jumpervali

What do you think?

Long story but not unheard of. 11 years ago I owned a center in Rome ga. I am now requesting reinstatment at the next board meeting. Here is my request.....

Any critiques.
Mr Albert
This is Sandor Vali....D19338. I wish to be put on the docket for the next meeting in hopes to repeal the suspension of my instructional rating taken in 2005. I used to own and operate Georgia Skydiving Center in Rome Georgia. I feel it was improperly revoked on rumor and personality clashes with regard to mr Shackner. I'm sure skyride and other influences had a hand in the matter too. As a man who feels that a penance of 11 years is enough I request to be heard or atleast considered for reinstatement. Teaching and instructing was my love and life. Needless to say I never lost anyone on my watch. I was reinstated as a member but chose not to renew until I was reconsidered for full reinstatment. I think and state 11 years is enough. This is my first request and I hope all past politics has pasted. As a reminder I was voted as "unworthy" and put out of business in a state that was ruled by skyride in Georgia at the time. I'm sure had I had legal representation things would have gone much differently. With all that aside and done in the past I humbly request that I be herd for reinstatement of my ability to teach again. My hopes are to simply be able to purchase and maintain a club membership so as to have Rome revisited boogies or a basic club there. Thank you for your consideration and hope to hear back soon. I'm willing to show up in person if this request merits.

Sandor Vali D19338

So, your ratings were stripped, but were you not allowed to re-take the courses to re-earn them?

Seems like if you can do that, it'd be easier and a lot has changed in 11 years, so it wouldn't hurt to get up to date.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Seems I've had a positive and quick response from our regional director and I may be on the docket for the July meeting. Yes after a year I got my personal membership reinstated but not my instructional rating which in a way made me kinda lose my love of the sport as I knew it.

its a long story filled with personal greavence of past employees, vendetta and financial opportunity. But like in the simple statement I made I was never posed with the details of truly who or what was said in reference to my case. In other words I was never able to face my accuser.
In February of 2005 I was supposed to have been sent a regestistered letter from my then RD. I was then living at my drop zone at the time so I never got it because I was living at the DZ not my home.

I got wind of the infraction in late June 4 months after the letter had been sent. I called my RD as soon as I got the news. It was a Friday afternoon and the response I got was very odd. I think he was intoxicated because he said why are you calling me on the weekend and I replied ummm it's Friday. Bad foot to start on. He agreed to send me a copy of the letter which was then 4 months old via email. I couldn't believe the aligation. 1 doing aff without a certified instructor. 2 doing night tandems. 3 doing rigging without the proper license. Which all were untrue, yet did have a sliver of truth. The aff part was totally false period. I'd been reprimanded the year before and suffered a 2 week penalty for that, so for sure I'd learnt my lesson. Doing night tandems never. Though i did offer and take a b lisenced young lady on a night jump who happened to be a girl one of my ex instructors was trying to date at the time. The rigging part i feel stemmed from me giving the rigging concession to a new rigger and making my old one who had moved to a new club jealous. Oh and I did upgrade my own personal rig from a rol to a boc so yes I did do that.

As you see I do have a reply to all the statements but I may still be way off the mark because I was never provided with who or what was exactly said. I do believe in a free and democratic society you are supposed to be provided with that....... Or I'm misstaken

I had a heated and unplesent conversation conversation after I read the letter with the RD. I know I was over aggressive but at the moment it seemed a firestorm of bullsh!t. Needless to say what would have been a 6 month suspension from the time the letter was returned in February. Richard opted to propose to the board that I have my membership and instructional ratings revoked for life. I was not present for the meeting due to the short time frame and personal commitments, so I wasn't aware of his change.

The entire board voted yes. I'm sure I was painted to be satin in carnet. Anyway as soon as the board ruled Richard made a point to personally call the airport manager and inform him of their ruling effectively causing my business to be ruled closed by them. No FAA infraction had ever been filed on my club and no law had ever been broke but they used that to shut me down. I think Richard found personal joy in that. I submitted a request for an emergency quarem to be called to review the vote. It was denighed until spring. I'd just bought a 207 and had rent on the lot where the dz sat and I couldn't support the payments past January so I closed up. I don't think that the board members who owned drop zones themselves should have been allowed to vote anyway knowing it would close my business either. Just hind site, but still. Lots of odd reactions and remember asc was only 20 miles away and it was a mess too over their membership that year. I'm sure they were tired of Georgia period.

I folded the business which was incorporated and took my whooped ass home. In the time between closing and the February meeting which was in Arizona I had a customer who bought a jump certificate contact me and even the uspa wanting her money back take me to court. The judge ruled without prejudice on my behalf. In a call to Richard prior the meeting he said you better take your trip money and pay the lady back with no regard to the ruling. I blew up on him and asked him who the fu(k did he think he was trying to rule over a judge. Again bad idea.... I opted to not go to the meeting and fell into several months of depression. A skydiver without the sky is in a way lost. I'd failed myself and even worse my skydiving family. It was dark times and almost killed me literally. I went before the board that summer here on the east coast and they did grant me my personal membership but not my ratings
And I was told to again pay the old refund and they'd reconsider my ratings. How can they force a person to give money a judge ruled wasn't due? Isn't that called extortion? Again way out of line with the laws of the land.

Ok with all that said its all in the past. Live and learn, get along to get along and let's move forward. I think more people should attend the board meetings and see just how much good the guys do for us. They do work hard.

theonlyski

So, your ratings were stripped, but were you not allowed to re-take the courses to re-earn them?

Seems like if you can do that, it'd be easier and a lot has changed in 11

years, so it wouldn't hurt to get up to date.

Im aware of the new category system and the pull altitudes and no turn policy. Their all good for safety and a chance for a young jumper to get past the dangerous period. But hear me out. I passed the old aff system that was done by only 3 men in the nation and it was drilled into our heads that in as little as 7 jumps....maybe they were free to jm their self. That's a huge responsibility! It's like teaching kids to safely run into traffic. At a small dz like mine those eager young jumpers weren't just jumpers but like my kids. Remember your taking someone from the known to the unknown. You tell, show, and touch so as to reach all points of learning. Start and end with the main point. Human learning hasn't changed too much in 10 years. Only thing is people have tried to dumb it down to the point where time.... Yes time isn't spent 1 on 1 per person. People ain't cookie cutters and they all learn differently. There's lots of good reading in a bic and instructional manual if applied internally, but honestly it ain't worth a hill of beans if you don't see the light come on and know their ready to go no matter the time frame.

Well good followers the wheels are moving forward. I've been placed on the docket and am allowed 10 minutes to state my case. For a skydiver that's plenty of time to get things done. I've been requested to submit any pertinate information to the board prior to the meeting so I requested transcripts of the aligations and from who they were made by. Time to finally see the truth. I'll keep you updated of the proceedings if your interested. Any replies?

It's coming time to go stand tall before the man. Silly as it may sound I'm nervouse. Public speaking isn't a problem but it's befor my heroes and mentors. Faces and names who are titanans of our sport. Dang it's intamidating! Take it I aint a kid but still. Faces and names judinging you in person that you only read about in books or you met as a young jumper 20 years ago. Collis Griffin was my mentor as was Don Yarling, Pip, John h, and Earl Redfern base jumper extraidenare.
Still I'm excited yet scared. Man hope it all goes forward.

Put in your buds and listen to this. Funny how only 2 people can do such a peace of art [url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_5HZt5NzA

Thank you for the clicky. Folks things were tough back in the day. There were more people certified to land on a flight deck than do aff. It was really hard! Don was a hard ass and Rick was cool and groovy but tuff and billy Rhodes was, well mean as hell! Still all with a requirement weed out the weaklings. It made me see the light when I saw don pick up a student during aff camp. I saw him turn on the charm and actually smile as he himself worked with a student. It was like seeing the other side of your dad. I remember seeing a young mop of blond hair crying under a plam tree at Subation, because Missy Nelson had messed up on a jump. I bought ice cream that night cuz no one can cry and eat ice cream at the same time. Trust me getting the ratings are a huge thing! I personally carried the ashes of Collis my mentor in my suit pocket. Teeth of the hydra. Still very stressful. My friend from a past camp Wilmer Vega flew from Porta Rico to do the camp too. It was my last jump 1 point due and I pass. Wilmer missed his slot and on the bottom end was at the feet of the evaluator. I saw the mess and did a Side slide from the main to the front then the reserve in a sweet close orbit. It all ended good at 6 and below. On the debreaf my evaluator said good side slide and you took care of your partner. I had Don sign aff-I In my little blue book where Collis had signed good prcp cleared to freefall 5 sec.

Now in the real world. Fresh out of the box with my rating in my hot little hand 1st jump MJ had called in Teresa a vet aff to do a level 1 with me. Now remember in Rome aff was new. I was reserve side. The simple side the ancher side so she thought. Damn if at 6k he didn't drop his knees shake her and leave me spinning into a standup with him. I dug into his hip and gave him foster legs and ripped his sh!t. i only had to do that 3 more times over the next 6 years. Thank god I was ready! Still you know always have fun and never let them see you sweat. Remember there's always a positive after any jump. In a debrief a student will be harder on their self than anyone. Just let them talk and talk back. We are adults but still learning.

Just rambling on sorry guys.

jumpervali

Today is a good day! I've been granted the ability to regain my ratings by the board. Though it will require refresher courses I now have the right to obtain them. It's a huge day for me! Today I'm a winner and that means I get sprinkles!

Outstanding. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks billy

I don't know if you recall but we met at a jerry Byrd boogie in Rome somewhere around 96 or 97. I know you did a great job on the big ways there. Your slot was always solid. I'll see if I can boot up my old pc and get some of the pics from it. May take a few days but lots of us old farts looking good. I know many of the people in them are now passed away but still solid skydivers! Good times and good memories.

jumpervali

Thanks billy

I don't know if you recall but we met at a jerry Byrd boogie in Rome somewhere around 96 or 97. I know you did a great job on the big ways there. Your slot was always solid. I'll see if I can boot up my old pc and get some of the pics from it. May take a few days but lots of us old farts looking good. I know many of the people in them are now passed away but still solid skydivers! Good times and good memories.

My memory must be slipping because I can't quite remember that one, but I did do a few big way events at Monroe during that particular time. Especially the one organized by Roger Ponce, had some outstanding 4 and 5 point 30+ ways there. Would love to see the pics... I have pics from that event somewhere.

And thanks for the compliments. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I remember meeting you in Rome and at some point during the weekend thinking to myself. It must have been a challenge and reward to the instructor who'd taught you. It made me think of the methods he'd used to work around your condition and your want to learn. Good job on the part of both of you. Rock on with your bad self buddy!

Congrats!! But just so you know. To REALLY be considered a great jumper you have to jump in Alaska!!!
Believe me in this,no need to ask around well other then John Mitchell he would know. :P:P:P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

jumpervali

I remember meeting you in Rome and at some point during the weekend thinking to myself. It must have been a challenge and reward to the instructor who'd taught you. It made me think of the methods he'd used to work around your condition and your want to learn. Good job on the part of both of you. Rock on with your bad self buddy!

It wasn't all that bad. Yeah I was motivated to learn. Some lip-reading skills and at the time with hearing aids I could hear enough to get things. Before my first jump, he started to put a radio on my chest strap and I just looked at him funny. He was like oops. :D Then he used a pair of bright orange painted paddles to guide me down for the first 3 or 4 jumps and then I didn't need them anymore.

I haven't jumped for 3 years, and I didn't jump for the previous 2.5 years before that one weekend. Busy with job, 2 kids and life. Just priorities... Skydiving's on the back burner for now.

Now, looking back on my memories at Rome, there's one that really stands out... This was when the Griffins ran the DZ out of that old building in the trees and Bruffey flew his King Air (nicest King Air I've ridden in other than Mike Mullin's)... I was on a load when winds were borderline, but doable (about 15 mph)... Well, right on jump run just as the pilot gave the exit signal, my buddy who was on the ground with a hand-held wind meter was going "FUCK FUCK FUCK!" Ground winds shot up to 25-30mph. So, we all jumped oblivious to what we were getting into. Spot was good. But when I got to where I wanted to be and faced the wind, I found I wasn't moving forward nor was I going backwards and I remember thinking that was odd. Then I landed with the softest tippy toe landing I ever had, right on the edge of the taxi way pavement, and then a second later found myself getting dragged through the grassy field behind me on my back and I'm going "WTF? Oh shit!", rolled over and started reeling in one brake line until I stopped moving. Almost the entire load got dragged to some degree, including one across the taxiway and got some road rash.

Fun times. :D

jumpervali

Holy cow I remember that day! Chuck had a tandem on that load and he too landed on the taxiway only to be drug backwards. That's the only time I'd ever seen his special forces ass wide eyed. Crazy!

Like I said... Fun times!

:D:D:D

Honey I don't even know if Alaska was a state when I was born. Looks like a beautiful place though. We here have high peaks, muddy catfish laden bottoms and skeeters big as jet plains but don't call it wonderful. It's life. Hot and sticky. It's hard to be fat in the south but we manage. We've got wild pigs that will bust out from under a bush and try to ruit up under ya as they pass by killing dogs in their path. Bears that never take a winter nap. Stupid ass deer that will run into your house if you walk out the house n leave the door open. Bob cats, coons, varmits, and a host of elustrious critters that wanna take comfort in your laundry room. Oh and now we got panther cats again.... Life's tuff enough here......well no whales here.... I'll worry about that later

Maybe it's because you are the only instructor that I finally graduated with or maybe because your a super nice guy...my opinion I think you deserve it and I hope all goes well...btw...it's been a very long time...its Becky...I hope your doing good Sandor

I hope all goes well
Becky

Hey Becky

Good to hear from ya! I bet the baby is a grown woman now. I'm looking forward to getting back in the air and working with students as excited about learning as you were. It will take a little time to attend the classes but well worth it to me. Thanks for your words of encouragement! Take care and see ya soon maybe.

Sandor