DeltaKiloWhisky

Had my first cutaway this past weekend.

I Just got my A licence a couple weeks ago, and things have been great since. A hand full of jumps, some great 4 ways, an amazing sunset jump where I was able to hang out under canopy and soak in the fall colors, sunset over the lake and the city on the horizon. I got downsized twice, and things are going great.

The rig I'm jumping is known for harsh right turns on opening. I was warned by a few other fresh jumpers prior to my first jump on this rig so I was prepped and ready for immediate correction if need be. I did two jumps on Friday with this rig, slight right turn but nothing major on open, landed great, and the upcoming weekend was looking to be amazing.

Wake up early Saturday, get manifested, dirt dive our four way, let the guys know my canopy is known for harsh right turns on open, so after break I'll pull a little later to be below everyone else in case shit hits the fan. 4 way goes to shit but was still hilarious fun, pull at around 3,200, into a super hard right turn and it starts spinning me into line twists. I immediately grab my risers and start to pull and kick trying to get out of them, but they just kept twisting. I fought for a while, felt like forever. I kept pulling and kicking, and I glanced down to take note of my surroundings, and I'm spinning quickly towards the ground. At this point I pull my cutaway and reserve.

Thankfully the reserve opens with no drama, and I was able to land on a beautiful white canopy. We found the main in a tree a few hours later, and the freebag and reserve pilot chute were delivered by a good samaritan the next morning.

The rush of what happened didnt really hit me until I had my reserve all gathered and was walking back to the club house. Luckily I was cleared to jump again, and made a beautiful, uneventful two way with a good buddy of mine.

It was the sweetest case of beer I've had to buy so far.

Nice to have that first reserve ride out of the way, isn't it? ;)

Do you remember your altitude after the reserve opened. I've ridden a spinner or two and knew it was time to go by watching the ground, but sometimes people lose track of time and altitude in those situations. Do be careful and always concentrate on "how much altitude do I have left?"

DJL

Psst.... minimum opening altitudes

Don't jump that shitty ass gear any more and if there's an issue with your gear you open HIGHER, not lower.

Nice job saving your own ass.

I opened above the 3k USPA guideline. It was my thought process to open lower in case I did turn hard right I wouldnt be turning into other people, and they agreed.

JohnMitchell

Nice to have that first reserve ride out of the way, isn't it? ;)

Do you remember your altitude after the reserve opened. I've ridden a spinner or two and knew it was time to go by watching the ground, but sometimes people lose track of time and altitude in those situations. Do be careful and always concentrate on "how much altitude do I have left?"

Unfortunately I do not remember exactly what altitude I was fully under the reserve. By the time everything settled I was above the runway and felt I needed to take evasive maneuvers to get away from a potential aircraft strike situation. I do remember trying to look right before I cut away, but I thought it was more prudent at that point to get something controllable above my head than to struggle to determine my exact altitude.

It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be, but it was still quite the experience.

I opened above the 3k USPA guideline. It was my thought process to open lower in case I did turn hard right I wouldnt be turning into other people, and they agreed.

You said you pulled at 3200ft. So you would not have been open above 3k.

Anyway, the people you jumped with were wrong. You should adjust higher, not lower. They should have adjusted breakaway to allow a higher opening for you, you don't tell new jumpers to go lower for any reason. You especially don't adjust to a lower altitude because of a known issue with gear.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You said you pulled at 3200ft. So you would not have been open above 3k.

In DKW's defense, 3k is pack opening altitude, not fully open canopy altitude.

That being said, going low for safety is usually a very, very bad idea. Jumping gear with a known issue is also a very, very bad idea.

DKW did the right thing when presented with his malfunction, which he should be proud of, but he also should be a little embarrassed that he got himself into that position in the first place.

As the old saying goes, superior pilots use their superior judgement to avoid needing their superior skill to stay alive.

- Dan G

Ah yes, I had always taken that to be canopy opening altitude not "container opening altitude". Thanks.

Congrats on dealing with your first. i was in a similar boat having a cutaway early on at jump 24.

Question - How come such quick downsizing so early on? I'm hanging on up until around 100 jumps before i consider doing so, but i am wing loading at bang on 1 on a 230 at the moment.

London86

Congrats on dealing with your first. i was in a similar boat having a cutaway early on at jump 24.

Question - How come such quick downsizing so early on? I'm hanging on up until around 100 jumps before i consider doing so, but i am wing loading at bang on 1 on a 230 at the moment.

Its a combo of a couple of things. First my coaches have been watching my canopy skills, and feel that I'm ready for each down size, and I keep pushing (learning and practicing as much as possible) to get downsized because the transition gear at my DZ in my size are a hot commodity. If my coaches and I feel safe at a size that is something that can be "mine" for the weekend, I'd rather do that then possibly get bumped from loads because my rig is already in the air on someone elses back.

DJL

Ah yes, I had always taken that to be canopy opening altitude not "container opening altitude". Thanks.

In the link you posted it clearly states container opening altitude:

H. Minimum Opening Altitudes
Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps—4,500 feet AGL [E]

2. All students and A-license holders—3,000 feet AGL [E]

3. B-license holders—2,500 feet AGL [E]

4. C- and D-license holders—2,500 feet AGL(waiverable to a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet AGL)

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

In the link you posted it clearly states container opening altitude:

H. Minimum Opening Altitudes
Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps—4,500 feet AGL [E]

2. All students and A-license holders—3,000 feet AGL [E]

3. B-license holders—2,500 feet AGL [E]

4. C- and D-license holders—2,500 feet AGL(waiverable to a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet AGL)

;)

Yes, thus why I thanked him for pointing that out.

Phillbo

Why not have the gear fixed so it stops snapping into a twist on opening?

Bullshit, just lower the opening altitude and open so you turn straight onto final.

DeltaKiloWhisky

***Congrats on dealing with your first. i was in a similar boat having a cutaway early on at jump 24.

Its a combo of a couple of things. First my coaches have been watching my canopy skills, and feel that I'm ready for each down size, and I keep pushing (learning and practicing as much as possible) to get downsized because the transition gear at my DZ in my size are a hot commodity. If my coaches and I feel safe at a size that is something that can be "mine" for the weekend, I'd rather do that then possibly get bumped from loads because my rig is already in the air on someone elses back.

Not a great reason to downsize IMO, don't rush things. At least 100 jumps @ a 1 loading is a good idea, i did about 300 and loved every one of them