ryoder

Teen girl lands plane on golf course

The two-seat, single-engine, high-wing airplane was manufactured in 1971 and was equipped with a Lycoming O-200 series engine. The most recent annual inspection was completed on July 5, 2015, at 3,488 total airframe hours.

I don't think Lycoming made an O-200 engine.

ryoder

Photos of the engine teardown are in my link in post #18.

Speaking of 18 - when does she turn 18?:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Phil1111

******Photos of the engine teardown are in my link in post #18.

Speaking of 18 - when does she turn 18?:)

perv

Indeed!
I saw it first, so I have dibs on her.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Busted valve! Dang, I thought they'd run a little longer on 3 cylinders, but I guess the chunks were big enough >to stop the engine

Chunks aside, you take away 25% of the available power and it's time to start looking for an alternate. Especially at 400 ft.

Again, kudos to the girl! She'll grow up to be a REAL pilot.

JohnMitchell

Busted valve! Dang, I thought they'd run a little longer on 3 cylinders, but I guess the chunks were big enough to stop the engine.

Because it was an intake valve and the piston was still making compression, every stroke disrupted the airflow of the intake.

I had a Ford Fiesta years ago that dropped part of an exhaust valve and I drove it for several months before pulling the head and repairing it. We also pulled the pistons with the motor still in the car, honed the cylinder, put in rings and rod bearings and I put another 120k on the car.