sundevil777

Please help w/spot cleaning fabric-electronics cleaner?

I have a stain on my SO's very expensive, nearly new couch (some black streak, no idea what it is or how it got there).

My memory from decades ago when I worked among electronics techs tells me that perhaps freon type electronics cleaners might be useful.

What do you think? What are the latest/greatest/or old school still effective remedies? I realize that it would help a bunch to know what the stain is but I can't help there. I can of course test different possibilities in an area where it won't matter.

Thank you
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Type of fabic is also very relevant. Chemical guys among other auto detail companies make very good products. Heat (or even better steam) works well for some fabrics on some stains. But beware that some protien based stains will not be friendly with heat and could become permanent. Think hard on what it could be. But what type of fabric is it?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Obviously, whatever you use should be tested on the fabric in an inconspicuous area. But, referring to the electronics cleaner ...I think the old cleaners used carbon tetrachloride. Carbon tet was also widely used in the cleaning industry until it was discovered to be quite toxic. I don't think the new electronics cleaners work as well.

BartsDaddy

Trichlorethane 111 would probably work well. But don't go huffing it if you could even find it anymore. It was called heart attack in a can for a reason. But it was a great cleaner.

Are you serious? Or just showing off you know wat it was? This is why internet forums are dangerous. Trichlorethane could eat polycarbonate. Suggesting this powerful solvent on an unknown fabric? Wth?

This is an expensive furnishing. Lets try something else!
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

it use to get the stains out of my uniform nicely.
You come ask for help, give no info on what the fabric is or what the stain is. Then want to get offended because someone suggest a strong cleaner.
I would try soap and water then, should be gentle enough.:P:S

Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

it use to get the stains out of my uniform nicely.
You come ask for help, give no info on what the fabric is or what the stain is. Then want to get offended because someone suggest a strong cleaner.
I would try soap and water then, should be gentle enough.:P:S

I didnt ask for help. I have a huge Rubbermaid container full of cleaning supplies. From apc to strong solvents. I am good at what I do with them. And if his couch is made out of your uniform maybe, but only maybe it was a good suggestion. As they have substitute that are not the real thing despite how labled. Go buy some TSP in wisconsin. Thing there is really any P in it? I ony use your uniform cleaner for gun barrels