wmw999

Oh Canada!

We're touring the Maritimes right now; been here a couple of weeks, here a couple more. Newfoundland right now (NL is awesome -- well worth coming to). No skydiving this trip -- nearly all the DZ's are west of where we're heading.

But some high points are posted, including a lovely Nova Scotia wine.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

We're touring the Maritimes right now; been here a couple of weeks, here a couple more. Newfoundland right now (NL is awesome -- well worth coming to). No skydiving this trip -- nearly all the DZ's are west of where we're heading.

But some high points are posted, including a lovely Nova Scotia wine.

Wendy P.

OMG you found Bullwinkle..... Was Rocky hangin with him??:ph34r:

JohnMitchell

Love the moose pic esp. I've never seen one in the wild myself.

Next time put your pretty smile in those pics too, maybe next to the glass of wine. ;)B|

I've had a VERY close encounter with a pair of mooses (meeses??? lol) a few years ago.

We were canoeing in the Laurentians in QC, and as we went around a bend in a river, this pair of mooses was drinking in the shallows... We must have been 10 feet from them at most. They weren't being aggressive, but we still backed away slowly...

Lemme tell you: an adult moose is big, but they are even bigger when you're "kneeling" on the water at their feet...
Remster

Yesterday we did the Viking/Norsemen site. An absolute high point for me. It's extremely well done; the park guide was one of the children who used to play on the "Indian mounds" before it was identified. He remembers before there was power up there (they had a battery powered console radio that was reserved for hockey), and when a trip to the bigger town 10 or so miles away was huge because of the lack of roads. He was one of the young adults who worked on the site in the early 70's, and has been a guide since, along with building rowboats in the winter. The perfect (talkative) local to tell us about the site.
I cannot recommend this highly enough.

The wine was delicious; four skins is just enough :ph34r:. We might make it as far as dildo run provincial park tonight :P. Haven't had fish and brewis yet (the fish plant was out), but it's in the plans.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Remster

I've had a VERY close encounter with a pair of mooses (meeses??? lol) a few years ago.

We were canoeing in the Laurentians in QC, and as we went around a bend in a river, this pair of mooses was drinking in the shallows... We must have been 10 feet from them at most. They weren't being aggressive, but we still backed away slowly...

Lemme tell you: an adult moose is big, but they are even bigger when you're "kneeling" on the water at their feet...

I've heard that hippos, big water loving animals that eat only plants, are the most dangerous animals to man in Africa. :o

JohnMitchell

***I've had a VERY close encounter with a pair of mooses (meeses??? lol) a few years ago.

I've heard that hippos, big water loving animals that eat only plants, are the most dangerous animals to man in Africa. :o

They are, hands down, the meanest motherfuckers you'll ever have the misfortune to confront in their habitat.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No to Perce Rock (we just kind of drove through Gaspe; it's another trip). Today we went to Cape St Mary's at the south end of Newdoundland's Avalon peninsula. It has the largest gannet population in Newfoundland, and you can sit on an adjoining hillside about 100 yards away. It was stunning, and fabulous. More than made up for the asshole in the park last night who kept his very loud generator on until who knows when >:(. But this was the first generator annoyance in a month, with about 50% sites where a generator is a possibility (i.e. Without services).

Back to NS tomorrow; they've been under a hiking ban because they're so dry, I just hope it's rained in the last couple of weeks. Then home.

Life is good

Wendy P.

jumpwally

Why can't you hike cuz it's dry ? I understand campfires...geez

Because wild fires can spread faster than you think, given the right wind. Anybody out there hiking can get caught in no-man's land and not be able to outrun it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh my. We did spend the night in Gander (ate at Bistro on Roe), lovely town, though the road work made driving a little rough. The aviation museum, with its own Beech, PBY, and all the early aviation stuff, as well as the ATC conversations with pilots on 9/11, was an absolute keeper. Loved it.

Maybe tea next time. Would have been interesting, though.

Wendy P.

Did you see the picture in the museum of Fidel Castro riding the toboggan? That was my toboggan - no shit.

Comical that Gander has a 'Bistro'. Ches's Fish n Chips is more like the speed there. Great restaurant at Sinbad's Hotel, pretty classy and expensive.

pchapman

*** Fidel Castro riding the toboggan? That was my toboggan - no shit.

Now that needs the back story told!

Even if it would brand you as some kinda pinko Commie prevert in some circles, for aiding and abetting Fidel in enjoying a winter's day...

C'mon TK, I second Peter's motion!

John