Nataly

lessons in treating people well...

Last year we recruited a new Admin Assistant after our previous assistant left the country (!)... We finally thought we had found the perfect recruit... She learned quickly, and fit in instantly with the team. We were delighted :)
About 2 or 3 weeks into the job, she announces that she was leaving us for a better-paid, full-time job. She apologised profusely and said she felt reaaaaaally bad,.. But I told her: great job opportunities don't come up so often - she'd have been crazy to pass it up. How could I possibly fault her for looking after her best interests? She thanked me for being so understanding. She went home that night feeling a bit better about it; I went home and cried. There was so much going on and this was such horrible timing and not to mention we'd spent time and energy training her, et cetera. But whatever - back to the drawing board... Shit happens.

About 1 week later she asked if she could speak to me in private. I took her into a meeting room and she burst into tears... The new place was horrible. The job was horrible, the other employees were horrible, the boss was horrible, the hours were horrible... Pleaaaaaaaaase could she stay with us??? I hugged her and said HELL YES!!!

Fast forward 1 year later, she is still with us. She loves it, and she is AMAZING. I am so glad we have her, and when one day I asked her why she stayed in the end she said: "you guys were so nice - I realised that was more important than anything else."

So there ya go... Even a (relatively) shitty job can become enjoyable with the right people!!! I've always believed that and have yet to be proven wrong :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I would not be here if the people were up tight ass holes. I deffenintly would not do the things that I do at the prices I'm charging them if they were dicks.

Bad news is that they are spoiled. They asked me about finding another rigger. We're getting to the point were we may need to think about expanding. I started looking around for some one that might have the necessary background. People I found wouldn't be able to do all the shit I do but could handle things out there on site. They just about had conniptions with sticker shock when they found out that it was going to be a hundred thousand dollar hire.

Lesson is this. If you've got a good job that your happy with, define that as you look forward to coming in every day, count your self lucky. If you have a good employ, count your self blessed. Those are two of the most valuable things in life. Hold on to them.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Zep

So another one learns that money isn't every thing
good for her.
I've left a few jobs where I earned loads but couldn's stand
the politics.
Now I'm my own boss and laughing every day.

Careful... First signs of insanity...! :D:ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss