ryoder

Dubai skyscraper fire

This popped up on FB. Apparently, if you try to search for this, you have to be "date specific".

They seem to have a lot of fires in the skyscrapers there.

Lax safety codes and slave labor. Not a good combo.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes, I learned about this over at bikeforums, where some turkey posted a 3.5 year old video with the story. Lots of new Youtube comments under that old video.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Robert,

Re: Dubai skyscraper fire

And my daughter and her family had to jump from the 2nd floor to get away from this one: http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/12/investigators_looking_for_caus.html

I figure that my 10 yr old grandson will be the only one in his school who had to jump to save his life from a building fire while on Christmas break. He'll have quite story to tell his pals.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) They lost about $1500 in clothes, electronic goodies, jewelery, etc.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

Re: Dubai skyscraper fire

And my daughter and her family had to jump from the 2nd floor to get away from this one: http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/12/investigators_looking_for_caus.html

I figure that my 10 yr old grandson will be the only one in his school who had to jump to save his life from a building fire while on Christmas break. He'll have quite story to tell his pals.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) They lost about $1500 in clothes, electronic goodies, jewelery, etc.

I presume then that everyone is okay? :o So sorry to hear about that experience, but yeah, the 10-yr-old will be a hero at school this week! :P
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

From the comments:

Dubai is seriously exactly what would have happened if someone had given 13 year old me and my friends unlimited money and a big patch of empty land.

“Let drive Ferraris everywhere and make super tall buildings and make our own islands and air conditioned beaches and give firefighters jetpacks!”

As I said above, slave labor and lax building codes. Recipe for disaster. How long it will it take for a real one to happen?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

***:(

Oh, and Fuck Dubai!

I do hope innocent individuals aren't harmed in the fire, but as a whole, yeah, fuck Dubai.

Just out of curiosity, why the hate on Dubai? I mean, there's a bunch of youtube vids out there of happy skydivers going to Dubai to jump out of buildings, planes, etc. Dubai seems like the mecha of skydiving, base jumping, and debauchery, no?

GooniesKid

******:(

Oh, and Fuck Dubai!

I do hope innocent individuals aren't harmed in the fire, but as a whole, yeah, fuck Dubai.

Just out of curiosity, why the hate on Dubai? I mean, there's a bunch of youtube vids out there of happy skydivers going to Dubai to jump out of buildings, planes, etc. Dubai seems like the mecha of skydiving, base jumping, and debauchery, no?

+1 for fuck Dubai

Yeah, it is everything terrible and disturbing about mass consumption with conspicuous wealth the US is so famed for but many times worse, built on virtual slave labor with nothing but oil money by a complete monarchy with deplorable human rights policies to include women, foreigners, and anyone who wants to say something not nice about the government. They feed off the West's materialism to build nothing but a ultra fancy resort for the extremely wealthy and have nothing to contribute to society or humanity.

What happens when you give a 16 year old playboy with no conscience, a fundamental religious doctrine, and an obsession with expensive luxury items an unlimited bank account and total legal authority...? Dubai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Dubai

Every country has these problems, including the US, but Dubai bathes in them.

(generally speaking, youtube videos are a terrible way to understand a culture or society, particularly when they are basically just marketing promotions)

GooniesKid

******:(

Oh, and Fuck Dubai!

Sure, if the only thing you judge is the quality of the DZ and other tourist facilities then yeah, yay Dubai!

If you judge it by a dictatorship that presides over an oppressive religious legal system and a ruling family that has grown obscenely wealthy through the outrageous exploitation of a virtually sub-human class of labourers then yeah, fuck Dubai!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Aside from all the Sharia Law craziness for residents the treatment for visitors is also appalling; get raped, caught with trace amounts of any drug, or step outside the designated foreigner areas and you are also subject to those laws.

Be warned...

Some tidbits from the Wiki article (which have citations) include female tourists who report being raped being jailed for consuming alcohol and having pre-marital sex, to include one woman who had sex with her fiance (not the rapist), as well as one woman being jailed for cocaine possession because her blood tested positive due to receiving a codeine injection for back pain, and a man imprisoned because approximately 0.003 grams "smaller than a grain of sugar" of marijuana was found stuck to the bottom of his shoe in the airport.

But that BASE zip-line and the RocketMen are pretty sweet... :S

Anachronist

jailed for consuming alcohol and having pre-marital sex, to include one woman who had sex with her fiance (not the rapist), as well as one woman being jailed for cocaine possession because her blood tested positive due to receiving a codeine injection for back pain, and a man imprisoned because approximately 0.003 grams "smaller than a grain of sugar" of marijuana was found stuck to the bottom of his shoe in the airport.

"distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful" ~ Nietzsche

Words to live by. :|

BillyVance

***............and they have no respect for women,,,Double fuck Dubai !!

Triple dog GOAT fuck Dubai!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun