SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld in Orlando, Florida, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Department told CNN.

The spokesman, John Mulhall, said the trainer was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident did not occur during a performance, said a spokeswoman for SeaWorld, who added that more information was to be released soon.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

This whale killed its trainer in 91' then in 97-98' killed a homeless man and killer his trainer today. At least this is what was just said on the local news.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

This whale killed its trainer in 91' then in 97-98' killed a homeless man and killer his trainer today. At least this is what was just said on the local news.

The last one that happened here in Dago, was simply an accident though, the trainer was in the wrong place, and crushed when the whale landed!

Was that with this whale or a different one?

Different Whale, that one is still here at sea world San Diego!

But will be appearing soon at a sushi restaurant near you!

mmmmm cant wait!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that whales in captivity...their dorsal fins flap over to the side rather than straight up (indicating to me that being held in captivity has somehow broken their will) and perhaps this whale had been in jail long enough and was ready to take that prison guard out to get free.

(indicating to me that being held in captivity has somehow broken their will)

Their "will" has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with them being in captivity and swimming the same pattern in the enclosure.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In general, I am against animal captivity for entertainment purposes. I think people that do that deserve what they get. Yeah, I know they love the animals, yadda yadda. I just think it's wrong.

But I'll say this - Orca is one of the few things I will never plan to scuba dive with. I was on a boat in New Zealand watching two of them tear apart a grey shark from only an arm's length away. They were incredibly vicious. I do not think they are dumb animals, in fact, they may be the smartest animal that lives naturally in the ocean, and they deserve our respect (not cages). Supposedly, they are playful and curious with scuba divers that do dive with them. But just seeing that other side of them makes me never want to get in the water with one.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

A friend of mine works at Seaworld and he was actually at work when it happened. Of course the news is changing things up a bit to make it sound less horrible. From what he remembers (everything happened very quickly and began to blur together), it was during a show, the trainer came to the stage to announce that the animal had started to misbehave. Tilikum, the whale, has his own little record and the trainers no longer got in the pool to train with him. Instead, they did "dryland" exercises with him in which they asked him to perform such behaviors from the outside of the pool. As the trainer was explaining that he was misbehaving and they would try to get him to cooperate, he jumped out of the water, grabbed her by the waist and flung her around. Eventually he pinned her to the bottom of the tank. Shamu Stadium employees IMMEDIATELY started to evacuate the stadium. The trainer was pronounced dead at the scene. It's very unfortunate, but, that's something that comes with the job title. We all make our decisions and realize the perks and disadvantages. Half of the park has been shut down and will remain closed for probably tomorrow. People who go to the park will receive their tickets at a great discount because of this. I think that's all. [:/]

Sushi sounds good though.

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

In general, I am against animal captivity for entertainment purposes. I think people that do that deserve what they get. Yeah, I know they love the animals, yadda yadda. I just think it's wrong.

But I'll say this - Orca is one of the few things I will never plan to scuba dive with. I was on a boat in New Zealand watching two of them tear apart a grey shark from only an arm's length away. They were incredibly vicious. I do not think they are dumb animals, in fact, they may be the smartest animal that lives naturally in the ocean, and they deserve our respect (not cages). Supposedly, they are playful and curious with scuba divers that do dive with them. But just seeing that other side of them makes me never want to get in the water with one.

Been there done that out on the Striaghts at Salt Creek.... I just felt this presence and looked over to my right... and there was this HUGE eye looking at me... HE (yes.. REALLLLY BIG dorsal) was just hovering there... looking at me. When you look in that big eye, you KNOW someone is home in there. He was curious... and never came closer than 5' in the 25' visibility. He watched me for about 45 seconds and then just moved silently away. I heard nothing... although there are times out there you can hear them off in the distance when you are in the water.

A friend of mine works at Seaworld and he was actually at work when it happened. Of course the news is changing things up a bit to make it sound less horrible. From what he remembers (everything happened very quickly and began to blur together), it was during a show, the trainer came to the stage to announce that the animal had started to misbehave. Tilikum, the whale, has his own little record and the trainers no longer got in the pool to train with him. Instead, they did "dryland" exercises with him in which they asked him to perform such behaviors from the outside of the pool. As the trainer was explaining that he was misbehaving and they would try to get him to cooperate, he jumped out of the water, grabbed her by the waist and flung her around. Eventually he pinned her to the bottom of the tank. Shamu Stadium employees IMMEDIATELY started to evacuate the stadium. The trainer was pronounced dead at the scene. It's very unfortunate, but, that's something that comes with the job title. We all make our decisions and realize the perks and disadvantages. Half of the park has been shut down and will remain closed for probably tomorrow. People who go to the park will receive their tickets at a great discount because of this. I think that's all. [:/]

Thank you for a real post.
Those of you.. well you know. >:(
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

Thank you for a real post.
Those of you.. well you know. >:(

I am a very firm believer that all of the captive Orcas...and porpoise should be released...period.

If you ever come up to visit.. I will take you out and introduce you to some.... in their home... where they belong[:/]

A bit more news info that agrees with what you've stated here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35566392/

I'll copy a few paragraphs of the 2 page article, in case it disappears. Much more is stated than what I've copied.

ORLANDO - A SeaWorld killer whale seized a trainer in its jaws Wednesday and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

Distraught audience members were hustled out of the stadium immediately, and the park was closed.

Trainer Dawn Brancheau, 40, was one of the park's most experienced. It was not clear if she drowned or died from the thrashing.

A SeaWorld spokesman said Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing trainer Keltie Byrne in 1991 after the woman lost her balance and fell in the pool at Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria, British Columbia.

The orcas "weren't trying to kill Byrne, but Tillikum and his orca companions didn't know that humans can't hold their breath as long as whales," Humane Society scientist Naomi Rose said in a report on the group's Web site.

Tillikum was later shipped to SeaWorld Orlando, the Humane Society noted, and in 1999, "a man who had apparently stayed in the park after closing hours jumped into Tillikum's tank ... He was found dead the next morning, naked and draped across the whale. The man's swim trunks were found in the water, and his body was scraped up, a sign that Tillikum had dragged him around the bottom and sides of the tank."

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have to admit, I've enjoyed the shows at Sea World but this whale really seems like he doesn't want to be there. :| Anyone know if he could survive if they would just release him? I remember "Free Willy", but does that happen in real life?

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon