WhoDaresWins

The priority in life? Advises needed.

I discovered this amazing sport couple years ago, and have invested most of my savings into it. But the problem is that, as a film major student, this is also a great way of burning cash... Not so surprised of the fact of me not owning a car. Well, I just can't get over the idea of investing another 5-8K into a public transportation tool while knowing that I could buy a brand new rig off this money. But it's even more unpleasant having to pay anywhere from $30 to $150 for each ride I ordered.

So here's the dilemma. On one hand, I need to pay for the $60,000 annual tuition, gas bills, as well as studio sessions cost. On the other hand, skydiving is literally my only method of escape from reality that reminds me of how wonderful life is, although it's definitely hurting my already tight financial budget.

Is it reasonable to put a hold on the sport temporarily until I somehow managed to stabilize my financial situation later in life? But how much fun would I miss out though... :(

Coming from a struggling college kid

Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to place skydiving on hold for awhile. One thing to consider is that while you might be missing some fun, when you come back with enough money not to worry, you'll have more fun than you did before.

If you own a rig you don't need another.

And if film school is so awful that skydiving is your only reminder of how good life can be, you might want to consider a major in something else. It's an expensive major with a risky future. If it sucks, choose another major with a less risky future.

I quit during the year while I was in college (a long time ago), and for awhile when I had a family. No regrets for either -- there are other important things in life.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You may not like this advise - but for most people financial security is more important than being a fun jumper. It may not be when you are in your 20's and 30's, but when you are in your 40's,50's, and 60's raising kids, considering retiring, etc - you may wish you focused more on making bank.

Don't get me wrong - there are several people who post on this forum who 'lived the life' of skydiving sleeping in tents and campers and eating ramen noodles who have had happy, successful lives. There are also professional skydivers, but they are rarer than professional athletes.

The sky will always be there. I did my first fun jump in 1978, and my second fun jump in 2006. The sky was waiting for me. It will be waiting for you
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

First World Problems!! :D:D:P

But seriously... You lack imagination if skydiving is your only release from the drudgery of life!! Maybe find some other (less expensive) hobbies until you can afford to jump again. As people have rightly pointed out: the sky isn't going anywhere ;)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I freaking wished it! No only went there over the summer to check out SD Utah. I live in LA where everything is just so much more expensive and it's really difficult to build a social network if you aren't into club/partying like the majority do. To me, it's nice just to visit different DZs for the vibes and get some fresh wind on my face as well.;)

WhoDaresWins

I prefer to not disclose it. But it's a big private institution not affiliated with UC.

With a tuition of $60k?

There is precisely -one- film school in LA even vaguely worth that and the reasoning has zero to do with learning how to make films. If it's the school I'm thinking of, then quit skydiving and start working/socializing with writer/director students in the previous year's class as well as your own. Help -anyone- who wants you on their crew.

Otherwise, you're wasting your money.

I can think of at least a couple where if you're paying that for tuition, you have been royally fucked over.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***I prefer to not disclose it. But it's a big private institution not affiliated with UC.

With a tuition of $60k?

There is precisely -one- film school in LA even vaguely worth that and the reasoning has zero to do with learning how to make films. If it's the school I'm thinking of, then quit skydiving and start working/socializing with writer/director students in the previous year's class as well as your own. Help -anyone- who wants you on their crew.

Otherwise, you're wasting your money.

I can think of at least a couple where if you're paying that for tuition, you have been royally fucked over.

Well friend, IMO you already fucked up by seeking "higher education". And in that field...

So go sell everything you own and become a packer bum.

Good luck buddy.

Well friend, IMO you already fucked up by seeking "higher education". And in that field...

There may be something in this. It's unlikely you will succeed in film making if you do not have a passion for it. And if you had a passion for it you would not be here asking this question.....
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.