Nataly

Tattoo regrets...

I remember very clearly when I told my parents I was going to get a tattoo... I was 16. Now, when I look at 16 year olds, I realise how *young* I was. My mom was horrified that her baby was going to “mutilate” herself. My dad told me: “imagine that years down the line, you meet The Man Of Your Dreams... What if he doesn’t like tattoos?? I want you to think carefully about that.” Even at 16, I found his remark offensive... Surely, The Man Of My Dreams will love me in spite of - and perhaps even even more because of - my body art. And surely I should not base my life choices on whether or not some (hypothetical) *man* would approve or not - but on whether it was something that *I* as an individual wanted.

It’s now nearly 20 years later. I am getting the tattoo removed. By the same token, I am also getting a second tattoo removed - one I got in November 2015... The latest one is a ring that I got etched into my skin as a permanent symbol of my undying love for my now-ex-boyfriend. We both got that one done. Twice.

And with each treatment (I have now had 3), I hear the snicker of ignorant people, telling me they will use me as an example to their kids about poor life choices. And I find these remarks very, VERY annoying. Because they do not get it AT ALL. I have never once regretted either tattoo.

I will say that again: I have NEVER, ever, EVER regretted either of my tats.

It is with great sorrow that I am watching them slowly fade away. It was a harder decision to part with them than to have them done in the first place. It fills me with tremendous sadness that I will not see them anymore when I look in the mirror - for they are as much of part of me as my ears, or my nose, or my lips, or my crooked teeth. They are *me.* They tell a story.

So why have them removed? Well, believe it or not, I am removing the scorpion to make room for a different tattoo... And whilst I am at it, I am getting the ring removed. The latter is purely an economic decision - it costs me nothing extra, so I might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone. But otherwise, I garantee you that I would have kept that ring and loved it every bit as much in 20, 30, 40 or 50 years (if I make it to that age!!).

Couldn’t they just do a tattoo over the old tattoo, you ask? Well, no. I want something very specific... It will be dainty and delicate - not a big cover-up. I could have worked around the old one. But the style of the new one is very different. So I tell myself that in my heart, my little Skorpie will always be there. I will carry it with me as long as I live. Ditto with the ring. They are both etched into my soul.

So before you tell your kids: “you see - one day you will undergo painful and expensive laser treatments and regret that you got ink done,” be honest and tell the truth... Not everyone regrets their life choices. Some of us are proud of our body art. Some of us find beauty in our mistakes. Some of us are willing to make huge sacrifices to get even *better* designs...

The message you should be telling your kids is to love themselves. Warts and all. And that some of their mistakes will be the best things that could ever happen to them.

I am sad to see my tattoos go. Because I love them. I loved them before I got them done, during the many years that they were on my body, and I will continue to love them long after they will be gone. You don’t just stop loving because you don’t see something (or someone) anymore.

By all means, tell your children about the realities and consequences of getting ink done. But don’t kid yourselves - not everyone regrets their tattoos. In fact, the vast majority of us really, really, REALLY love them.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Um, if you love the ring so much, why have it removed. "Because it is free," makes no sense. A kick in the pants is free, but you don't see people lining up to get kicked in the pants.

It's okay to regret a stupid decision. It means you've learned and grown. Denying you regret a stupid decision isn't bravery. It's just lying to yourself.

- Dan G

DanG

Um, if you love the ring so much, why have it removed. "Because it is free," makes no sense. A kick in the pants is free, but you don't see people lining up to get kicked in the pants.

It's okay to regret a stupid decision. It means you've learned and grown. Denying you regret a stupid decision isn't bravery. It's just lying to yourself.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Ive got a lot of tattoos, some of the are awesome, some of them are pretty crappy, bad quality. I love them all. The ones that arent that great i got while travelling and they all tell a story.

Ive always been very concious of where on my body i get tattoed. If im wearing a t shirt and pants you would never know im covered in tattoos. I wish more people would put some thought into where they choose to place their art. I hate hand and neck tattoos but each to thier own i guess.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Erroll

***Um, if you love the ring so much, why have it removed. "Because it is free," makes no sense. A kick in the pants is free, but you don't see people lining up to get kicked in the pants.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Thats what I thought too!

Nataly

And with each treatment (I have now had 3), I hear the snicker of ignorant people, telling me they will use me as an example to their kids about poor life choices. And I find these remarks very, VERY annoying. Because they do not get it AT ALL. I have never once regretted either tattoo.

Snicker.

I'd still snicker if you painted your living room purple, and within a year later painted it off-white again. Doesn't affect my life or offend me so it's no big deal.

When one reads about the chemical ingredients in tattoo inks, azo dyes, metallic salts, and how they are slowly actively moved into the lymphatic system, ugh. Even if it isn't like people with tattoos drop dead suddenly. But hey, as they say, making sausages isn't pretty either. (And I'll occasionally eat some murdered enslaved animals.)

Human canvas, human etch-a-sketch. Whatever works for you.

BillyVance

I'll never have to worry about tattoo regrets, because I've never gotten one and never plan to. :P

I agree but at the same time have learnt that the presence or absence of a tattoo. Like the style of a persons haircut. Means nothing with regards to the substance or integrity of an individual.

pchapman

Snicker.

I'd still snicker if you painted your living room purple, and within a year later painted it off-white again. Doesn't affect my life or offend me so it's no big deal.

When one reads about the chemical ingredients in tattoo inks, azo dyes, metallic salts, and how they are slowly actively moved into the lymphatic system, ugh. Even if it isn't like people with tattoos drop dead suddenly. But hey, as they say, making sausages isn't pretty either. (And I'll occasionally eat some murdered enslaved animals.)

And google for: MRI tattoo
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Snicker.

And google for: MRI tattoo

If you got your tattoos in prison this is a concern. :P I have several tats (none in prison) and have had an MRI with no issue.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

DanG

You are welcome to think what you want, but it seems to me you are simply part of the people who do not get it.

And that's fine :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

N@

Been there. I understand why you emphasize that you don't regret your tattoos. I also do not regret mine (although I regret not speaking up more about the design of one of them), and yet I'm having mine removed as well. I've had a few more years to formulate my response, though. A few more years of people saying those same things to me: "oh, so you regret getting your tattoos, huh?" So I get why you'd go on the defensive.

My response for why I'm removing them is not because I regret them, but because at this point in my life I don't want them. I wanted them when I got them 25+ years ago, and enjoyed them for a couple of decades. Now, I'd prefer to look different. No big deal, no regret -- just a different time in my life.

And of course, I'm entertaining ideas for others. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I've never met anyone who regretted not getting a tattoo. However, I've met many who regretted their decision to get the ones they have.

However, everyone is free to do as they please (but please don't complain when it causes problems/embarrassment in the future).
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

TriGirl

N@

Been there. I understand why you emphasize that you don't regret your tattoos. I also do not regret mine (although I regret not speaking up more about the design of one of them), and yet I'm having mine removed as well. I've had a few more years to formulate my response, though. A few more years of people saying those same things to me: "oh, so you regret getting your tattoos, huh?" So I get why you'd go on the defensive.

My response for why I'm removing them is not because I regret them, but because at this point in my life I don't want them. I wanted them when I got them 25+ years ago, and enjoyed them for a couple of decades. Now, I'd prefer to look different. No big deal, no regret -- just a different time in my life.

And of course, I'm entertaining ideas for others. :)

Mmm... Well, I decided 5 years ago I would be doing it but only recently found it in my heart to "say my goodbyes," if you will. I should not give a shit when people judge and misunderstand, and yet it irks me nonetheless. [:/] It irks me the same way it irks me every time someone decides to give me flack for not having any children... And for this, too, I should not give a shit. :S

And yet, somehow I do...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

It irks me the same way it irks me every time someone decides to give me flack for not having any children...

Misery loves company.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You are welcome to think what you want, but it seems to me you are simply part of the people who do not get it.

I don't get it because the way you described it doesn't make any sense.

I don't really care why you're getting your tattoos removed. You're the one who posted all high and mighty about how all the ignorant people of the world can't understand your hyper-enlightened worldview. But your explanation wasn't logical. Maybe I'm just not advanced enough to understand.

Yes, people are going to assume that you regret getting a tattoo memorializing your whirlwind romance with a violent stalker. Most people would regret that, and they probably should. If you don't regret it, super. But don't get defensive when people assume you regret something that's highly regrettable.

- Dan G

RMK

I've never met anyone who regretted not getting a tattoo. However, I've met many who regretted their decision to get the ones they have.

However, everyone is free to do as they please (but please don't complain when it causes problems/embarrassment in the future).

Maybe they were lying to me when they said it, but I have heard countless people tell me they have always wanted a tattoo and were too chicken to get one. Not sure if that qualifies as "regret" but perhaps it is something like it?? For sure it's not quite the same thing... Because those who *wish* they had the "balls" to get a tattoo, technically can just go and get one... And those who already have one cannot just wash it off...

As far as "not complaining," if you believe that we are responsible for our choices and have to deal with the consequences, then by rights pretty much nobody has any reason to complain about anything, if you think about it!!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

DanG

I don't get it because the way you described it doesn't make any sense.

I don't really care why you're getting your tattoos removed. You're the one who posted all high and mighty about how all the ignorant people of the world can't understand your hyper-enlightened worldview. But your explanation wasn't logical. Maybe I'm just not advanced enough to understand.

Yes, people are going to assume that you regret getting a tattoo memorializing your whirlwind romance with a violent stalker. Most people would regret that, and they probably should. If you don't regret it, super. But don't get defensive when people assume you regret something that's highly regrettable.

Yep. You definitely just don't get it! :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

DanG

Yep. You definitely just don't get it!

I guess not.

Just chill out, have a beer, and continue to think I am a twat...

And I will continue to ignore your insults :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

DanG

A kick in the pants is free, but you don't see people lining up to get kicked in the pants.

Two things:

1) Sometimes they're not free
2) Sometimes people will line up for them

I'll remind you of a poster who hasn't been on here in a few years, banesanura who was a professional dominatrix. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3242747

Man, I miss reading her posts in a twisted kind of way.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***A kick in the pants is free, but you don't see people lining up to get kicked in the pants.

Two things:

1) Sometimes they're not free
2) Sometimes people will line up for them

I'll remind you of a poster who hasn't been on here in a few years, banesanura who was a professional dominatrix. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3242747

Man, I miss reading her posts in a twisted kind of way.

You just reminded me of this:

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life."
-- Emo Philips

:D