firstime

sears direct parts

just happened to see this...yes...don't order from them...you don't get an email conformation and I called the store where my item was shipped...it had been there for a couple of weeks with no notification...

no wonder they're bankrupt...

yeah on dorkzone...

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Here's my recent story. Not Sears, but a shipping nightmare.

I ordered something online, and without my knowledge, they shipped it "signature required". FedEx attempts delivery, I'm not home, notice on door. I attach note to their notice, leaving my signature and request they leave it on my doorstep. 2nd delivery attempt, they refuse to leave on door step, and leave another notice on my door. I attach another note, and request they leave it at my apartment office. 3rd delivery attempt, they refuse to leave at office, insisting again on my personal signature. I'm not taking an entire day off work to sit and wait for the delivery man. I'm not allowed to receive personal packages at work, so I can't re-direct it. End result, package is returned to shipper, I don't get the product. And now I have to ask for a refund, out of which I'm sure they'll deduct a healthy restocking fee. Everybody's time is wasted. Shipper loses sale. I lose the product I wanted. FedEx wastes their delivery time.

I have a 15 yr old Craftsman lawn tractor, and order all parts from Sears parts direct... no issues ordering online (I take screen shots of order confirmation), no issues returning merchandise either....

I did have an issue when trying to pick up a part directly from their warehouse.... after confirming with them that the store would be open and the part was in stock. Drove 2 hours... parts dept was closed. Found out the next day they didn't even have the part. [:/]

YMMV

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I had one recently. Ordered a 60" vanity and counter with sink off Home Depot online, since they don't have anything that long in stock in the stores. Shipping info showed it being shipped from California with a due date in two weeks. Two weeks go by, nothing. I check the tracking data. Shows they attempted to deliver but no one was home to sign for it, and they didn't leave a notice at all. I texted the Home Depot associate to find out what was going on.

Later the tracking info showed they scheduled a new delivery date. I left a note on my door saying to leave it there. Day comes and goes, nothing. No notice. Fuck. When you spend $1800 on something that's big and heavy, and not easily picked up, and I live in a small rural like town with little crime, common sense says just leave it the fuck there. :S Besides, a house alarm and security video that will catch anything happening, I don't worry about it.

I texted my associate again. Finally, I get an email from the shipping company. Apparently the rep upgraded my shipping options without my knowing about it, meaning a signature was required. :S

I responded saying to just leave it there. So a new date was set. Lo and behold, I pull up at home and its right there in front of my garage door on a pallet. About fucking time. Took a month too. :|

I'm also fortunate enough that I can get stuff sent to me at work. It's a machine shop, so there's stuff being delivered almost every day.

ETA: even though I could have had it shipped to my work, I would not be able to get the fucking things off my truck without help once I got home.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh by the way, the Sears dept store at the mall in Oxford, AL shut down. I usually got my appliances there. [:/]

At least the small Sears neighborhood store is still open in my town, so I get my craftsman riding mower parts there. But the Kmart store its in is pretty much on life support. Wouldn't surprise me if they go under within a year.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Glitch

I have a 15 yr old Craftsman lawn tractor, and order all parts from Sears parts direct... no issues ordering online (I take screen shots of order confirmation), no issues returning merchandise either....

I once had a Craftsman lawn tractor. While still under warranty, the engine began running poorly. Trailered it up and took it to the Sears service center. Days later they said it needed a new ignition module. Fine, do it, I said. They said the part was on back order for months.

I told them there was no way I could wait months, in the summer, to get my lawn tractor fixed. They said "Call the store and see if they have a new tractor in stock."

I couldn't believe they would pawn their problem off on the store like that. I called the store to complain, telling them what the service center said. The guy at the store replied "Yeah, we got 'em in stock. Bring your old one down and we'll give you a new one." :o

So, for want of one part, I got my year-old tractor upgraded to a brand new, next year's model. Great deal for me, but it was easy to see at that point that I should avoid buying stock in Sears. ;)

Mixed experiences. For most Craftsman model parts, they seem to have their shit together, and you get stuff like any normal online ordering place.

But they advertise pretty much every part in the world for everything...and when you order something like that, I have had quick deliveries, no deliveries, backorders. etc. backordering with no notification, they cannot even tell you when it might arrive.

Sears was at this long before Amazon came along and yet somehow managed to fuck it up beyond all recognition. And that is why they are dying. They should have completely owned the world in this area, but sold off the company piece by piece and what was left is being run by idiots.

tools and appliances are all that is left.

tkhayes

Sears was at this long before Amazon came along and yet somehow managed to fuck it up beyond all recognition. And that is why they are dying. They should have completely owned the world in this area, but sold off the company piece by piece and what was left is being run by idiots.

I read a recovery plan for Sears that stated their core retail strength being appliances and televisions. Last time I was in a Sears store it was dead, with the sales people outnumbering the 3-4 customers I saw in there.

JohnMitchell

***Sears was at this long before Amazon came along and yet somehow managed to fuck it up beyond all recognition. And that is why they are dying. They should have completely owned the world in this area, but sold off the company piece by piece and what was left is being run by idiots.

I read a recovery plan for Sears that stated their core retail strength being appliances and televisions. Last time I was in a Sears store it was dead, with the sales people outnumbering the 3-4 customers I saw in there.

The nearest department store closed, in Oxford, AL. I still have the neighborhood store in town nearby which is ensconced in a corner of the Kmart store. I wouldn't be surprised if that location shut down within a couple of years

Yeah, all the stock market news I read basically says Sears is circling the drain. I sometimes wonder if their branding just got too old fashioned.

Like Normiss said, they owned catalog sales for decades. Sears used to sell complete HOUSE kits, delivered on site and built locally. Then they could sell you everything you needed to go inside that house. Sears was the place you went for everything you needed, from shovels to TVs to toys to clothing.

But I think they just let all the competition eat away at their business. They now seem to be my last choice for shopping. The only reason I was in there the other day was that Vskydiver was waiting in line at the Verizon store next door and I was killing time. I did see a barbecue cover in stock I could use, but for 50% more than the same item at Walmart. :S

Inefficient and overpriced, never a recipe for success. Sears, and similar organizations put thousands of smaller less efficient stores out of business when they were dominant. Now they have also failed to adapt and will go away the same as those they drove away.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

A few years ago we went to Sears looking for a new dryer. The sale person was rude, didn't know the products and the sales prices were beyond deceptive. When they started adding in all the misc. fees and charges for delivery set up removing the old appliance, etc ..... you were looking at a price 2-3 hundred more. We walked out and went to the Home Depot down the road. Pleasant, hassle free and no hidden fees.

Not to mention, if you finance the appliance Sears will most likely file a UCC against you and they'll "forget" to release it after the loan is paid. That's a big headache when you try to sell or refinance your home and do you really need a lien on a $500 appliance? (I used to do title/escrow closings and saw the UCCs all the time on title searches....)

There was a time when they were so bad with their reporting that any negative ratings from Sears on a credit report were automatically disregarded much the same way medical collections are now.

Not a fan ...........

tigra

Not to mention, if you finance the appliance Sears will most likely file a UCC against you and they'll "forget" to release it after the loan is paid. That's a big headache when you try to sell or refinance your home and do you really need a lien on a $500 appliance? (I used to do title/escrow closings and saw the UCCs all the time on title searches....)

Interesting stuff. I understand (from construction loans) about liens and signed "release of lien" papers. What's a UCC?

I know what you mean about Home Depot. They and Lowe's Home Improvement make getting new appliances almost painless. We got a smokin' deal from Lowes on our last kitchen remodel. Sears? Didn't even look there.

A UCC is a financing statement usually used in commercial real estate to cover leases and/or fixtures. It doesn't require a signature and back in the day, Sears was notorious for filing them on home appliances without the consumer's knowledge. I don't know if they still do it or not- its been a while since I've seen one on a residential title report.

Yeah, great place, on DZ.com to discuss getting a bad haircut, how you were late to work, the bird that flew into the window ...You, and your query are a waste of electrons.

Yet you waste more electrons replying. And are a dick about it.

Bonfire is for non-skydiving stuff. Don't want to see non-skydiving stuff? Don't come into Bonfire.

Easy.

- Dan G

Ahem...so, there's this "no personal attacks" rule here on the forums. All of you who have said a PA in this thread have been here long enough to know this rule. This is your one warning. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

dpreguy

Yeah, great place, on DZ.com to discuss getting a bad haircut, how you were late to work, the bird that flew into the window ...You, and your query are a waste of electrons.

Aww, man, that's all the stuff of life, the mundane things that make you laugh. I love to hear all this stuff, just like around the real bonfire. Go grab a beer and pull up the seat and I'll tell you all about my stooped, funny day. B|:)