billvon

Odd siding in Santa Rosa train station

They are putting in a new rail line in Santa Rosa that will run from Larkspur Landing near San Franscisco up to Sonoma. While there I saw them running test trains on the track (not quite open yet.)

I walked down to check out the station. I saw a switch leading to a siding and figured that was so they could pull a train up to the station while another train (freight maybe?) could pass it. But when I checked it out, it didn't make sense (see attached.)

So what's the story here? I had a few ideas but wanted to run it by people here first.

The only thing I can think of is that there must be different types of train cars with different widths above ground, even though the wheel base is the same. So depending upon whether the car is a narrow one or a wide one, they use the appropriate track. A narrow car uses the one closest to the platform to minimize the gap climbing aboard. And a wide car uses the far track so that it doesn't smash into the platform. Woe be to the conductor who who puts the wide car on the narrow rail...

That's my guess, but I know nothing about trains.

Its called a Gauntlet Track.

Some are for when a different gauge (width of wheels/track) is needed along the same route.

Others are used for when different clearances from the side of the train are required (gonna guess that's the case here).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>Others are used for when different clearances from the side of the train are required . . .

Yep. Asked the workers the next day and that's what they said (to allow clearance for freight trains.) Oddly the tracks on the other side do NOT do this; they weren't sure why but I assume it's because freight will only run on one track.

Interesting link, thanks.

billvon

>Others are used for when different clearances from the side of the train are required . . .

Yep. Asked the workers the next day and that's what they said (to allow clearance for freight trains.) Oddly the tracks on the other side do NOT do this; they weren't sure why but I assume it's because freight will only run on one track.

Interesting link, thanks.

billvon,

I thought you were referring to the following (from their brochure), but I guess not.

Speed
▪ Top speed of 79 mph; average speed (including stops) of 40 mph
▪ Strategically placed double track allow trains to operate and pass in
both directions at standard speeds

Btw, I'm a 5 min walk around the corner from the Rohnert Park station. What were you doing up in Santa Rosa?

> Strategically placed double track allow trains to operate and pass in
> both directions at standard speeds

That's what I thought too at first - but on that particular "siding," trying to pass would lead to a sticky end of both trains.

> What were you doing up in Santa Rosa?

Going to Russian River brewery. I do a pilgrimage periodically.

>Oh, and would that be the Santa Rosa North station by Guerneville Rd?

No, this is the one "downtown" in Railroad Square by the coffee place.

Bill, I think Elisha meant to pass the platform at standard speed..

I think we have the same here in Fresno.. The close track is for Amtrack to stop along side of the platform..

When tracks are used for other rail traffic, such as freight, they stay on the farther set and can proceed past at their usual 35-45 mph through town..

However, not meant as a siding to allow cars clearance/passing.. Those are in more open areas..

Not a railroad guy, I just have a couple projects where we need access along the railways..

And, since I'm not an Engineer - I Don't Drive Trains:P...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Actually, no...I meant what I wrote about two trains passing each other, but obviously from billvon's picture, this is impossible with those specific type of tracks. I think most of the trains passing each other tracks (which I posted from the SMART website) are in longer stretches between stations.