Phil1111

Pilots like to Drink

Airports can get boring after a while and pilots like to drink. But three times the "legal" limit of .08 at two hours after the arrest?

"Calgary police have charged a pilot after he allegedly passed out from intoxication in the cockpit of a plane with 99 passengers and six crew members.

The flight was scheduled to make stops in Regina and Winnipeg before continuing on to Cancun, Mexico.

According to police, the pilot boarded a Sunwing Airlines 737-800 series aircraft in Calgary shortly before 7 a.m. on Dec. 31."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/impaired-pilot-sunwings-airlines-arrest-1.3917757

Transport Canada defines the "legal" limits differently than .08 BAC.

Phil1111

Transport Canada defines the "legal" limits differently than .08 BAC.

It's probably similar to the FAA which is .04

I'm sure they'll get him on the "bottle to throttle" rule.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The 8 hour "bottle to throttle" and the BAC <= .04 is typically for General Aviation. Most companies that fly passengers have much stricter rules in their Ops Manuals. Typically, it is no drinking within 12 hours of show-up time (which can be 1 or two hours before departure time) and no measurable BAC.

BIGUN

Yeah, but then how does he fly the plane upside down ;)

You know, I was thinking exactly that, when I saw the thread first. Forgot the name of the movie but Denzel Washington played the part of the airline pilot with a horrible drinking problem.

Good stuff, even if the depiction of that crash landing was just way the fuck out there. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

irishrigger

The worst part to me for seeing these things is that it likely wasn't the first time they have flown while under the influence, it's just that this time they pushed it and got caught.

I also find it interesting that in many airline interviews there's the question:
"Your captain arrives and smells of alcohol or appears (s)he may be under the influence, what do you do as a junior first officer?"

[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

The worst part to me for seeing these things is that it likely wasn't the first time they have flown while under the influence, it's just that this time they pushed it and got caught.

I also find it interesting that in many airline interviews there's the question:
"Your captain arrives and smells of alcohol or appears (s)he may be under the influence, what do you do as a junior first officer?"

[:/]

"There are two FAR’s that are important to know when it comes to drinking and flying. Most pilots are aware of the “8 hour” rule, that is, 8 hours from bottle to throttle, although many airlines have a more stringent 12 hour time limit. Most pilots do not know of the 0.04% FAR, which prohibits flying an aircraft with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04% or higher."
http://www.airspacedoc.com/alcohol-the-pilot-and-the-faa/

Those questions are no different from the "have you ever broken a FAR?, What would you do if the Captain was breaking a FAR?

What is most surprising about this is how drunk that pilot was. The reports have indicated a BAC of .28 at about the time he was arrested. Presumably he slept before the flight. That means close to a full 26 ounces of hard liquor were likely consumed by him.
http://www.selfcounseling.com/help/alcohol/hourstozerobac.html

oldwomanc6

Add this reason to the multitude (piling up daily) that I hate flying commercially.

I remember the days, pre 9/11, show your ticket and pick your seat. Baggage! no limits. Decent meal-free! Drinks, well the passengers did all the drinking and they were all free.