jclalor

Does this sound plausible?

quade

NTSB accident/incident reports rarely include names.

I find the entire scenario highly implausible, but not 100% impossible (aka weird shit happens).

I was looking through NTSB based on a/c make/model and location.
I found nothing close to what the article described.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

NTSB accident/incident reports rarely include names.

I find the entire scenario highly implausible, but not 100% impossible (aka weird shit happens).

I'm reluctant to say "impossible", mainly because damned near every time I do, it turns out it was possible.

BUT...

200# test line is pretty strong. And pretty heavy. To get a kite up 800 feet, it would take well over 1000' of line. I have my doubts about the ability of even a large kite to lift that much weight.

However, even "pretty strong" isn't all that strong. I would expect the "shock load" would snap the line before it would take the girl off the ground.

And even if it didn't, the sudden jerk from the plane "taking" the line would be more than any human would be able to handle. There's practically no chance of her being able to hang on. Try it yourself - see how much force it takes to yank a spool of kite string out of the hands of someone. I highly doubt that anyone would be able to hold onto a sudden jerk well enough to be lifted off the ground.

Last, but not least - I highly doubt that a kite string would put a "2 inch gash" into a metal prop. Again, I don't care how strong the line is, the prop would cut or break it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I assumed the prop damage came from hitting the kite its self.

And if you watch this all the way through, the initial acceleration of the final version looks pretty mild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xlYpKrCnU
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I assumed the prop damage came from hitting the kite its self.

And if you watch this all the way through, the initial acceleration of the final version looks pretty mild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xlYpKrCnU

Heavy line produces a LOT of slack - so there would be a lot less initial shock force in my mind.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I work about a mile from that lot (Google). There are always kites flying in it, it's even labeled on maps as "kite lot." So I guess the thing from the end of the article about a ban there never happened (though usually what I see are traction kites for mountain boards and buggies, sometimes there are traditional string kites too). I was not however around here in 1988. :)
A 100yd spool of 200lb test line has a shipping weight (i.e. spool + line + packaging) of under a pound. So 800ft of line probably actually doesn't weigh that much, and kites can generate enough lift that the weight of the line as described above is trivial.

The line was most likely very elastic, which means the ramp up to full load (her body weight) would have been gradual, which means no "snatch force." Her being dragged is indeed a likely scenario, were everything else to have occured as described. I'd definitely not believe it if the article claimed she got lifted up high into the sky. I'm even dubious that she was truly lifted over her father's head to begin with; that was likely hyperbole.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

wolfriverjoe

***NTSB accident/incident reports rarely include names.

I'm reluctant to say "impossible", mainly because damned near every time I do, it turns out it was possible.

BUT...

200# test line is pretty strong. And pretty heavy. To get a kite up 800 feet, it would take well over 1000' of line. I have my doubts about the ability of even a large kite to lift that much weight.

However, even "pretty strong" isn't all that strong. I would expect the "shock load" would snap the line before it would take the girl off the ground.

And even if it didn't, the sudden jerk from the plane "taking" the line would be more than any human would be able to handle. There's practically no chance of her being able to hang on. Try it yourself - see how much force it takes to yank a spool of kite string out of the hands of someone. I highly doubt that anyone would be able to hold onto a sudden jerk well enough to be lifted off the ground.

Last, but not least - I highly doubt that a kite string would put a "2 inch gash" into a metal prop. Again, I don't care how strong the line is, the prop would cut or break it.

A few things...
Because of angular force vectors and delta inertia, the "snatch" would be mitigated through the snag and load points. 2x 200b line is plenty strong to lift a kid. I use 300/200lb line on my quad kites. Never broken a line. It would basically be a smooth acceleration.

As for altitude, I have a feeling the report is off. No one I know flies a power kite needing 1000' lines.

-SPACE-