HIDGAF84

Help... Please -- Windows 7 Error; Can't Boot

HIDGAF84

I don't disagree… but that wouldn't make sense before utilizing a Windows 7 disk. (And... I still have more evidence to point to simple file corruption, from flash and windows update. If those problems never happened, and all of a sudden this happened, I would be more inclined to agree.)

And if my hard drive is going out… I'm buying a new system. I'm not getting a new hard drive. At least initially. I don't have time for all that, I just need a computer that's working. And windows 10 might be nice.

http://www.newegg.com
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

Man I haven't been keeping up with this at all.

I'm suspect of a faulty HDD, I'd replace it.
If I've read enough here, it seems to have enough chkdsk issues to prove it.

I agree and given that this has been going on for 15 days now; would have had a new HDD or whole new system about 12 days ago.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You need one of those "screwdriver things" to change your hard drive out, correct?

Yeah, I don't have one of those either, at the moment...

And how is it that I'm going to install windows on a new hard drive, when I don't have a Windows disk?

I'm feeling a quote from Braveheart coming on, "don't change the subject..."

I don't have the money for either of those things… but furthermore I don't have a Windows disk for the new hard drive.

I'd like to look up at my canopy and figure out why it's spinning before I cut it away, knowing that I'm going to lose my canopy; or at least my free bag.

And you can knock about seven days off those numbers...

HIDGAF84

And how is it that I'm going to install windows on a new hard drive, when I don't have a Windows disk?

Assuming you have a link to a legal, downloadable copy of Windows, your local public librarian will more than likely be happy to download it for you.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***And how is it that I'm going to install windows on a new hard drive, when I don't have a Windows disk?

Assuming you have a link to a legal, downloadable copy of Windows, your local public librarian will more than likely be happy to download it for you.

2 day shipping from Dell; windows 10.

Well then… I guess I'll just be giving it a go; getting a blank dvd and seeing if I can make a disk from and use it on the same computer.

I can't find an answer anywhere online, and no one seems to wish to comment on that issue, and instead just saying get a new hard drive. Which is not an easy undertaking given my circumstances, and is nonsensical before you utilize the MAIN tool that every webpage and people in this forum said to do, to attempt to address this problem. Utilize the tool I don't have; a Windows 7 disk.

Again, I do not see how a problem I have had many times over the past (Firefox going non-responsive), but then [accidentally] hard booting in sleep mode, would equate to hard drive failure. If power outages and "just because" can cause the problems I've had, how could this not cause the very same problems.

Since the problems with flash and Windows update months ago, self initiating check disks on boot, that I did not know would be running, I have had no problems. No data issues, no indications of hard drive issues, and now this. Getting a new hard drive before a Windows 7 disc usage is putting the the cart before the horse. I don't see how that makes any sense. Regardless of all of the complications I would have with getting a new hard drive.

Without using a Windows 7 disc, even as a novice with in these matters, it seems completely illogical to me to not get a Windows 7 disc first.

Shrug.

And then there is system restore, and the dell back ups as well.

My time sensitive April matters, are past. There's no reason not to utilize the tools that I still have; once I have the tool.

Might find some help with this (Hiren's Boot CD):

You'll have to download the file and create the CD or bootable USB drive. Zip file download is a little over 600 MB. Extract the files and the tools & instructions are there to create the bootable media from the iso file.

www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

www.hirensbootcd.org

ccm.net/download/download-24112-hiren-s-bootcd

Lots of handy utilities. It can boot to a "skeleton" version of Windows XP with options, and you may then be able to access and copy important files from your HD to a USB drive, etc. Maybe even use some of the utils to repair the HD long enough to salvage any files you need before the drive deteriorates further. The utilities included are handy to keep around even if they can't help with this particular problem right now.

Or..if you get a new computer, you could try to set up the old HD as a secondary HD and copy what you can from there. Then toss it.

I don't think any of the statements I've made here, imply that I feel I "have it all figured out". Quite the opposite. I did not even know what SFC /scannow was… but the primary link discussed in this thread, explaining how to utilize a Windows 7 disk, says, "using another computer".

If the very first error that I started this thread with, was still present, that would be obvious. I did not have access to windows. So I'm trying to find out if now with having access to windows through a normal boot, that that is not applicable. That is, before I go out and spend money on disks, and potentially waste time and effort. I'm also out of town, and it's frustrating to know that I have a massive stack of DVDs sitting on the counter at home.

My sister is also closer than home, but I have also not been able to find out if you can make a Windows 7 disc with a Mac? She only has a tablet, but the brother-in-law has a Mac laptop. That would be my first possible solution if I cannot use my own computer.

The link above, with the provided images, is stating the Main Tool. Does it not make sense, to do everything possible to figure out how, to utilize the main tool, before throwing in the towel?

I agree… Computers are very stressful

And aside from some web design and web graphic design, I have learned more about computers in the last however many days than I've ever known.

Thank you. I'll definitely check this out.

"if"... My hard drive is deteriorating. But yes. Thankfully if the hard drive went up in flames right now, I have all my data backed up.

It would just piss me off and waste time and money.

That as well. As stated earlier. If this is not fixable, my easiest solution, most timely solution, would be getting a new system, and then later getting a new hard drive, and using this machine as a tinkering tool. With all of this nonsense, I'd like to learn a lot more, and have the ability to mess things up and not be worried about my computer.

HIDGAF84

******And how is it that I'm going to install windows on a new hard drive, when I don't have a Windows disk?

2 day shipping from Dell; windows 10.

Earlier in the thread, a link to download Windows 7 was provided. There's no need to order from Dell.

. . . Dell Operating System Installation Disc that came with your computer.

You say you have the drivers and utilities disk . . . Do you not have this ?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I only was sent a dell "drivers and utilities" disc.

Upon further research on Dell's website, they do not call it a Windows 7 disc, they call it what you wrote. And I was not sent that.

100% sure. I have all other documentation and disks that were sent with me.

Unless I am mistaken, all links within this thread, have been for Windows 7 images, (to which you "have a legal right to"), that can repair windows, but not provide a full installation.

However, I will not, under any circumstance, initually, be getting a new hard drive if this hard drive is failing.

It would be far more complicated and difficult for me to replace the hard drive, then to order a new system.

Period.

I've had mostly Dells, and IIRC, you have an option to create the "Recovery Disc". Best to do this when the computer is new. I think some other brands do it this way, too. Some other brands and some laptops have it included on a separate partition on the HD.

HIDGAF84

Unless I am mistaken, all links within this thread, have been for Windows 7 images, (to which you "have a legal right to"), that can repair windows, but not provide a full installation.

However, I will not, under any circumstance, initually, be getting a new hard drive if this hard drive is failing.

It would be far more complicated and difficult for me to replace the hard drive, then to order a new system.

Period.

Metalslug provided a link to a Windows 7 ISO download in post 12 of this thread.

At this point, it sounds like you're simply looking for an excuse to buy another computer. If that's what you want to spend your money on, you shouldn't need validation from anyone here.

Oh yes, I sure will make sure to do so in the future!

Hm, interesting. In addition to C: ... I have a solid-state drive, and was told it was for "quicker booting". Given your partition statement, any chance that this could be both for quicker booting and possible recovery aspects? Could I run SFC and pointed towards the solid-state drive?

Just an unresearched quick thought because of your statement.