kallend

Cars that appeal to jerks.

BillyVance

Every time I see one of those crotch rockets zooming down the highway at 120mph+, I almost hope they wipe out and wrap themselves around a tree or something. Take that shit to the racetrack. There's a damn nice one 30 miles west of me at Barber Motorsports, assholes. :|

Incidentally, one rider from Georgia was killed there over the weekend. [:/]

Not me, man. Usually it's on a 30-mile stretch of twisty mountain road. I just know that guy's going to wrap himself around a tree 10-15 miles up the road and completely fuck traffic up while the fire crew scoops him off the tree with a spatula. The only thing that sucks worse than having one of those guys ahead of you on a stretch of road that's the only way to get where you're going is having him behind you.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

BillyVance

There would be a lot less road rage if people treated the left lane as for passing only.

There would be a lot less road rage if entitled assholes would chill out. They are the only people responsible for it. regardless of whether others are being courteous or discourteous.

the idea that someone driving at the posted speed limit is responsible for -another's- childish temper tantrum on the road is ludicrous - and cowardly. Kindergarten level rationalization at best.

(It's 'courtesy' to move over, it's not a right. I'm a believer in courtesy - as long as it's both ways - so I get over when I'm not passing. But if someone isn't doing it the second I scream up into their tailpipe, it's not the end of the world).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***There would be a lot less road rage if people treated the left lane as for passing only.

There would be a lot less road rage if entitled assholes would chill out. They are the only people responsible for it. regardless of whether others are being courteous or discourteous.

the idea that someone driving at the posted speed limit is responsible for -another's- childish temper tantrum on the road is ludicrous - and cowardly. Kindergarten level rationalization at best.

(It's 'courtesy' to move over, it's not a right. I'm a believer in courtesy - as long as it's both ways - so I get over when I'm not passing. But if someone isn't doing it the second I scream up into their tailpipe, it's not the end of the world).

You have a point. I do have some patience. I pull up on a slower vehicle in the left lane but not up on their tailpipe and wait. I don't tailgate. Eventually they'll pull up and move over. It's the ones that have no intention of ever moving over even if the lane next to them is clear, and they don't leave enough space for me to get around them because they're going the exact same speed as the middle or right lane.

A Toyota Prius did that this morning for 4 miles. I had to wait until the vehicle in the right lane took the exit ramp then I went around.

You understand there are states that now have laws against squatting in the left lane and holding up traffic? Troopers in those states will ticket you for that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

A Toyota Prius did that this morning for 4 miles

well, yeah.......it's a Prius owner. of course

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BillyVance

A Toyota Prius did that this morning for 4 miles. I had to wait until the vehicle in the right lane took the exit ramp then I went around.

On a 2 lane suburban arterial in Utah I was stuck behind a slow moving pickup truck, it seemed like forever. When the road finally went to 4 lanes (2 each way), the truck stayed in the left lane. I downshifted, floored it, and zoomed past on the right in my Triumph. As I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw the a cop behind me (in my impatience I forgot to "check 6") hitting the lights and siren . . . oops. :S

Then I watched with joy as he pulled over the slow @$$ truck! :DB|

JohnMitchell

As I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw the a cop behind me (in my impatience I forgot to "check 6") hitting the lights and siren . . . oops. :S

I love it. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

*** As I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw the a cop behind me (in my impatience I forgot to "check 6") hitting the lights and siren . . . oops. :S

I love it. B|

Yep. I wish the cops would enforce this more often.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

kallend

Being retired I have time on my hands but still an inclination to make observations.

I define jerks as those who are in such a hurry to get somewhere that their driving causes others to have to apply their brakes or take other avoiding action. An example would be deliberately getting in the wrong lane to jump to the head of a line and then cutting in.

On the other hand, some cars that I rarely see driven this way:

Chevy Corvette
Large BMWs
Ford Mustang
Jaguars
Porsches

After a lot of additional observation I have decided to add Porsche, Nissan and Mercedes SUV's to the jerk-magnet list.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

skyjumpenfool

******There would be a lot less road rage if people treated the left lane as for passing only.

There would be a lot less road rage if entitled assholes would chill out.

See attachment....

Mr.owc6 and I live on a 50+mile long peninsula with a two-lane each direction highway. We see them set up (camped in) the left lane a good five miles before they need to turn left at any given point on this highway, just to be sure they don't miss it. :S

We call it "They must be turning left in Lusby", which is almost at the end of the peninsula.

If you are even a halfway aware or decent driver, a quarter to a half- mile is plenty of time to get to the left turn/exit.

Otherwise, get the fuck out of the left lane on a two-lane highway except to pass.

It's the law in most places, BTW, not just a courtesy.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

skyjumpenfool

******There would be a lot less road rage if people treated the left lane as for passing only.

See attachment....

The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you on the right when there is heavy traffic. Perhaps this is just a California thing, but when I'm in the fast lane, going 70-80mph and there is traffic ahead me in my lane as far as the eye can see. There are those people who insist on hitting the right hand lane and flooring it towards the 18 wheeler 1000ft in front of them. And then just at the last second, swerve back into he fast lane, not caring there's only 20 feet in between the cars in the fast lane, and then only to just keep repeating the process.

jclalor

*********There would be a lot less road rage if people treated the left lane as for passing only.

See attachment....

The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you on the right when there is heavy traffic. Perhaps this is just a California thing, but when I'm in the fast lane, going 70-80mph and there is traffic ahead me in my lane as far as the eye can see. There are those people who insist on hitting the right hand lane and flooring it towards the 18 wheeler 1000ft in front of them. And then just at the last second, swerve back into he fast lane, not caring there's only 20 feet in between the cars in the fast lane, and then only to just keep repeating the process.

Sorry, man. that's the entire GTFO movement right there - it's for that guy. It's not supposed to be, but that's where it ends up - you're going 80. "name here" is pissed at you because he wants to go 90 or 100. And he's the guy posting the memes and arguing for it. He thinks it's your fault that he is 'forced' to cut people off on his commute.

what do you mean - the designated 'slow moving vehicle' lane is clearly his own personal passing lane. As is the left lane his own personal "going 30-40 mph faster than posted" lane - GTFO. (IMO 30-40 over and GTFO is just as bad as 30-40 under and JGAM (just go around me))

and, that is the guy that thinks "GTFO" is a cool and informative way to spread the message. It's a kind way to phrase it and makes his mother proud.

clear message to slow drivers - I know you think you are safer than the others....you're not, you're just slower and annoying
clear message to speedsters - I know you think you're an amazing driver.....you're not, you're likely just an ass

3 lanes and 70mph posted - I visualize people being courteous and getting over for each other and the lanes kind of ending up left to right: 70-80mph; 70 or so; 60 to 70 (with less than 60 taking another route).

I bet if 50 of us wrote down their own opinions on the speeds in those three lanes, we'd get a LOT of differing opinions on how fast vs which lane.....that's why these tangents just don't work out no matter how clever the memes.

now, back to jerky cars.......pickups with extra long beds where the owner also doesn't take the hitch (receiver) out when not using it. They also tend to park with their wheels up on the curb, or even back in with the hitch completely over the sidewalk at shin level.They also stop well over the crosswalk so no one can see around them.

Edit for all; Thanks for letting me rant - this morning's commute was a record setting day for cell phone texters and right lane speeders on the road

It does bother me when there's a long line of vehicles in the left lane and nothing in the right lane, especially when there's no indication anybody is making progress to pass the vehicle in the right lane ahead of them, and nobody is wanting to move over.

Even more hilarious are the three lane highways where the left two lanes are full of vehicles, and nothing in the right lane. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite? :S

Have I gone around them using the right lane? Yes, plenty of times. But I'm not going to squeeze through a gap with a few feet to spare. If there's a 3 to 4 car length gap, I'm taking it. Some people just set their vehicle on cruise control and ride the left lane oblivious or uncaring to what's behind them. Sometimes they don't realize it or they're on their phone or some shit.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Even more hilarious are the three lane highways where the left two lanes are full of vehicles, and nothing in the right lane. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite? :S

...Some people just set their vehicle on cruise control and ride the left lane oblivious or uncaring to what's behind them. Sometimes they don't realize it or they're on their phone or some shit.

Or it's the section that goes through a residential area, with heavily-used exits and on-ramps every mile. I hear where you're coming from, but in that case I see no problem with people treating it like it's a 2-lane highway. Middle lane is treated like the right lane, left lane is left lane. Right lane is just for those transitioning onto or out of the freeway.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

>The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you
>on the right when there is heavy traffic. Perhaps this is just a California thing, but
>when I'm in the fast lane, going 70-80mph and there is traffic ahead me in my lane
>as far as the eye can see.

You can avoid the whole issue by moving right when someone behind you wants to pass.

Just sayin.

billvon

>The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you
>on the right when there is heavy traffic. Perhaps this is just a California thing, but
>when I'm in the fast lane, going 70-80mph and there is traffic ahead me in my lane

You can avoid the whole issue by moving right when someone behind you wants to pass.

Just sayin.

Even if your goal is also to pass the people you are following. Am I supposed to pull over every time someone pulls up behind me when I'm trapped behind other drivers?

billvon

Just sayin.

I have no problem pulling over even if I'm driving 80 and someone behind wants to go faster, providing conditions are right. If I'm in very heavy traffic and there's no place to go, why would I pull over?

What pisses me off, is when traffic is heavy, and people go into the less congested slow lane and speed up and then try to renter the fast lane, even if there isn't room.

It basically boils down to the first thing I could ever remember being taught in kindergarten, you have to wait your turn.

david3

***>The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you

Just sayin.

Even if your goal is also to pass the people you are following. Am I supposed to pull over every time someone pulls up behind me when I'm trapped behind other drivers?

Most states have laws that supersede "stay right except to pass" when the traffic is heavy enough to make this impractical.

That said, I'm usually going faster than others, but what I hate is some guy who comes up behind me faster than me, and I'm polite enough to move over for him (as should be), but then he sits next to me in the left lane until I have to make the decision to either slow down or drop it it to a lower gear to get back in front of him in order to not be trapped behind the guy in right lane who was way up there when I moved over. >:(
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

david3

***>The most obvious car that appeals to jerks are the cars that insist on passing you

Just sayin.

Exactly. If I'm not stuck behind other vehicles, I'll move over and let you by, and that's IF I'm in the left lane. Ride my ass when I'm behind a line of vehicles, wait your damn turn. :P