
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JohnMitchell

***How about "decimate". It has come to mean total destruction. It does not mean that.

Yep, another good one. . .

:D:D But literally is easier to say than figuratively. :)
But, Michael Jordan could "literally" fly. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.