Nataly

Recovering data from a broken phone?

Dunno if anyone has any first-hand experience with this... Have a broken Samsung Galaxy S5. Was dropped. Black screen and won't turn on / charge.

Is there any way to recover the data?? Am prepared and have all the tools to open it up...

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Does it have a memory card as well as a sim card? If these are not damaged you may well be able to put them in a new phone with your data intact. Or take them out and read them on a laptop and retrieve / backup the information there.

One warning from my experience. A few years ago, transferring from a windows phone to an android one, android screwed up all the date info in my contacts list. Don't know if you might encounter the same problem if you try backing up memory card contacts onto windows outlook, they may (should!) have resolved that bug by now.
Anne

Most of the apps back up to the cloud, so if you use your same login credentials (Usually a Gmail address and password) with the new phone, it should pull a lot of the stuff you had in your apps back from the cloud.

If you had an external SD card in the phone, you can just pull that card out and put it in the new phone. They don't have any moving parts and are hard to damage when they're in a device.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

quade

Have you tried talking to the NSA?

Not that you have to, I mean, they already know. ;)

:D:D

In answer to other questions: it's pictures we care about. Contacts are already on Outlook... Nothing saved on the SIM card, no memory card either. Apps - we don't give a shit...

Any *known* recovery programs? Remember - phone won't even turn on or charge... Dead screen as well.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You'll probably have to use a service. This is almost certainly beyond the capabilities of most hobbyists.

One such company would be;
https://datarecovery.com/services/cell-phone-data-recovery/

You should be able to google others, possibly ones near you.

Oh, one more thing...

Before handing your phone over to any such company, change the passwords of ALL of the on-line accounts you care about; credit cards, stocks, Twitter, Facebook...

Anything that if one of their techs decided to make use of would suck.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Oh, one more thing...

Before handing your phone over to any such company, change the passwords of ALL of the on-line accounts you care about; credit cards, stocks, Twitter, Facebook...

Anything that if one of their techs decided to make use of would suck.

Excellent point. Am thinking this is not an option. It's not my phone but I suspect that unlike me, she actually cares about some of the more private pics on there...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because I keep forgetting to upload them to the damn computer, because I'm suck a slacker.

But... with my gmail account, I can retrieve all of my contacts when setting it up on a new phone. I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

I'll figure it out someday.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

Should be pretty trivial. An adapter would make it work with many laptops and you can just copy the pictures off.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

Should be pretty trivial. An adapter would make it work with many laptops and you can just copy the pictures off.

This only works if your phone can still be switched on...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

******I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

You sure you didn't take a hammer to it?

The phone repair services should be able to get most of your info - but why worry - the NSA already has it - just ask them.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

You sure you didn't take a hammer to it?

The phone repair services should be able to get most of your info - but why worry - the NSA already has it - just ask them.:)

The phone I had before the last one that broke, I fast-balled it into a brick wall. I was able to transfer the SD card from it to the next phone of the same kind without a problem. After the next phone broke, I decided I'd had enough of that model.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because I keep forgetting to upload them to the damn computer, because I'm suck a slacker.

But... with my gmail account, I can retrieve all of my contacts when setting it up on a new phone. I still have my SanDisk card from the last phone. Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

Is that the new one that's catching on fire? :o
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

Is that the new one that's catching on fire? :o. I think it's the s7 note that they are having the issue with. I don't think the reg phone has the prob
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

******I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

Is that the new one that's catching on fire? :o. I think it's the s7 note that they are having the issue with. I don't think the reg phone has the prob

Keith is correct. I have the Samsung Galaxy S7, not the Note.

BillyVance

*********I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

thanks Billy I was about to look that up. I have the S7 also
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

************I've had multiple phones broken. Always seem to lose the pictures because Need to find a way to retrieve the pics off of it, but its from a blackberry and I now use a Samsung S7.

thanks Billy I was about to look that up. I have the S7 also

My S7 does get hot sometimes. I have a 1 touch app that frees up the phone's memory and then it cools back down.