wmw999

Sledding as cardio

We're having a snowstorm here, so I walked to the local sledding hill. There's my track. All I have is a camping sleeping mat (the store was out of sleds >:(), so there's some effort to get started.

But there it is -- my very own rut! I was alone for awhile; it was most fun when the dog someone brought was helping :D.

Next, I'll buy a real sled. Any recommendations for the best sled for adults?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

gowlerk

They make foam core hard plastic outside sleds that work great and weigh next to nothing. My wife swears by them.

A squandered opportunity to enlighten. I am so disappointed in you Ken! >:(

The toboggan is a traditional form of transport used by the Innu and Cree of northern Canada.

;)

aphid

***They make foam core hard plastic outside sleds that work great and weigh next to nothing. My wife swears by them.

A squandered opportunity to enlighten. I am so disappointed in you Ken! >:(

The toboggan is a traditional form of transport used by the Innu and Cree of northern Canada.

;)

With America in the midst of turmoil and struggling to accept anything from outside of the heartland I thought it best not to correct Wendy on the "Sled" word!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

thought it best not to correct Wendy

Damn skippy! Never mess with Wendy's assumptions :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, the inflatable tubes are pretty cool. You can go down a snow covered hill or get towed behind a boat.

Personally, though, I'd recommend a "traditional" toboggan.
A while back (like 20+ years), we used to spend breaks at work combing through the local "ad paper" and commenting on interesting stuff being advertised. One of my all-time favorites was when a local quarry was looking for someone with an explosives license.

Came across a toboggan for something like $20. Old school, wood. 8 foot long, 2 foot wide. No brakes, no steering, no seat belts. Straight out of "Calvin & Hobbes." It was in decent shape, so I got it.

It comfortably carries two adults and two kids. The more on it, the faster it goes. I won't use it on any hill that has any obstacles. But it's an absolute hoot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

gowlerk

When we were young and really stupid (17 to 19 yo or so) we used to tow those behind cars on ice covered gravel roads. Somehow everyone lived.

In my late teens, 3 of my friends were doing that one night. As the car took a hard turn, the sled accelerated sideways, slamming the guy into a log, breaking the log. They had to rush him into the nearest emergency department for surgery on his ruptured spleen.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***When we were young and really stupid (17 to 19 yo or so) we used to tow those behind cars on ice covered gravel roads. Somehow everyone lived.

In my late teens, 3 of my friends were doing that one night. As the car took a hard turn, the sled accelerated sideways, slamming the guy into a log, breaking the log. They had to rush him into the nearest emergency department for surgery on his ruptured spleen.[:/]

That was the best part. The road we used had a series of 90 degree turns in it. The driver had to slow down to make the turn, but depending on the length of the rope the toboggan would hit the ditch and whip through the turn. Sometimes you had to bail to miss a tree. We worked hard tuning up the system. And we broke several toboggans, but no people.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Growing up in Huntsville, AL we had our share of snowstorms, even a couple ice storms. Living on the foot of a mountain, there were no shortage of hills and slopes to sled down. We had a couple old school sleds in the basement, they had to be at least 20 years old then, and this was back in the late 70's to mid 80's. So many great memories and scaring the ever living fuck out of myself going down Suicide Hill, which was basically the steepest motherfucking street in the neigborhood. So steep it was concrete with ridges built into it to force cars to go down slowly. I destroyed one of the sleds caroming off a tree. Thankfully I wasn't hurt but damn did my leg take a wallop. Nice bruise.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We have no hills to speak of here. Truly flatlanders. Our best toboggan hills are old garbage dumps because mountains of trash are our only hills. That's why we resorted to the tow rope.

gowlerk

We have no hills to speak of here. Truly flatlanders. Our best toboggan hills are old garbage dumps because mountains of trash are our only hills. That's why we resorted to the tow rope.

https://milsap.wordpress.com/regions/southeast-lower-peninsula-areas/downriver/riverview-highlands-riverview-mi/:D

I drove by it once many years ago, but never skied there.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Decomposition heat may be an issue in MI. But in MB it's plenty cold enough to overcome it. We have an old garbage hill not far from the downtown inner city. It's actually mostly ash and glass left from an incinerator that closed in 1948. So maybe not so much decomposition going on. It's probably the highest point in the whole city.

ryoder

***We have no hills to speak of here. Truly flatlanders. Our best toboggan hills are old garbage dumps because mountains of trash are our only hills. That's why we resorted to the tow rope.

https://milsap.wordpress.com/regions/southeast-lower-peninsula-areas/downriver/riverview-highlands-riverview-mi/:D

I know of Mt. Trashmore. We used to go to Alpine Valley.

We had a 12' long toboggan when I was a kid. We had a lot of fun on that thing. There was a sledding hill in one of the apple orchards that we would go to.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

ryoder

***We have no hills to speak of here. Truly flatlanders. Our best toboggan hills are old garbage dumps because mountains of trash are our only hills. That's why we resorted to the tow rope.

I remember reading about that place when it opened! Mount Trashmore. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban