jedeisurf

CYPRES 12 YEAR CYCLE

Hi every one my cypres is about to reach it's 12 year cycle I don't have the funds for a new one. On my customers rigs I won't pack them if the batts are out of date or in need of factory service. Do you think that I should pull it out THIS IS MY PERSONAL RIG.Thanks for your input.
David

>Do you think that I should pull it out.

You should pull it out and get a new one if you wish to continue to have the protection afforded by a cypres. It won't explode after 13 years or anything, but its performance will no longer be guaranteed, and you will run a greater risk of failure/premature reserve deployments. But it's up to you (assuming you're a rigger of course.)

But it's up to you...

As long as you don't mind betting the pilot's ticket, too. FAR 105.43(c): "If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions."

Sort of like jumping with an out-of-date reserve.

Mark

But it's up to you...

As long as you don't mind betting the pilot's ticket, too. FAR 105.43(c): "If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions."

I have seen a lot of cards that dont specifically state the information on the Cypress. With the on comming 12 year end of life for lots of Cypress units I have wondered the same question and posted a poll. I dont say yeah or neah towards my feelings on this but it was interesting to see the responses from other people, riggers and non-riggers...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1195831;#1195831

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hi every one my cypres is about to reach it's 12 year cycle I don't have the funds for a new one. On my customers rigs I won't pack them if the batts are out of date or in need of factory service. Do you think that I should pull it out THIS IS MY PERSONAL RIG.Thanks for your input.
David

It is against the law to pack it....You risk any ticket the FAA gave you, and fines.

I personally am quite pissed at CYPRES for having a life time...The popular ad that was around when I bought mine said "It will be skydiving longer than you will".

I wish another AAD was an option....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You stated that you would; "...never take a chance on a customer's rig." Why, would you want to take a chance with your own rig as well as your life? We riggers, 'must' follow manufacturer's instructions. That applies to us, as well as the people we work for. Jumping with a Cypress, past it's 12-yr. life-span is not setting a good example to other jumpers, also. As was suggested, you might possibly find a used Cypres or, you might have to jump without one. Jeapordizing your 'ticket' as well as a jump pilot's ticket, is just plain wrong. We may not always like the rules but, if we want to 'play'... we have to follow the rules.

Chuck

There was a thread a while back about sending old gear out to Eastern Europe where there are jumpers who would eagerly make use of it - perfectly legaly by their countries regs and safer than what they have been using.

I guess there's no way of knowing if you increase or decrease your risk factor by jumping a 13 year old cypres... maybe we should write and ask them in a few years. They were keen to use them in any case.

You can find cypres's on e-bay with 2-4 years left for less than $200 to replace the one you donate.

Well I meant to donate as opposed to sell but that's a side point when it comes to the ethics of it.

Mostly the argument about the 12 year life span thing was answered by the fact that 12 years was picked as it was the life span of the cutter explosives. Change the cutter and that limitation is no longer there. None of us have information about the life span of the actual unit itself.

A lot of people on the thread I mention went through the same wrestling with their conscious as you. Would it be "right" to allow someone to take that risk? On one side it's the jumpers choice but you as the donor of the cypres are the facilitator of that choice and all which flows from it, good or bad. Each are to make their own mind up I guess.

A lot of the questions are removed when it comes to donating a 20 year old 5 cell reserve in an old container because in many cases it genuinely would be safer than what was currently being jumped... but the 12 year cypres thing introduces questions which none of us are really equiped to guage...

Again - a personal choice.

I personally am quite pissed at CYPRES for having a life time...The popular ad that was around when I bought mine said "It will be skydiving longer than you will".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most people only skydive for 3 or 4 years before moving on to some other expensive pass-time: second wife, scuba, house, children, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most people only skydive for 3 or 4 years before moving on to some other expensive pass-time: second wife, scuba, house, children, etc.

Yes, and to be honest I still have 4 years left on mine, so anything could happen...But I think the ad was misleading since they came up with the "Life span" later.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

To me, there is no question as to 'right' or 'wrong'. I didn't 'wrestle' anything. AirTec says that the life-span of the Cypres is 12yrs +3mos.... that's it! The entire unit, not just the cutter. No question. It's a 'dead' item. To me, 'donating' a 12yr. old Cypres is wrong.
The 'life-span' of Cypres was brought-up at the last Symposium. Mr. Cloth had some excellent information in regard to the matter. You might call AirTec or SSK Industries. I'm sure, they can be of help to you.

Chuck

Chuck

Well AirTec certainly won't be telling me it's safe to jump with - whether I'm eastern european or otherwise. It'll damage Cypres II sales and could open them up to lawsuits if they're wrong.

It's accademic to me as I still have a few years left and I have a plan to chuck a dummy out equiped with my cypres when it does die. If I weren't planning to do this my cypres would sit on a shelf, not in someone's rig - I don't want to facilitate that choice... but I acknowledge that others may be comfortable doing so.

As I said, it's a personal choice - you've made yours in line with AirTec policy and no one can argue you're anything but tecnically correct. Not everyone came up with the same answer however... even some who post here openly jump with an out of date cypres.