ramblinwreck

Skydiving Saved My Life

Great story and very well written :)

I am also a recovering alcoholic. I just celebrated 20 years clean and sober a couple weeks ago and one thing that my time has shown me is that quite simply, my life sober is FAR more rewarding than it ever was when I drank.

Skydiving is definitely one of the things that has elevated my life to the "beyond my wildest dreams" category.

Incidentally, nobody ever batted an eye that I don't get involved in all the beer crap. I crossed the beer line once at CK and I bought root beer. Nobody complained ;)

Keep coming back :)
__

My mighty steed

ramblinwreck

Hey Sky Family!

Go check out my article at https://www.theodysseyonline.com/skydiving-saved-my-life.

Blue Skies!

And yet, I still didn’t believe it was my fault. They were punishing me, they were the ones who wronged me. ‘I’ll show them’ became just another excuse to abuse myself and drink more to forget what I had done. I was angry at the drop zone owner, angry at the staff, angry at the sport parachute club. My resentments were building, and fueling a dangerous fire inside.

This part really resonated with me... I have had a lot of "second-hand" experience dealing with addiction, and the one things that seems to be a common thread is that these people seem incapable of taking any responsibility for what is "happening" to them. Like everything is always everyone else's fault. It's one excuse after another. And it's so disheartening that they hardly ever comes to the conclusion that they are at fault. If/when they *do* reach this stage, it often is the result (or cause) of a massive breakdown... Their delusions become so out-of-sync with reality that they are FORCED to face the music. It's pretty hard to watch. It's pretty hard to support someone before they reach that point, and harder still to see them through to the other side. It's devastating not being able to do much, because ultimately, they are the ones who have to do all of the hard work of repairing their broken selves (ie: you cannot do it for them)...

Kudos to you for having the courage to own your mistakes. Bravo for acknowledging them. Congrats for going one step further and sharing this with others. :)
Best of luck and keep it up :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss