degeneration

Anyone own a Hotpoint stainless steel fridge/freezer?

Anyone out there have a Hotpoint stainless steel fridge/freezer? Has to specifically be Hotpoint, as my research has indicated different build methods with different brands means some SS fridge/freezers are magnetic and others aren't.

Need to know whether fridge magnets stick to them or not.

I'm not sold by the answer customer service gave me due to their not even related nonsensical answer in the first instance, so would rather put faith in first hand accounts.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Lots of different grades of stainless steel (50 I think) some are slightly magnetic, other process can make it more so...wielding etc
Had issue with a ebay sellers 'stainless steel ' bumper for my pickup truck which was VERY magnetic , got local scrap yard to gun it with handheld x-ray machine showing it was a cheap chrome iron.
Your fridge magnets should not stick on stainless.

akarunway

A magnet will not stick to SS. If there is carbon behind it maybe. Depends on thicknesses.

Every stainless knife in my kitchen sticks to a neodymium magnet, as well as this: https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831099-Multitool-Nylon-Sheath/dp/B001U3YCH8
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

splat123

Lots of different grades of stainless steel (50 I think) some are slightly magnetic, other process can make it more so...wielding etc
Had issue with a ebay sellers 'stainless steel ' bumper for my pickup truck which was VERY magnetic , got local scrap yard to gun it with handheld x-ray machine showing it was a cheap chrome iron.
Your fridge magnets should not stick on stainless.

Trust me. SS w/o an alloy metal is not magnetic. I work w/ it powerhouses all the time. Wanna talk 2 and a quarter or 4 and a half or 9 crome piping give me a shout. Brass, titanium, copper, aluminum, and other metals are not magnetic. Google non ferous metals.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's more complicated than that. Stainless steel is a ferrous metal but many types are non-magnetic, others are magnetic. All are alloys by definition. See the link I posted earlier.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Where is the popcorn icon?

Frankly, whether or not magnets will attach or not should be the least of your concerns when buying a very expensive appliance.

But that said, I don't like magnets on the fridge, and haven't had them for over 15 years.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

degeneration

Anyone out there have a Hotpoint stainless steel fridge/freezer? Has to specifically be Hotpoint, as my research has indicated different build methods with different brands means some SS fridge/freezers are magnetic and others aren't.

Need to know whether fridge magnets stick to them or not.

I'm not sold by the answer customer service gave me due to their not even related nonsensical answer in the first instance, so would rather put faith in first hand accounts.

I don't own one, but I'm staying with a friend in the UK at the moment and she's got a stainless hotpoint fridge. Photo of a couple of fridge magnets :)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well, thanks for all the answers!!

I had done my research on SS and magnets and the like, and all it pointed to was that SOME brands' SS fridge/freezers were magnetic enough for fridge magnets to stick, and others were not.

So the only way to find out for sure with the one I was wanting to buy was try it and see. Unfortunately all major appliance show rooms in my area did not have a Hotpoint one to try out. Fridge magnets stuck to Beko and Samsung SS ones.

And oldwomanc6 - the fridge magnet issue was actually a major concern, the reasons being: 1) I like them - have one as a souvenir from every new place (generally country, occasionally city) I go; 2) I like to put my toddler daughter's "art" on there; and 3) my short list of new fridge freezer had about half a dozen or so on there that were pretty much as good as each other for my purposes, the difference seemingly being the finish. I liked the SS finish best, but would have been happy with the other ones too, so as I knew fridge magnets would stick to the other finishes, this became the deciding factor on whether I'd get the SS one or not!

And Nigel99 - thanks for the confirmation!!! Damn good luck/chance that!!!

And I've now ordered the SS Hotpoint FF that I was looking at.
:)
I will now leave everyone to debate the different types of SS and their magneticities!!
And I'm guessing that magnets stick to SS fridge freezers, as the SS part will just be the visible aesthetic part, the inner parts will probably still be fairly standard and consist of other magnetic materials.

Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

magneticities

Sometimes when you need a word you have to make one. Your post was worth reading just for this alone. Made my morning, thanks! And yes, fridge magnets are an important part of the art gallery in my kitchen as well.

Edit, my God!! I Googled it, and it's a real word. I even learned something, thanks again!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Working in a powerhouse, you are probably used to working with 3 series SS.....304,316,316L and so on.

They do make a 4 series pipe, that a magnet WILL stick to and very strongly! I found this out by accident. We were building a SS tank that needed 4" pipe for legs. So I go to our lay-down yard grab some 4" SS pipe out of the rack. When we were putting the legs on the tank I went to put a level on one of the legs thinking I would have to hold it in place...and when it got close it got snatched out my hand. This pipe had been outside in the weather for months and wasn't rusted at all, so it was SS.

I asked our safety guy/weld inspector about it, and he explained the different series of SS.

jumpwally

There is nothing worse than shit stuck all over the fridge,,,lame and tacky...:S

Well fortunately I don't use my daughter's fecal matter for her "art".

I like the cleaner look of a bare fridge freezer, but I also like the souvenirs and memories. A magnetic one lets me choose either.

gowlerk

magneticities

Sometimes when you need a word you have to make one. Your post was worth reading just for this alone. Made my morning, thanks! And yes, fridge magnets are an important part of the art gallery in my kitchen as well.

Edit, my God!! I Googled it, and it's a real word. I even learned something, thanks again!

I had no idea if it was a word or not! It just seemed the most logical word for the context!

normiss

We have a Samsung.
Magnets will not stick on the face of the doors, but will on the side panels.

We have an LG in our new fifth wheel, magnets stick to the face of that one.

For what it's worth the side of my mates hotpoint fridge was covered in magnets. I stuck two on the front door for the photo so that I could get the logo in the picture and also so that I didn't inadvertently post a picture containing private information of hers... Guess that was a lucky test:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yes, it was. Magnets stick to the sides only of my SS Kenmore fridge. And I really don't understand the SS thing; it shows streaks so much worse than any other color except black, which I also wouldn't have. If nothing else, dark appliances darken the kitchen.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well the one I wanted I ordered monday night, and it was delivered this morning. And magnets stick to it front and sides! So I'm happy.

It's located in the utility room, so no risk of it darkening the kitchen.

Will see how it holds up to marks... if it starts showing them more thna we'd like, we'll just selectively position the fridge magnets!!

There is nothing worse than shit stuck all over the fridge,,,lame and tacky...

He's putting his daughter's works of art up there, he gets a free pass. That's the best kind of art there is!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

There is nothing worse than shit stuck all over the fridge,,,lame and tacky...

He's putting his daughter's works of art up there, he gets a free pass. That's the best kind of art there is!

SS appliances. Tacky copies of commercial equipment. A fad that is almost as bad as avacodo or harvest gold.

gowlerk

SS appliances. Tacky copies of commercial equipment. A fad that is almost as bad as avacodo or harvest gold.

I agree, but unless you are going with the few makers (all expensive) that provide an array of colors, you are pretty much left with black, white, or stainless these days; white and black were not available in all of the appliances I wanted, so I was left with stainless.