Nataly

Love / Lust at first sight?

My dad fell instantly for my mom the moment he saw her - even told his friend "see that girl? I'm gonna marry that girl!" (And this year they will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary!!!)

Anyone else have a story like that?? Pretty incredible when I think about it!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I knew of one couple who met in a bar and didn't even make it out of the parking lot before they were doing the naked pretzel. Last I knew they had been married for years. Another couple was married 3 days after they met. An ex GF used to babysit for them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Lust is too easy. Just takes the right triggers and boom.

Love is a process that takes time.

No question that lust can turn into a strong enough and lasting love for a few lucky people.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I met my partner in summer class. First day I saw him, I texted my best friend "The hottest guy just walked in to class, I have to meet him"

Blessing/curse I got mono right before we met. I was kind of just looking for a summer fling, but being sick (read that as not wanting to just hook up and get someone sick) it was perfect we just got to talk at first.

I guess you could call it lust at first sight, but for the first month or so we hardly had any physical/sexual contact. We just got to know each other emotionally and it was amazing.

Convinced him to go to the DZ with me one day, and took him for his first tandem. He trusted me with his life and it's just been uphill from there.

6 years later, living together and purchasing a home together, having our dog and cat (our kids), and I couldn't be happier.

Soooo, to answer your question. Lust at first sight, but a love filled lust that wanted me to get to know the man behind the face instead of just another hookup.

Edited to add a recent candid photo of us from a wedding we went to. I'm the weirdo with the silver/blue hair. He's the better looking gentleman with the buzzed hair.

Not me but a friend from way way back:
This guy came from another country to New York in the mid 90's ('94 or '95 I think). Got a job as a day laborer in a moving company through a "friend of a friend". After 3-4 months the immigration authorities had a crackdown.
He bought a car for $450 grabbed all his stuff and drove west. After about 16 hours of cold pizza and coffee fueled driving he pulled off the highway and slept in the car. When he woke up, it was getting dark and he decided to find some food and keep going. He didn't know it but he was somewhere in the Missouri Ozarks.
He had breakfast at a "diner" next to a trailer park. The diner may have been nice at some point but the furnishings were stuck in the '70s. The food was hearty and hot. Bright neon lights and a general rundown decor. There were two line cooks and two waitresses. There were a few patrons in various booths and tables but the dinner crowd was dwindling.
The guy sat at the counter and ordered food with a very thick accent that would have pegged him as a stranger anywhere in the US, let alone in Missouri. Being the kind of 23 year old guy he was, he flirted with the young waitress. She was 19 and had the skinny-wiry body that comes from hard living. Her eyes were still young with a plain face. The older waitress was 29 and looked 49. The young waitress undid her apron, said goodbye and without a second look got in to the guy's car with $57 in her pocket.
Within a week, they were married and living in Vegas.
Twenty years later, they are living in SoCal, two kids and a house.
I asked her at some point why she got in to the car. She said that the older waitress told her that the worst that can happen is that the young guy with the accent chops her up and even that would be better than working a dead end diner job.
I have talked to him several times about what he was thinking. He said that he didn't see the waitress that was running away in desperation, he saw the potential. "Besides, what could be better than driving in to the sunset with a cute girl?"
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

My friends, who I believe will be celebrating their 30th anniversary in August. It started off as a drunken one night stand- they didn't even exchange numbers - but she couldn't stop thinking about him and boldly sent a photo to his job with her number maybe 2 weeks later. They've been together ever since.

I met my wife through a Navy friend. She had just graduated from high school and wanted to get the hell out of Alpena Michigan. Her best friend was my friends girl so she came down to Virginia Beach with them. 2 months later my 4 years were up, we were engaged and heading to Detroit.

That was 36 years ago and "we're still together"
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

My parents met at a Vanderbilt University basketball game where dad was a chemical engineering student and mom was a Peabody College for teachers student across the street. She had a black eye from a car wreck a couple days before. They hit it off right there.

Had never been serious with anyone else prior and both were virgins. :S:D Of course, this was the late 50's. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was 18 and by the end of the first date with that 19 year old girl, I knew I wanted to spend a lot of time with her. Day 15 I said (without thinking), "If we continue to get along like this we should consider getting married". Married in May, 9 months later. It will be 40 years this coming May.

I am not sure when I started loving her. I loved to be with her and still would rather be with her all day long than anyone else.....except when I am jumping. She is not a skydiver.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Had a buddy ask me to go to a party with him because he did not know anyone but was meeting a girl their that was a friend of a friend. They had no chemistry and she took a liking to me. That was 27 years ago and we are still happily married (we only recently married 2 years ago).

I got off work and went to a bar I worked at when I was in college, with our head of security. I noticed a girl at the bar and told him "she is not the best looking girl in the bar, but she is the best looking girl in the bar to me". At the same time she told her friend, "see that guy in the suit? I'm going to marry him." Twenty years and two kids later and we are still going strong.

Mr.owc6 and I met naked in a hot tub.:)

Instant lust then, and over 35 years later, we are still going strong. An entire Marine Corp career (following him across the globe), two kids, and the inevitable ups and downs.

In fact we were naked in the hot tub tonight. :$ Neither of are particularly pretty now, except to each other.

That's all that counts, anyway.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

dzdiva

I totally believe in lust at first sight, but not love at first sight so much. I do believe that the lust could possibly turn into love.:)B|

I totally agree with you. With Vskydiver it was lust (amazement? breathlessness?) at first sight. Love certainly followed, but I was not the type to "fall in love" quickly. :)

Awwww - some lovely stories!! :)
Just found out today that my brother is celebrating 15 years of wedded bliss this year!! My bro is just a year older than me, so anything that lasts so long in our generation is pretty amazing if you ask me!! B|

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

Awwww - some lovely stories!! :)
Just found out today that my brother is celebrating 15 years of wedded bliss this year!! My bro is just a year older than me, so anything that lasts so long in our generation is pretty amazing if you ask me!! B|

Hell, if somebody told me after I'd been married 1-2 years with my wife that I'd still be married to her after 16+ years, I'd have looked at him/her with an incredulous look. It was a rocky first couple of years. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My maternal grandparents deserve mention here. I don't know if it was "love at first sight", but what I observed as a grand-child between them was was a lasting love and long-term devotion that we don't see much of any more.

My grandparents were a strong couple that when not working on the farm liked to camp and visit national parks. They travelled a lot.

Then one day, when I was a teenager, my grandmother had a massive stroke. She almost died and it effected the entire left side of her body. She couldn't talk for 6 months, and couldn't walk for a year. In a walker for another few year, and never walked without a cain, or someones arm again. She also never used her left arm/hand again, and balance and dexterity of he entire body was gone. She was never the same physically. The travel to national parks ended, nor anywhere more than a few hours away.

My grandfather still strong and farming full time, became her primary care giver. In the morning he would make breakfast then help her get dressed. She loved to cook, but it was impossible to do many things, so he became her arms - always chopping/cutting/washing anything that needed it under her direction. He never letting her take anything near the stove, since the chance of falling over was too great. He did this for her for decades. He was completely devoted to her.

We all know they both missed the travel and it was just an assumption - openly talked about that she would pass away before him. (She was so frail every year seemed like the last, and he was strong and still farming at age 70) They would both talk about how after she passed, he would then be free to travel again, to see the national parks they hadn't seen for decades and fly and visit all the grandkids where they lived spread out across the U.S, and even outside the U.S.

But one day they were both home alone. According to my grandmother's account. He was sitting quietly in his chair then suddenly he got up, grabbed the car keys and said to her "I'm going to the store, I'll be gone for a while". He kissed her on the cheek and went quickly out the door without looking back.

He never returned. Instead he drove the car around the corner and parked in a younger neighbor's driveway in a spot where she could not see it from the house. It was there that he passed away, likely from a heart attack. We all know why he did it. He knew something was happening to his heart and didn't what to pass-away in front of her. She would have panicked, would not have know what to do and out in the country it would have been a long time before help could arrive.

Instead his final act of love/devotion to her was to spare her the pain of seeing him pass away. Anything and everything he did until his last breath, it was for her.

Yes, I believe in love at first sight. I was a dancer and my now husband, was a customer...yeah, I know..before he even saw me I knew he would be my husband. He wasn't even my usual type that I found physically attractive. But there was something that told me he's the one. And no, he wasn't wealthy. Just a 19 year old army private. (I was 20). About 6 weeks later, we were engaged. We will be married 10 years this October and have 3 kids and got into skydiving together :) and coincidentally, my parents and grandparents (moms side) all got engaged after 6 weeks of dating and stayed married for life. I think sometimes you just KNOW when you see the person.

Nataly

My dad fell instantly for my mom the moment he saw her - even told his friend "see that girl? I'm gonna marry that girl!" (And this year they will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary!!!)

Anyone else have a story like that?? Pretty incredible when I think about it!

Interesting topic...I myself have been married to the girl of my dreams for 33 years. Raised 3 girls and an airplane together. But one of our best friends whom we hang out with often have a special connection. They first meet at the age of 2 by parents that where best friends. They started hanging out together as best friends as long as they can remember starting in grade school. Dated through-out high school and college and got married after graduation.

They have been married with three grown kids now for more than 35 years, and when we are often in their presence they have been an example of how to do relationships right.

Met my wife at her job while doing my job. She is a bench jeweler and I was an electrician. The sales associates were all giggling and whispering. I knew I was in trouble. We both were in our mid to late 30's. 1 week after meeting we went on our first date. 8 weeks after that we got married. 15 years later we are still married and still act like we are playmates. She has been my best friend and a great wife.