winsor

There is a Santa Claus

This article was hard to read.

When my son at the age of three asked if there was a Santa Claus, I told him there was a person named Nicholas who was known for his benevolence, and that we commemorate his memory with traditions in his honor.

I think the guy who got this assignment is a study in decency, and understand how devastating this experience must have been.

One of the reasons I am not on a volunteer ambulance squad is because one is guaranteed to come across scenes that will remain etched in one's memory for life, and I'm not up for it. I have known very tough men and women that were destroyed by one horrific accident or another, and I no longer kid myself about how tough I am.

Helping a 5 year old die is more than I could handle.

BSBD,

Winsor

Thanks for posting that. I saw a link on FB, but there's too much crap linked on FB, so I never go to them. I'm glad I saw it; now I'm crying.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This man realized his higher calling. Had no idea what he was walking into and no idea what to say when he got there. He was simply a carrier for a Much bigger message. That call didn't just happen. He didn't just make it in time. That was part of his job and he stepped up. Brutal situation? No doubt. Is what he did in each 1 of us? I believe so. I don't know if or when my calling will happen. None of us do. We can only prepare and be ready when it does. May I be so lucky as this kind being.

Update.

The original story has video of the Santa's narrative, and it is pretty convincing.

Since they gave the location of the guy's work, and said that he was at the ICU in 15 minutes, that really whittles down the number of possible hospitals (one).

A search of obituaries in that area over the claimed time period yielded crickets, so that part doesn't ring true, nor does his running away afterwards. However, much of the rest is plausible.

The claim that a kid can't be lucid one moment and dead the next is false. My sister called her husband when her condition went to hell, he made it there, and she died in mid-sentence.

In any event, there is nothing quite as crushing as being helpless to save a little kid. An American who returned from serving as a Medic in Aleppo reported being particularly haunted by the kids who made it to the aid station for whom there was no hope.

Don't get me wrong, I am trained in emergency services and will grab my first aid kit and fire extinguisher and run to the site of an accident if I am there before first responders arrive, but there is no way in hell I could handle working in a pediatric ICU.

Regardless of quite how much of the story is accurate, it is not one that evokes my fundamental cynicism.

BSBD,

Winsor

Oh my gosh... A beautiful thing but hard/upsetting to read. Thank you for posting - real or not.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss