HIDGAF84

Help... Please -- Windows 7 Error; Can't Boot

I have been reading everything I can find; through using my phone. I've tried a few things, but I'm stuck and worried.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 7. Purchased ~2012.

Was sitting on bed, laptop unmoved on table in normal spot. I saw the Norton 360 "background idle tasks" square on the right bottom screen as normal. Got up, touched the finger pad, the square went away, I opened firefox and it "froze." Mouse pointer still continued to work, but program said unresponsive at the top, and proceeded to have a whole slew of problems. (Clock was not changing either.) Was able to get to task manager once, clicked end task on that, another firefox that opened and a chrome. Chrome closed, then several periods of change and freezing with the mouse pointer continuing to move. Circle "hourglass" seen at different times; pointer when over taskbar for windows, but no functionality.

About 20 to 30 minutes later, after trying to get back to TaskManager screen, desktop icons were gone, just a blank screen with the background design set on desktop. I've had similar issues in the past, and for some reason unplugging the power cord and letting it go to battery power has gotten it out of the funk. Didn't work at any point.

Was about ready to hold the power button, but instead of doing so I pushed the power button once, which sent it to sleep. Not long after that I tried to turn it back on from sleep, and it shut off completely.

Now after the windows symbol, before the blue screen where it starts windows… I get error:

logonui.exe bad image authui.dll

"C:windows/system32/Authui.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it has an error." -- can't post image from phone.

Computer was on all night. Pretty sure I did restart it once late this morning, having done normal virus scan, and spyware scan. No issues. (stating because after 2 flash player updates (chrome only), and possibly one from Norton antivirus update, had inconsistencies with disk, and CHKDSK ran.) no issues since then; several months ago.

The startup repair on the system recover screen "repair your computer" after F8, found nothing twice.

I don't know what to do…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It does appear that you may have some file corruption issue. Not necessarily related to a virus, it may have resulted from a bad sector on your HDD or not shutting down correctly. For that kind of problem you will probably need to do a Windows 7 repair and for that you will need an installation disc.

My Google-fu found this link to a forum that suggests steps to take. It's further down the page at "Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation."
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

I Did see and read that link... and no, [:/] I do not have a Windows 7 disc.

Right... the third chkdsk did have some bad sectors; unreadable (something?). But I believe it was only 68kb worth, listed at the end; tiny. The first two had identical issues and repairs; but no bad sectors. And that was all quite a while ago (thinking about it further and less stressed, one was actually after Windows update). I have video of all the CHKDSK processes, but obviously can't look at them right now. I did recognize one file name that was searchable, a word document, but I did have it backed up and was able to replace it. Other than that one file no other data loss that I can find.

My wonder is the sleep mode to hard boot...

I did however re-read this: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/logon-error-message

Missed the guys response at the end. Different DLL but seems similar.

And then I found this video, which calmed a lot of my fears about using the tool... (sfc /scannow):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDBRYdDXqo

I had never run chkdsk before, I have never run SFC, have never done a system restore or an image restore. And the latter two are quite concerning. But with that video, I am far less worried, at lest about sfc; "compute in confident".

Probably going to give that a try here shortly.

Computers are stressful…

So I've run system file check eight times, and each time I get "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart and run sfc again". Currently in this loop. No percentage of progress is shown, a few seconds pass and that message comes up.

Command prompt does state administrator at top. My hard drive is "C", but trying to change to C fails. I've seen different steps for "off-line", but that is with disc, USB, or other workstation. (stated but not covered in the video.)

Currently researching. Once again stuck.

The video above makes it clear that a Windows 7 disc should not be necessary to complete. However that is done within windows, not from the system recovery options command prompt.

Anyone familiar with this utility?

BillyVance

If all else fails, get a baseball bat, or sledgehammer, and blast away. You'll feel a lot better. :P

No, if all else fails, just install a real OS on it.
Examples: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, etc.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just found this:

http://digitally-free.blogspot.com/2014/03/windows-system-file-checker-in-repair.html?m=1

Interesting statement about "X:", though labeled administrator, is a "virtual" drive within the repair utility. That when you do off-line, directing SFC at a Windows 7 disc, setting the drive appropriately, it's not scanning the "virtual" drive, but the actual files.

Little concerning, the thought of re-naming things. Multiple people said the action worked below. Trying to figure out how I would adjust this for an online usage of SFC within System recovery options.

But I seem to be stuck in a "repair loop".

Thoughts?

Again, the video I posted above, the individual from Windows 7 forums, is utilizing SFC within Windows, not the recovery tool.

So my misunderstanding was correct, through that last link; with "virtual".

I reviewed a different video, which I thought was only the command line for using a windows 7 disc for sfc, but was for the windows directory on the HDD; that one person said virtual, this other person was saying "offline" in regard to both disk and HDD directory.

Was then able to run the check, but it stated "found corruptions but unable to repair some of them." After restart, successfully got to windows in safe mode. Then again, restarting normally got me to windows.

I am back on the desktop…

I however am not able to open word documents, any videos, Adobe reader, and several things crash immediately upon start up; spybot, Adobe, Nvidia, and so on. Firefox and IE do not work, only Chrome. But at least That works.

Notepad and pictures open as normal. Video file thumbnails load, so it seems as if all data is secure, but ".exe" will not work for the majority of things.

Progress, but still not functional.

After a break I'm going to run check disk; but that's HDD integrity related, not system files; unless I'm wrong.

Qs:

1) If I got my hands on a Windows 7 disc, possibility of repairing the other damaged files with sfc?

B) Do all of the various windows updates over the years create issues in regard to that?

2) -- (99.5% of my data was backed up. What was not backed up at the moment of issue, appears I can quickly throw it on a USB flash drive; one word document, and Firefox bookmarks possibly had one or two additions.)

Have never done a system restore before (only known points are after windows update, but I do have dell software that appears to make back ups as well) … could this fix everything? Throw everything back to a point where those currently corrupt Windows system files were not corrupt?

If so why would SFC not work fully?

3) Is anyone knowledgeable enough about Windows system files for me to send you the SFC text document, possibly replace them individually?

4) Any other logical steps between those above, and complete reformatting?

Or before Billy's option...

So I did not take a break… I changed search criteria and found this:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/what-system-restore-can-and-cannot-do-to-your-windows-system/

Since I'm back on the desktop, sounds like a system restore might be the best option...? (hopefully there is a restore point relatively recent)

Anyone have any issues with what is listed here?

I don't think a system restore is going to help you much. The Windows "system restore" is little more than a Windows registry backup; It refers to drivers, system files, settings and programs that were installed or referenced on your computer at a specific point in time (your restore point) and attempts to "re-link" the OS to those files if they still exist on your HDD. System restore cannot generally recover files that are either totally deleted or corrupted.

I am assuming that you noticed in my earlier post to this link that;
"If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at Windows 7 Forums"

For that you will of course need another computer to download and burn approx 3.5GB to DVD, but if you are able then I believe it's your best bet. The added bonus is that if the repair doesn't work then you can use the same disc to re-install the entire OS as a last resort.

Hmm...

I did find a link to a Microsoft question, that spoke about a specific Windows update that was causing corrupt file returns and unable to fix in system file check.

The first 2 CHKDSK issues, I am positive were in regard to flash; the first was a blue screen of death while watching a news related video. And the last was after a large windows update on 3/28. Prompts did not come up, so it was at least two months worth if not three or more.

Would doing a system restore before those windows updates, hurt, anything? Make this problem worse?

I did run check disk as said above, and it said volume was clean. Further system file check scans from within Windows returned the same without any change.

Yes, I did see that… No, I do not have another computer to do so.

With that download be different from an original Windows 7 disc received during purchase? I might be able to get my hands on an old Windows 7 disc. But that would be very difficult.

HIDGAF84

Note: I cannot get into Control Panel or system properties to check windows version.

"COM Surrogate has stopped working"

I know it's home premium, and looking at that list I'm pretty sure it's x64.

What are your thoughts about our USB flash drive instead?

Yeah, I'd guess your hard drive is boned. It sounds like a boned hard drive to me. You might just be able to replace the hard drive with one that isn't boned or you could use the excuse to upgrade your laptop.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Would doing a system restore before those windows updates, hurt, anything? Make this problem worse?

It could make it worse if you have installed or updated anything significant since the last restore point.
The latest hardware drivers, Windows updates, service packs, installations of MS Office or other programs installed after the restore point...
Any of these things could either be gone or downgraded to an earlier version after a system restore.

If you had perhaps manually created a restore point in the past when your computer was all good then system restore may be lucky to return it to that state but if you have a dodgy HDD or corrupt system files then bets are off.

For a Windows Repair; The advisory regarding the Windows 7 ISO on the forums states that you would need to get the ISO for the same version as yours (Ultimate, Enterprise, Home, 32-bit, 64-bit etc.) and so you should not be using just any old Windows 7 disc for a Repair.
If you're down to your last option and decide to re-install the entire OS then any version you can get your hands on will do, provided you're happy with it's features.

Cost is an issue with a new system, or even an upgrade. However the problem, is this is extremely bad timing. I have some very time sensitive matters that I was trying to accomplish before the end of April.

I really need to get this fixed… and fast.

I've held off on any system restore… trying to figure out a recovery disk solution.

Last windows update was 3/28; because of the inconsistencies in the disk and the check disk issue, the new updates currently available I had not installed. That happened very shortly after the windows update. Since that time, only Firefox, Norton, Spybot, and spywarebot have been updated. No other HDD issues, everything has remained constant, no data integrity issues that I can tell. I think flash (after check disk from flash, all installable versions were removed. Now only chrome is used for flash content) and these windows updates, caused the issues, and is not a failing hard drive. I have no evidence to point to a failing hard drive.

Those are all standard/regular updates, with the Windows update being the only thing "significant."

Through further reading... it sure seems like a system restore, could, address corrupt system files; along with I can't make sense from the system file check log what is Actually corrupt. I am not at all discounting your statements. But I think any programs related things with those, if they were pushed back would not be too big of a deal; with in my limited knowledge base.

Below the command prompt in the recovery options menu, there is a Dell automatic backup program (never cared about till now), I can investigate that further. Other than the windows update restore point, and whatever dell software may have done, I have made no manual restore points.

Can't research it at the moment… But I am confused about "SP1", or any other differentiations with Windows 7. On the page enabling you to download an ISO image, the only differences are home, professional, ultimate, and 34/64. I don't see anything with SP1 or other service packs.

I'm about 99.9% sure I have home 64.

If I were hypothetically find my windows 7 disc that came with purchase, do any windows updates change the ability to use that disk? Service service packs wise?

Appreciate it! ... Yes, a USB drive was definitely a thought. But I don't have a clear one at the moment; was debating just buying a new one.

However... I may have just found what I needed.

I just got a hold of all of my software, all the unopened disks. I do not have a Windows 7 disc, but I do have a Dell "drivers and utilities" disk for an "inspron 17R."

Quick Google search, it says you can reinstall Windows 7 from the disc… But I have not yet been able to see anything in relation to sfc /scannow or a "repair install" as on the link discussed above… on any on any Dell pages yet. Only a reinstall or system restore.

Is this my "Windows 7 disc"?

I would pop it in and give it a go, but I'm currently stuck in a check disk. Decided to run SFC again and check disk and see if I got any difference after a while. Check disk took two seconds before and said volume clear that first time. Now it's fully running.... 5 hours so far. Woops.

I have never owned a Dell of any kind, so I cannot comment for sure.

Most "drivers and utilities" discs are only add-ons installed after Windows.
However, major manufacturers have been known to customize their versions of Windows to include their preferred drive partitioning, hardware drivers and utilities as part of the Windows installation.
The easiest way to know is to put yours in and try boot from it.

Does your laptop offer any other menu options during boot up ? Sometimes options briefly appear similar to "Press F12 for menu..." which may take you to some Dell recovery options. Some manufacturers such as HP create a semi-hidden partition on their laptops that contain recovery files and utilities accessible from the boot menu.
It may be worth checking for that.

Thoughts on hard booting out of a check disk?

This is absolutely insane… in almost 2 days it has not even gone 100 files. The first ~145K went slow but steady, now one file can take up to five hours. I'm at 154,763 of 250k. I'm assuming this is lots of HD video from iPhone and Sony HD cameras. Which none of it had integrity issues after the first check disk runs on its own.

Everything is backed up… but I wouldn't want to damage my disk if it's not already damaged; in anyway.

I had no idea this could take that long.

This was already horrible timing, this is destroying any ability to even try to fix this.

A Chkdsk should not take more than about 4 hours even on a 1TB drive. I'm now inclined to agree with an earlier poster that your HDD is on it's way out.

Cut your losses. Get a new HDD, an OS disc, your "drivers and utilities" and your backups and start fresh.