shortyj

Prison penpals?

Ok crazy question does anything likethis exist? My sister is currently in prison and she is lonely she asked if I knew anyone who could write her. I told her I would look into it.

Thanks guys any help would be greatly welcomed.

Anyone here feel free to write her about anything if your heart wishes.

Indiana dept. of correction
811 W. 50 N.
Rockville, IN. 47872

Laura Jones
183822 4R Q14
Playtime is essential.

shortyj

Drugs :( Been in and out since 15yrs. now 34 sucks big time. I hate what it does to people.

Hate to hear that. How did she get started in the first place? Didn't get along with the parents? Fell in with the wrong crowd? [:/]

Hope this is it for her. When she gets out, stay on the narrow and straight.

But to answer your question, yes. There are pen pals between prisoners and people on the outside.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It is a shame and a waste that we lock up addicts in this country. They need treatment not punishment. Our war on drugs destroys lives and costs untold sums of money.

Has your sister looked into any educational correspondent courses? Maybe she can take this time to better herself for when she gets out.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

BillyVance

***Drugs :( Been in and out since 15yrs. now 34 sucks big time. I hate what it does to people.

Hate to hear that. How did she get started in the first place? Didn't get along with the parents? Fell in with the wrong crowd? [:/]

Hope this is it for her. When she gets out, stay on the narrow and straight.

But to answer your question, yes. There are pen pals between prisoners and people on the outside.

Yes got in with the wrong crowd. I hope this is it too, but she has to want it and so far it's been in, out, in, out. I have tried to help but I can only offer so much.
Playtime is essential.

DougH

It is a shame and a waste that we lock up addicts in this country. They need treatment not punishment. Our war on drugs destroys lives and costs untold sums of money.

Has your sister looked into any educational correspondent courses? Maybe she can take this time to better herself for when she gets out.

I couldn't agree more. I think they do offer some education. It is terrible that our prison system is for profit, fill the beds ugh.
Playtime is essential.

DougH

Exactly. The ones that need to be locked up are drug makers. The addicts are just victims fell for a momentarily pleasure, and they need positive support from all sides to get through this crisis instead of being placed behind bars in solitary confinement to think about "what they have done wrong.":S I just wrote a letter for her by the way. Going to mail it out by Friday night. Don't know if I should put some Hershey's bars in the mail or would they be confiscated upon arrival?

Good luck to your family, speed healing. :)

Icemann

***It is a shame and a waste that we lock up addicts in this country. They need treatment not punishment. Our war on drugs destroys lives and costs untold sums of money.

Exactly. The ones that need to be locked up are drug makers. The addicts are just victims fell for a momentarily pleasure, and they need positive support from all sides to get through this crisis instead of being placed behind bars in solitary confinement to think about "what they have done wrong.":S I just wrote a letter for her by the way. Going to mail it out by Friday night. Don't know if I should put some Hershey's bars in the mail or would they be confiscated upon arrival?

I'm pretty sure prisons screen all incoming/outgoing mail, including what's written/typed.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's actually very common for prisoners to have pin palls. As odd as this might sound is'a actually a thing. There is like a fetish for this. They actually have dating web sites for prison inmates were people can contact them. People that are that isolated are very vulnerable. People pray on them and vice versa. This is at least a relatively safe place to try and find her some one to correspond with. Most people in that situation face depression issues. Any type of contact from out side her situation will most likely be very welcome. Positive reinforcement that there is still a real and healthy world out side of the one that she is locked in will be valuable to her. Contact with healthy well adjusted people in positive situations can be one of the best things for people whose lives have gone off course. If you are surrounded by criminals, addicts, and the mentally ill then you tend to get caught up in their world where it's normal to steal, lie, assault, use, etc. This more then any thing else is the failing of the prison, mental health systems. If you house them all together, which is very convenient, think warehouse, then you're just going to reinforce every thing that got them there. If we were really serious about these problems we would try to intervene earlier by placing them in better more integrated environments. But nobody really wants to do that. No one wants to hire a worker with a criminal back ground or have them living in our communities. Not to mention to profit motivations.

Bottom line is your sister is going to have a really steep up hill climb ahead of her before she can get her life back together. Any type of positive reinforcement will help. But be careful with who she winds up in contact with. If she declares that she's in love with one of them and they are engaged to be married you'll know she's in trouble.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Icemann

***It is a shame and a waste that we lock up addicts in this country. They need treatment not punishment. Our war on drugs destroys lives and costs untold sums of money.

Thanks so much Iceman ;) She will love it.
Playtime is essential.

Icemann

Oh and pretty sure they will eat the hersey bar :ph34r:
Playtime is essential.

RiggerLee

It's actually very common for prisoners to have pin palls. As odd as this might sound is'a actually a thing. There is like a fetish for this. They actually have dating web sites for prison inmates were people can contact them. People that are that isolated are very vulnerable. People pray on them and vice versa. This is at least a relatively safe place to try and find her some one to correspond with. Most people in that situation face depression issues. Any type of contact from out side her situation will most likely be very welcome. Positive reinforcement that there is still a real and healthy world out side of the one that she is locked in will be valuable to her. Contact with healthy well adjusted people in positive situations can be one of the best things for people whose lives have gone off course. If you are surrounded by criminals, addicts, and the mentally ill then you tend to get caught up in their world where it's normal to steal, lie, assault, use, etc. This more then any thing else is the failing of the prison, mental health systems. If you house them all together, which is very convenient, think warehouse, then you're just going to reinforce every thing that got them there. If we were really serious about these problems we would try to intervene earlier by placing them in better more integrated environments. But nobody really wants to do that. No one wants to hire a worker with a criminal back ground or have them living in our communities. Not to mention to profit motivations.

Bottom line is your sister is going to have a really steep up hill climb ahead of her before she can get her life back together. Any type of positive reinforcement will help. But be careful with who she winds up in contact with. If she declares that she's in love with one of them and they are engaged to be married you'll know she's in trouble.

Lee

Well I don't think she needs a love interest for sure right now. Just someone who she can chat with, but I don't know how to go about finding someone. I wish she would spend her money on jumping lol. This is a pic from her 21st bday. I said lets go skydiving she was down.
Playtime is essential.

shortyj

Well I don't think she needs a love interest for sure right now. Just someone who she can chat with, but I don't know how to go about finding someone. I wish she would spend her money on jumping lol. This is a pic from her 21st bday. I said lets go skydiving she was down.

Whoa!:o:)So...um...when does sis come up for parole?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

shortyj

***It's actually very common for prisoners to have pin palls. As odd as this might sound is'a actually a thing. There is like a fetish for this. They actually have dating web sites for prison inmates were people can contact them. People that are that isolated are very vulnerable. People pray on them and vice versa. This is at least a relatively safe place to try and find her some one to correspond with. Most people in that situation face depression issues. Any type of contact from out side her situation will most likely be very welcome. Positive reinforcement that there is still a real and healthy world out side of the one that she is locked in will be valuable to her. Contact with healthy well adjusted people in positive situations can be one of the best things for people whose lives have gone off course. If you are surrounded by criminals, addicts, and the mentally ill then you tend to get caught up in their world where it's normal to steal, lie, assault, use, etc. This more then any thing else is the failing of the prison, mental health systems. If you house them all together, which is very convenient, think warehouse, then you're just going to reinforce every thing that got them there. If we were really serious about these problems we would try to intervene earlier by placing them in better more integrated environments. But nobody really wants to do that. No one wants to hire a worker with a criminal back ground or have them living in our communities. Not to mention to profit motivations.

Lee

Some good advice there. When she gets out she needs she needs either school, or a job, someone to keep her on the straight and narrow. Recidivism for drug users is a constant danger for probably a decade after her release.

jclalor

What an absolute waste, she should be receiving medical treatment instead of being behind bars. Trying to battle your demons with substances is tough enough, let alone doing after being labeled by the state a criminal.

If we're talking possession of drugs, sure. But it's the crimes people commit to get money for drugs that gets people locked up. They have a drug problem, but that's not usually what they were arrested for.

Of all the people I skydived with in the 70s and 80s the one who ended up in prison is about the last one I would have expected. Not that the parole board cares, and they said so in January when they gave him a flat. That's "we'll talk again in a year" as he starts year 19. The rules vary from state to state and even prison to prison so you need to check first. They tend to be unbelievably strict. I once sent a package with photos, a letter and a money order in a padded envelope but this time I used one with the wrong type of padding. It can't be the loose type, only the bubble wrap. I didn't know, but they didn't care and he has to find the money for postage to ship it back, or they throw it away. And postage is three hours of pay for his prison job. So check. In Wv you can send a letter and some photos. More importantly there are ways to put money on an inmates account. Even 10 or 20 dollars is like Christmas. It makes the difference between doing without or not. A card saying hello with a small money order will really make someone's day.

Bob_Church

***What an absolute waste, she should be receiving medical treatment instead of being behind bars. Trying to battle your demons with substances is tough enough, let alone doing after being labeled by the state a criminal.

If we're talking possession of drugs, sure. But it's the crimes people commit to get money for drugs that gets people locked up. They have a drug problem, but that's not usually what they were arrested for.

And the thefts are committed to pay the inflated price due to the drugs being illegal. Legalize drugs and society will be safer.