councilman24

Anybody else annoyed

skycatcher68

Why do pilot feel the need to say "requesting flight following to kilo oscar Sierra hotel"? This may just be a pet peeve of mine but it is really annoying and hard to figure out what airport you are talking about. Do any other controllers find this annoying? You can pretty much guarantee that if you start with a " K" that I will be asking you the airport ID again. Now if you are headed out of the U.S. then I understand.

So in other words, controllers are annoyed at US pilots that say the full ICAO airport identifier, in this case KOSH, instead of using the FAA identifier OSH for Wittman Field, Oshkosh, WI.

For years we got by with just 3 letter identifiers in our country. Then the FAA had a big push to mesh with and copy ICAO, so our weather formats, identifiers, and a few other things had some big changes. . . >> No more "W0X0F" weather. [:/]

I want to go one step further, from the controller's viewpoint of the useless "K" at the beginning of the airport identifier. Just say the name of the airport. 99.5% of the time we know the indentifier already (we took a big test and everything :)

BTW, would you send me that link to the controller chat board? OMG, a whole new group of people to annoy online. B|

Russell_Jones

Most computers think of k,M,G,T as 2^10,2^20,2^30,2^40
Disk manufacturers like to quote disk sizes in powers of ten though.

By the time you are looking at a terabyte of storage you're being oversold by nearly 10% compared to what your PC reports when you plug the disk in.

Apple started using the SI decimal prefixes correctly in 2009 with the release of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

John, I assume you are already following the guys over at ATCMemes on Facebook? I was laughing me ass off watching the Midway tower and Tracon going at it last week over the poor handoffs between the two.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com