brenthutch

Sous vide

AlanS

Only down-side is peeling the egg afterwards is a pain in the butt, compared to just scrambling the eggs.
(I just need a better way to peel the egg shells).

Add about 1/8 tsp of baking powder in the water. Makes the egg shells slide right off the cooked eggs.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

*** Only down-side is peeling the egg afterwards is a pain in the butt, compared to just scrambling the eggs.

Add about 1/8 tsp of baking powder in the water. Makes the egg shells slide right off the cooked eggs.

Thanks for that tip! B|

Also, speaking of baking powder, it also makes the skin on chicken pieces crispy in a gluten-free way, even if you bake them in the oven on a drip-rack.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

TriGirl

*** Only down-side is peeling the egg afterwards is a pain in the butt, compared to just scrambling the eggs.

Your right this works!! Amazing.

Well you can now add shrimp to things that I've cooked with this. Shrimp and eggs are now the best things done with sous vide.

The marinate just goes right into the shrimp, I added just a little bit of baking soda to the marinate which did wonders for the result.

I'm working my way up to that lobster recipe.

brenthutch

Update:

Ribs were perfectly done and super moist but no more then when prepared properly on the smoker and they lacked the bark and flavor of smoked ribs.

Did you smoke them first and then finish in sous vide? I typically smoke and the then finish in an oven but want to try finishing sous vide.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Update:

Ribs were perfectly done and super moist but no more then when prepared properly on the smoker and they lacked the bark and flavor of smoked ribs.

Did you smoke them first and then finish in sous vide? I typically smoke and the then finish in an oven but want to try finishing sous vide.

No I just sous vide.

I do the same with my ribs as well. Three hours on smoke, wrap them and back in the smoker or oven for the last two hours.

I have seen smoke then sous vide and SV then smoke online, let me know how you make out.

brenthutch

No I just sous vide.

I do the same with my ribs as well. Three hours on smoke, wrap them and back in the smoker or oven for the last two hours.

I have seen smoke then sous vide and SV then smoke online, let me know how you make out.

According to this link liquid smoke is chemically the same as putting it in a smoker. I'll quote the relevant text from the article, but leave the link for those that wants to read it in context.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

LIQUID SMOKE IS REAL SMOKE!
Now we get to the real question: How do you get smoky flavor into ribs without actual smoke? Some sous vide recipes use a hybrid method, either starting or finishing the ribs in the smoker to add real smoke flavor to them. To me, this seems to miss the point. If I'm willing to fire up the smoker, then there are any number of traditional recipes out there that don't necessarily require sous vide for great results. I want a method that allows me to cook the ribs indoors from start to finish, no actual fire necessary.

Liquid smoke gets a bum rap, but it shouldn't. The good brands, such as Wright's or Colgin, are quite literally nothing more than smoke and water in a bottle. To make it, manufacturers burn hardwood—just like you would in your smoker—then run the moist smoke through a condenser, where water vapor condenses and traps the smoky constituents—just like how water vapor condenses and deposits smoke flavor on the surface of meat. This water drips down and is collected and packed into bottles.

According to gas chromatograms from flavor and fragrance experts Leffingwell & Associates, the vast majority of compounds that lend smoke its unique aroma—smoky phenols derived from burnt wood lignin, and burnt caramel–scented cyclopentenolones from cellulose—make their way into those liquid smoke bottles as well. In taste tests I've held, most folks cannot tell the difference between truly smoked meats and those treated with judiciously applied liquid smoke.

To get a smoke flavor that penetrates the meat but doesn't overwhelm it, I like to add liquid smoke directly to the sous vide bag just before sealing it. The good part is that you don't have to worry about distributing it evenly. Just shake a few drops in and seal the bag, and as the meat cooks, the juices it releases will distribute the liquid smoke flavor naturally.