peek

Another hawk thread - how close?

In the midwest we have quite a few red-tailed hawks, and I see a lot of them under canopy at various dropzones. It is amazing to me how close they will let you get before taking evasive maneuvers, especially since a canopy is so much larger and would seem to be a rather large potential predator.

Last weekend I was able to do some turns to get closer to one, and though I can't be sure, it seems like I was about 50-70 feet from it before it changed its flight.

How close have any of you been able to get to a hawk?

Do you suppose that the hawks that let you get close are "experienced" with canopies and are no longer bothered by them?

I used to know an avid paraglider pilot in Boulder. He told me the story of how he and a buddy found a great thermal one day, and were spiraling in it...along with a red-tailed hawk.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

peek

In the midwest we have quite a few red-tailed hawks, and I see a lot of them under canopy at various dropzones. It is amazing to me how close they will let you get before taking evasive maneuvers, especially since a canopy is so much larger and would seem to be a rather large potential predator.

Last weekend I was able to do some turns to get closer to one, and though I can't be sure, it seems like I was about 50-70 feet from it before it changed its flight.

I got pretty close to a turkey vulture in full glide once. Probably 70-80 feet away before it veered off. It's a good thing it didn't react in self defense... I wouldn't have liked it. Rumor is they'll spew vomit at you... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've seen many hawks / turkey vultures soaring and hanging in thermals as high as 1800 feet under canopy at my home DZ in Nebraska. I've seen bald eagles twice before as well, and makes me wish I was flying a flag at the same time haha. I usually can't get that close to them before they fly away though.

Moosie

I had a hawk try to pluck me out of the sky in Davis, CA last month. I have two little talon holes in my main's top skin as a souvenir. I'd say I got pretty close.

Our dropzone in Mt Vernon WA was not that far from the Skagit River with a VERY high population of Bald Eagles. One of them liked to chase collapsed pilot chutes and once in a while would actually catch someones :D

Funny to watch not so much for the owner of the pilot chute

Skydance has (or had - it's been a while since I've been out there) hawks who've behaved pretty aggressively. Canopies (and jumpers on the ground) have been attacked with both canopies and jumpers receiving damage. I'm not aware of canopy damage so substantial that it caused the jumper to be unable to safely land, but they've definitely created some big tears.

The theory is that it's mama birds protecting their nesting babies in the stand of trees that's on the north end of the landing area. On days when the pattern is landing to the south, everyone does base leg over or near the trees which the hawk may perceive as a threat.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

peek

Do you suppose that the hawks that let you get close are "experienced" with canopies and are no longer bothered by them?

I was flying down a ridge in a hang glider and closed up behind a hawk. At about 100 feet behind him he turned his head around and looked straight down his back at me. He looked ahead and back at me a couple times but must have got nervous as i was closing in on him at about 10 mph. One last look and a quick wingover and he was gone.

So who can identify this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaFswvn-Ic

He decided to sit on the peak of my roof as I was just finishing up replacing trim around the windows. You can hear the other neighborhood birds bitching at him in the background while sitting on the houses next door.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

So who can identify this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaFswvn-Ic

He decided to sit on the peak of my roof as I was just finishing up replacing trim around the windows. You can hear the other neighborhood birds bitching at him in the background while sitting on the houses next door.

Looks like a brown eagle
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've had two hawk encounters. The first was at Finger Lakes, NY in 2001. The hawk and I were flying in the same air for a moment. My wing loading must have been heavier than his because he stayed and I descended.

Last year a hawk flew underneath me in Wisconsin. Probably wasn't the same hawk.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

My closest encounter with a hawk was with an Osprey.

I was driving with the top down alongside an Osprey which had a fish. He kept weaving back and forth in front, to the side, and over me. While he's in front of me, I'm thinking to myself "This is pretty cool, we're kind of pacing each other".

Next thing I see is a Bald Eagle swoop down and hit the Osprey! The fish goes flying in my direction and barely misses me! Fortunately, the birds fell the other way.

I was too busy dodging the fish to see what happened to the birds who both came up empty.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

At the 2014 Barefoot Boogie in Pepperell, MA a Redtail Hawk flew right into the leading edge of the Twin Otter at 2000'. Put a hole in it the size of, well, a Redtail Hawk.

It was, I believe, the same hawk that used to fly with in 50' of me around 1500' in the past.

Not sure if it was angry or horny?