ryoder

Harrison Ford opens new runway at John Wayne Airport

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/harrison-ford-plane-incident-737-john-wayne-airport/

Apparently, he was cleared for 20L, but landed on the taxiway to the left of it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B040'32.4%22N+117%C2%B052'05.6%22W/@33.674522,-117.8723121,2242m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.6756667!4d-117.8682222
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

On one hand I can see how an unfamiliar pilot might think the taxiway is the left runway, due to the threshold of the right runway being 2500' beyond the left.

But on the other hand, the taxiway has none of the markings you expect to see on an active runway.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

On one hand I can see how an unfamiliar pilot might think the taxiway is the left runway, due to the threshold of the right runway being 2500' beyond the left.

But on the other hand, the taxiway has none of the markings you expect to see on an active runway.

I was a freelance flight instructor operating out of John Wayne for about 10 years although I will admit it has been more time than that since I have been.

I'm completely unclear how anyone could possibly make this mistake although it has happened more than once. The runways have standard runway markings and VASIs. The taxiways do not. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

You're looking at the wrong side of the runway. :P

He was cleared to land 20L, not 2R. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

quade

I'm completely unclear how anyone could possibly make this mistake although it has happened more than once. The runways have standard runway markings and VASIs. The taxiways do not. ;)

I don't see many Husky drivers that worry about "all them stinkin' lights"... :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

theonlyski

***On one hand I can see how an unfamiliar pilot might think the taxiway is the left runway, due to the threshold of the right runway being 2500' beyond the left.

You're looking at the wrong side of the runway. :P

He was cleared to land 20L, not 2R. ;)

Doh!:$

FWIW, here's a capture from Google Earth on approach to 20L or the taxiway to the left of it. I haven't tried to set any particular approach angle or anything; just eyeballed it.

In this screenshot, the runway markings relative to the taxiway are somewhat clear, although less so if one takes a view from further away. Still, 20L is definitely more prominent than the taxiway to the left of it. (I believe this is taxiway C that he landed on but haven't checked the web more.)

People do screw up at times, including getting fixated on stuff. Maybe he was overly focused on staying to the left, left, left.

We just don't have much information to go on so far. And I think avoiding the airliner was no big deal considering he was in a light & responsive aircraft. "Hmm, why is the airliner there.... seems an odd hold point... well I'll just land a bit long.... focus on the landing and sort it out later."

Check out how KPBI went about solving the issue with 10R and 10L. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palm+Beach+International+Airport+(PBI)/@26.6817103,-80.1056366,2261a,20y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d8d62b565f5441:0xdfe06cce855176be!8m2!3d26.6857475!4d-80.0928165

BillyVance

He was heard on air traffic control recordings asking "Was that airliner supposed to be under me?"

That's the part that gets me. The time to ask that question was when he was on approach, not after he landed. Then he would have had time to go around and make another pass.

And how does he miss that giant number "20" painted at the end of the runway, while the taxiway is blank.

I think he needs to buy a couple of clues...

JohnyCrawford

And how does he miss that giant number "20" painted at the end of the runway, while the taxiway is blank.

Maybe he thought the jet was covering the numbers? :D

If you fly the Millenium Falcon, you don´t care about "Taxiways" ..

Or maybe Chewie had distracted him because of a possible stormtrooper-attac? Those damm´ Boeings sometimes look like an AAL ...:S

See the pic as he was in contact with the ATC ....
"did you say 2L? I say: Don´t fool me. I know it´s a trap!!"
B|

--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Flew helos in and out of LAX a few times. You were dreaming if you thought they would let you land on a runway, or even a taxi way. They always cleared us to a ramp off the taxi way. Friend declared an emergency once, and they gave him the taxi way. Huge concession, apparently.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

pchapman

FWIW, here's a capture from Google Earth on approach to 20L or the taxiway to the left of it. I haven't tried to set any particular approach angle or anything; just eyeballed it.

In this screenshot, the runway markings relative to the taxiway are somewhat clear, although less so if one takes a view from further away. Still, 20L is definitely more prominent than the taxiway to the left of it. (I believe this is taxiway C that he landed on but haven't checked the web more.)

People do screw up at times, including getting fixated on stuff. Maybe he was overly focused on staying to the left, left, left.

We just don't have much information to go on so far. And I think avoiding the airliner was no big deal considering he was in a light & responsive aircraft. "Hmm, why is the airliner there.... seems an odd hold point... well I'll just land a bit long.... focus on the landing and sort it out later."

Someone PLEASE overlay the Millenium Falcoln cockpit over that picture:

https://milaviate.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/star-wars-episode-5_183.jpg?w=1200
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher