billvon

Multidrug resistant CRE leads to death in Nevada

I've been harping on the overuse of antibiotics for a long time. Doctors regularly overprescribe antibiotics for colds and tend to use a "shotgun" approach to fighting more serious infections. But honestly that's a small part of the problem - a much bigger problem is the use of tons of antibiotics to get cattle to grow faster, because those antibiotics end up everywhere. In our food, in our water, in our soil. And bacteria living in those environments evolve resistance to those antibiotics, which means we have to use more powerful ones regularly, so bacteria adapt to THOSE - and so on.

Now for the first time a US woman has died of a bacterial infection (carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae) that is immune to every known antibiotic. That bacteria is out there now; expect to see more deaths from it. I hope that this will make people think more carefully about the overuse of antibiotics in the US.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/12/nevada-woman-superbug-resistant

>If a drug resistant bacteria becomes easily transmittable it could result in millions of deaths....

Keep in mind that bacteria regularly exchange genetic material, including material that confers resistance. So this bug may well confer resistance to other bacteria it comes in contact with.

She had been travelling in India.

If you think antibiotics are over prescribed and misused here, it pales in comparison to Asian. In India and other places in Asia antibiotics are over the counter.

When I was in Nepal I bought Ciprofloxacin to have in my pack for in case I caught a bad case of travelers diarrhea, it was like buying a pack of smokes. :S

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

She had been travelling in India.

If you think antibiotics are over prescribed and misused here, it pales in comparison to Asian. In India and other places in Asia antibiotics are over the counter.

When I was in Nepal I bought Ciprofloxacin to have in my pack for in case I caught a bad case of travelers diarrhea, it was like buying a pack of smokes. :S

Do you trust the authenticity of the drugs in a location like that?

I am sure there are some counterfeits, and potential quality issues, but they are selling in sealed blister packs from Indian manufacturers.

Given the price point it doesn't really seem like a worthwhile product to counterfeit. I forget, but I think it cost me 1.50 USD for a whole weeks course.

I didn't get sick on my two week trip, so I can't say for sure. But when I did research there wasn't much concern raised about it.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Phillbo

No better place than Vegas to spread it as well. I was there over Christmas and it has become flooded with Chinese tourist and half of them were wearing those surgical mask.

Article states the woman lives in Washoe County which includes Reno and other parts of Northern Nevada. She went into the hospital in Reno. Vegas is a 7 hour + trip by car from Reno.
I was put on this earth to do one thing. Luckily I forgot what it was so I do whatever I want.