ryoder

Any truckers here want to take this driving job?

It is apparently a commercial for C&C Trucks, (which becomes obvious at the end).
But holy shit, I would not want to be driving that rig when a big gust of wind comes along!:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cnHui4pFBU
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

riggerrob

Easy to install spoilers, just strap wooden planks around the blade. Then the blade is "stalled" at all wind angles.

Me thinks the problems are more cg and obstacle avoidance rather than a wind problem as slow as they are going. But what do I know?
I only do that kinda shit for a living. :S
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

With that much weight (says 80 tons), and the blade set "feathered" to any side wind, I don't think crosswinds would be too much of an issue.

As a comparison, my truck goes around 16-17 tons empty, the van trailer is 13'6"9'6" tall and 53' long. That's a bit over 700 500 square feet of "sail area". Probably more than those blades, at a fraction of the weight.

I get nervous with anything over about 30 mph crosswind component. I've parked with a 40 mph (sustained) direct crosswind (on I-25 between Cheyenne & the CO line).

Edit to fix size of trailer. The 4' from the ground to the bottom of the trailer don't really count.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Rocky Mountain Metro (KBJC) sits on sort of an elevated plateau on the West side of town here. So the road that runs along the North side of it (120th) is is exposed to the wind.

One day I was cycling Westbound along there, tilted into a hell of a nasty wind out of the South. Approaching from the West was a rig pulling what appeared to be one half of a mobile/modular home. Just as he reached a point about 150' from me, the whole trailer did a quarter of a barrel roll into my lane.:o If only I'd had a helmet cam that day.

When I came back through an hour later, they were just getting it back on its wheels.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wolfriverjoe

I've parked with a 40 mph (sustained) direct crosswind (on I-25 between Cheyenne & the CO line).

That is one windy stretch of highway. I don't care much for I-80 west of Cheyenne either.

Edit to fix size of trailer. The 4' from the ground to the bottom of the trailer don't really count.

That 4' off the ground counts as a good moment arm for leverage in tipping over the trailer. ;)