Cutaway68

Sigma merits

I got an email from a company called Sigma. In the subject line it states "US Parachute Association just sent you a merit on Sigma!" There were links to "Claim Your Profile". Scrolling down, I see that the company is actually Sigma Accolade. Seems to be some kind of marketing scheme (scam?). Anyone else get this? Any info?

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

USPA has partnered with them in some capacity.

Here was an email I got from USPA back in January:

"As mentioned in the December "USPA Update" e-newsletter, USPA is partnering with Sigma, an online platform for certifications and achievements, to enable members to securely access their USPA credentials easily from their phones or desktop computers.

In the coming weeks, members will receive an email from Sigma to claim their profiles. If you do not want to participate in digital credentials, you do not need to accept the invitation, or you can opt out here prior to January 12.

Sigma will update profiles daily with all new and renewed USPA credentials. USPA credential changes will be reflected in your Sigma profile within 24-48 hours. Expired and suspended credentials will be displayed but flagged to indicate the expiration or suspension.

Also in the works is a digital USPA membership card that can be easily displayed on a smartphone. Over the next six months, USPA will gauge member reaction to determine the feasibility of offering digital credentials as an optional alternative to the plastic membership card.

If you are having trouble getting started, here is a Sigma tutorial for desktop or phone. For all other questions, please contact [email protected]"
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I do remember seeing something about that as I scanned the email, now that you mention it. Thanks for the info/reminder!

The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

In a recent email statement, the USPA stated it is testing the waters regarding the use of digital credentials. So the invitation you got was your chance to sign up to use the new digital credentials. You should reconsider and possibly embrace the idea. Why? Because depending on how the test period goes, the USPA may switch over to digital credentials and stop using the card altogether. If/when this comes to pass, the sigma digital credential will be the way that you prove you have a license. It may or may not come to pass, but IMHO the chances are high that it will in the next few years.

sudo242

In a recent email statement, the USPA stated it is testing the waters regarding the use of digital credentials. So the invitation you got was your chance to sign up to use the new digital credentials. You should reconsider and possibly embrace the idea. Why? Because depending on how the test period goes, the USPA may switch over to digital credentials and stop using the card altogether. If/when this comes to pass, the sigma digital credential will be the way that you prove you have a license. It may or may not come to pass, but IMHO the chances are high that it will in the next few years.

I have been thinking about signing up, but now you say I should reconsider???;)

Be fun, have safe.

There is no harm in signing up. They have sworn they are not doing anything with your information, and if USPA decides to use it as the 'credentials tool' then you may have no choice.

Skydive City joined as an 'organization' (anyone or any DZ can - but have to be approved by them) and we created some badges for Night and High Altitude jumps. I sent out those badges to the folks that did the High Altitude jump and Night jump this past weekend. A novelty at best right now

I am still having trouble defining what the real value is for stuff like that, some marketing value I suppose - I can promote those badges on social media, as can the people that receive them.

I generally believe that any product or service should be able to explain to you in a sentence or two what their value is in the service they offer. Still fuzzy on this with Sigma.

Good service from them and I will continue to fiddle with it, see if it anything worth doing or continuing.

tkhayes

There is no harm in signing up. They have sworn they are not doing anything with your information, and if USPA decides to use it as the 'credentials tool' then you may have no choice.

I'll pass on the impending data breach, thanks. Hopefully the USPA is listening

Sure, I always appreciate the reply from nameless people who might be skydivers, might be human, might be robots, might be nothing, might be a USPA member, might not be a USPA a member, might be a whatever, might not be.

I must have missed all the previous posts where you were ranting and railing about the impending USPA data breaches on their existing systems.

There's not enough data on Sigma for you to even give a rats ass about.