WhoDaresWins

What's the most WTF moment in your life?

I was looking for my phone before going out the other day, spent literally an hour searching for it before I finally gave up and then dialed my cousin USING THE PHONE I WAS LOOKING FOR, telling him "Sorry I would be late to dinner. My phone's nowhere to be found." without realizing it's been in my right hand the entire time. My stupidity ended when he asked "Where are you calling from then?"
I've lost all will to live... :|:D

I did that with my sunglasses once, which were perched on top of my head. I've gotten so used to them being there, that I'm not even aware that they are there any more. After looking all over for them, and finally blurting out "where in the heck are my sunglasses", I realized everyone was looking at me and laughing. Because they could see them. I couldn't. "What?"

I've had a few, but this one might rank right up there.

Mr.owc6 and were about 15 feet from the nose of the plane( DC-3) with the rest of the load behind us, when this idiotic "Pilot" who, still didn't have a license (and had a passenger), who thought he was landing at Van Nuys, and was told repeatedly DO NOT LAND, came in perpendicular to the runway and proceeded to mow over three people under the left wing.

We saw the plane coming and starting running away, heard the crash and ran back. I was the first to reach the kid who had his leg broken by the prop. Fortunately, he was the only jumper injured.

The weird part of this is that Normally the PTB (Dick Jururso (sp) and Lou would be yelling at us to all get out there, for XX-minute, and the X minute call, but they weren't pushing everyone. If this was a normal call to the plane there would have been many of us in the door (which was the point of impact) doing door-dives, and the carnage would have been horrendous.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Flying back from upstate New York and hitting some really bad turbulence. (Head hit the top of the cockpit, hard.)

I landed back in the seat, but the engine was suddenly quiet. And I was over the Bronx. So I started running through engine-out procedure - trim for best glide, find landing site (side of the Hudson - at best this was going to be a survivable crash) set up approach, squauk 7700, try restart . . . .

. . . wait a minute, now I'm climbing and engine RPM's seem the same as they were a minute ago. But the transponder is dark. And so is the radio.

The turbulence was bad enough that it popped the master switch, and I was so used to the alternator whine in the headset that I assumed no whine = no engine. Turned it back on and all was well. D'oh.

(Except for ATC who wanted to know why they lost my return and now I was squauking 7700 . . . .)

billvon

The turbulence was bad enough that it popped the master switch

Good god, I hope to never fly in crap like that (again). I can't imagine how bad you gotta get thrown around to have the master switch take a hit.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

1. Seeing a child drown in rapids, while the multiple rescue throw bags my friends and I threw slipped threw his hands.

2. Having a flight attendant call me by a nickname hardly anyone knows. Was some real 'Truman Show' shit. I had never met her in my life.

3. I think ghosts/supernatural stuff is kinda silly, but one night I woke up with the chills. Wasn't dreaming, I sleep with a CPAP and remember taking it off. Next thing was seeing a dark shadow near my locked bedroom door, it opened, slammed shut, and I ran to see what it was and it was still locked.

I can't think of any WTF moments outside of skydiving so I'll just give my WTF skydiving moment.

Before each jump I carefully check each component and strap to make sure they're all where they should be, on the ground, in the plane, and right before exit.

Well, there I was, climbing out of the King Air for a 10 way jump as a rear floater with 5 hanging out, a bit crowded... We exit, and as I'm falling, the guy in front of me somehow got stuck with me momentarily. I never figured why but my whole focus was getting in the jump and turning the points. I never felt anything was amiss... until after breakoff when I turned and started tracking... only to realize something was whipping against my left leg. I looked down and WHAT THE FUCK?!? My left leg strap had gotten pulled all the way to the end! No doubt the guy in front of me inadvertently snagged it or something on exit.

So since I was jumping a moderately loaded 120, I had the feeling deploying my canopy with that leg strap fully extended was going to create an unrecoverable malfunction, so I immediately grabbed the end of the strap and tried as hard as I could to pull it tight. It took a few tries but I finally got it, and as soon as I looked at my altimeter FUCK! 1500 feet! Immediately dumped my PC and sniveled to about 700-800 feet. Fortunately I was right over the airport and had plenty of altitude to glide over to the LZ and land without incident.

I did not have an AAD at the time as that was in the spring of 1998. Then Sandy Wambach was killed at the 300 way world record attempts and she didn't have one either so I bought a Cypres a month after that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would need to go back to Feb 1981 as a student pilot flying out of Houston Hobby KHOU. After completing a solo flight to the Northside of Houston I was returning with visibility of 10 miles plus and was told to expect Rwy 13L as it was numbered back then. I Passed west of Down Town Houston, about 10 miles out Approach had me switch to tower and I informed the tower I had the airport in sight.

Was cleared to land 13L and confirmed the clearance and signed off with call sign ending with "STUDENT PILOT". Looking out in front of me I had this wide long black top runway in the distance and I kept lined up on it only to hear a King Air pilot ask the tower what the C-152 was doing lined up on 13R 1/2 mile.

WTF, at that point I realized i was pulling a Harrison Ford:P moment only to have Hobby Tower tell me to land 13R and then hear the King Air calling a Go Around. Lucky back then we were required to state "STUDENT PILOT, N number, state our request and end the comm with "STUDENT PILOT". Was politely given a request to appear in the tower with my instructor and given a tour, and lesson on paying attention in all stages of the flight. Great learning moment and had my lunch paid for by the pilot of the King Air 200 and a ride right seat the following weekend.

Driving a somewhat temperamental Lotus Elise that has a known propensity to blow its head gasket if it gets too hot (and I'd already replaced it a year or two before).

Left work and within 5 minutes I'm driving along the motorway when I look down and see my temp sat at 101.2... (they normally sit stable at 98-97 Celsius, especially on a motorway)

Odd I think, shouldn't have had enough time to get that hot... and it's not as if I've sat in traffic long... oh well, it'll go down now the traffic's moving.

As I watch, it ticks up to 101.3 then 101.4. Hmm, fan should kick in any sec. (thermostat triggers at around 101-102)

Then 101.5. Crap, what the fuck is going on? Why the hell is the temp still going up even though I'm coasting along at low revs doing 65? Lots of air moving through the rad - shouldn't even need the fan... There's my junction in less than a mile... but by now I'm up to 102 and the temps still going up.

The fan defiantly should have kicked in by now. I'm going to blow the head again if I don't stop now! So hazards go on, I pull on to the hard shoulder and turn the engine off while I coast to a stop to keep the air flowing over the rad.

Fuck, why is the temp still going up and why the hell can't I hear the fan? Shit, I really don't want to do this sat on a fucking motorway hard shoulder - if I can just make it up to the junction there's a layby another couple of hundred yards after that. Crap, but the way this temp is going up I'm going to cook it before then.

I turn off the ignition all the way then back on again and there it is...

The temp in the bottom right of the display, sitting at a healthy 84... I've been looking at the fucking trip mileage haven't I and the engine hadn't warmed up enough to show a temperature at all until just now!!!

The temperature doesn't even display in points of a degree. :D

LilZilla

Biggest WTF moment of my life is when I gave up skydiving 10 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with my girlfriend. Gosh damn, 10 years ago! I mean that's at least 2-5k jumps I've missed out on. FML

Almost like you went down to the crossroads and sold your soul......
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Biggest WTF moment of my life is when I gave up skydiving 10 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with my girlfriend. Gosh damn, 10 years ago! I mean that's at least 2-5k jumps I've missed out on. FML

Been watching Supernatural, haven't you? :P One of my favorites.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

******Biggest WTF moment of my life is when I gave up skydiving 10 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with my girlfriend. Gosh damn, 10 years ago! I mean that's at least 2-5k jumps I've missed out on. FML

Been watching Supernatural, haven't you? :P One of my favorites.

Actually LilZilla's profile lists his name as Robert Johnson. That's where I got the crossroads idea from.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

LilZilla

Biggest WTF moment of my life is when I gave up skydiving 10 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with my girlfriend. Gosh damn, 10 years ago! I mean that's at least 2-5k jumps I've missed out on. FML

Was she worth it?

I bought my first rig when I got off student status, from a guy who was getting married, and his fiancee said he had to give up skydiving if he was going to marry her.

A year later, he returned and wanted to buy his rig back...

No deal!

A more recent WTF moment for me would have to be early in the morning of April 27, 2011. I woke up around 6 am to a hellacious storm raging outside, actually watching trees in my backyard getting blown down or snapped like toothpicks from inside the porch door. A minute or two later it was all calm again. Got my clothes on and went outside to find at least 13 trees uprooted and on the ground, and multiple trees broken off like toothpicks on my property, and dozens of trees blocking the road in both directions from my driveway. And our power was out.

After the road got cleared, we drove out to town, checking out damage around the area. Definitely straight line wind damage, and there was one fatality in a mobile home park from a large pine tree that fell on one home. What we didn't know was what was to come later that afternoon. Went back home. Still no power. No TV, no internet, nothing. Radios wouldn't do me justice, being fucking deaf.

So I texted a friend in Atlanta asking her what was going on because I was only able to load one page of the news on my smartphone before it stopped and I couldn't load any more but I got enough info that tornadoes were on the way.

So she comes back and says there's a mile and a half wide tornado on the ground in Birmingham, AL, and I'm like WTF?!? I had no idea it had already ravaged Tuscaloosa, of which I'm sure many of you have seen the documentary on the Weather Channel. I gave her my location and she said it would miss me by about 10 miles or so. It lifted up over the Trussville area but regenerated near the lake and killed 14 people before crossing over and killing more people on the other side.

That was a bad, bad day for Alabama. Worst day actually. It broke a lot of records in touchdowns, long track tornadoes and severity, and death and destruction.

Afterwards, I made the trip up to Huntsville to visit my folks and crossed no fewer than 5 damage tracks along the way. :S

BillyVance

A more recent WTF moment for me would have to be early in the morning of April 27, 2011. I woke up around 6 am to a hellacious storm raging outside, actually watching trees in my backyard getting blown down or snapped like toothpicks from inside the porch door. A minute or two later it was all calm again. Got my clothes on and went outside to find at least 13 trees uprooted and on the ground, and multiple trees broken off like toothpicks on my property, and dozens of trees blocking the road in both directions from my driveway. And our power was out.

After the road got cleared, we drove out to town, checking out damage around the area. Definitely straight line wind damage, and there was one fatality in a mobile home park from a large pine tree that fell on one home. What we didn't know was what was to come later that afternoon. Went back home. Still no power. No TV, no internet, nothing. Radios wouldn't do me justice, being fucking deaf.

So I texted a friend in Atlanta asking her what was going on because I was only able to load one page of the news on my smartphone before it stopped and I couldn't load any more but I got enough info that tornadoes were on the way.

So she comes back and says there's a mile and a half wide tornado on the ground in Birmingham, AL, and I'm like WTF?!? I had no idea it had already ravaged Tuscaloosa, of which I'm sure many of you have seen the documentary on the Weather Channel. I gave her my location and she said it would miss me by about 10 miles or so. It lifted up over the Trussville area but regenerated near the lake and killed 14 people before crossing over and killing more people on the other side.

That was a bad, bad day for Alabama. Worst day actually. It broke a lot of records in touchdowns, long track tornadoes and severity, and death and destruction.

Afterwards, I made the trip up to Huntsville to visit my folks and crossed no fewer than 5 damage tracks along the way. :S

Deaf?? both my In Laws are deaf and my wife a CODA. Many moons ago Skydive Spaceland hosted Skyfest and we had several deaf skydivers come out and my wife had a great time hanging out with them helped occasionally as an interpreter.

Cheers

Channman

***A more recent WTF moment for me would have to be early in the morning of April 27, 2011. I woke up around 6 am to a hellacious storm raging outside, actually watching trees in my backyard getting blown down or snapped like toothpicks from inside the porch door. A minute or two later it was all calm again. Got my clothes on and went outside to find at least 13 trees uprooted and on the ground, and multiple trees broken off like toothpicks on my property, and dozens of trees blocking the road in both directions from my driveway. And our power was out.

Deaf?? both my In Laws are deaf and my wife a CODA. Many moons ago Skydive Spaceland hosted Skyfest and we had several deaf skydivers come out and my wife had a great time hanging out with them helped occasionally as an interpreter.

Cheers

Nice! I know Texas has something like 4 or 5 deaf skydivers, of whom Fred Goebel is the oldest and most experienced. He's organized a few gatherings for deaf skydivers from around 2007 to 2011 or so before I lost touch. We helped organize three deaf world record events in 2001 at San Marcos, 2003 at Perris and 2005 at Lake Wales, then I got busy raising a couple girls and dropped out of the sport for the most part.

Do you know Walt and Kathleen? Kathleen's a sign language interpreter.

BillyVance

******A more recent WTF moment for me would have to be early in the morning of April 27, 2011. I woke up around 6 am to a hellacious storm raging outside, actually watching trees in my backyard getting blown down or snapped like toothpicks from inside the porch door. A minute or two later it was all calm again. Got my clothes on and went outside to find at least 13 trees uprooted and on the ground, and multiple trees broken off like toothpicks on my property, and dozens of trees blocking the road in both directions from my driveway. And our power was out.

Cheers

Nice! I know Texas has something like 4 or 5 deaf skydivers, of whom Fred Goebel is the oldest and most experienced. He's organized a few gatherings for deaf skydivers from around 2007 to 2011 or so before I lost touch. We helped organize three deaf world record events in 2001 at San Marcos, 2003 at Perris and 2005 at Lake Wales, then I got busy raising a couple girls and dropped out of the sport for the most part.

No...might have meet them through my wife...as my wife is very active in the deaf community here in South / South East Texas area. She runs a very successful Sign Language interpreting agency with 16 full time interpreters. She has several contracts with the State of Texas, and other Corp. / Hospitals providing interpreters to the hearing impaired for Job Placement, medical procedures, Law, School, and the list goes on. She would more than likely know these two if they are in the Houston area.

Who is the lady with the colored hair that you see on many stages around the world interpreting for the deaf at concerts, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel shows. She's big on You Tube. My wife knows her very well and they chat often.

Channman

*********A more recent WTF moment for me would have to be early in the morning of April 27, 2011. I woke up around 6 am to a hellacious storm raging outside, actually watching trees in my backyard getting blown down or snapped like toothpicks from inside the porch door. A minute or two later it was all calm again. Got my clothes on and went outside to find at least 13 trees uprooted and on the ground, and multiple trees broken off like toothpicks on my property, and dozens of trees blocking the road in both directions from my driveway. And our power was out.

Cheers

No...might have meet them through my wife...as my wife is very active in the deaf community here in South / South East Texas area. She runs a very successful Sign Language interpreting agency with 16 full time interpreters. She has several contracts with the State of Texas, and other Corp. / Hospitals providing interpreters to the hearing impaired for Job Placement, medical procedures, Law, School, and the list goes on. She would more than likely know these two if they are in the Houston area.

Who is the lady with the colored hair that you see on many stages around the world interpreting for the deaf at concerts, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel shows. She's big on You Tube. My wife knows her very well and they chat often.

Walt (WaltAppel) and Kathleen are up in the Temple area.

My wife (deaf) works as an evaluator for the deaf. She was previously a vocational rehab counselor. So it's a safe bet that she knows about every interpreter in the state of Alabama, and she also served on the ALBIT board (interpreter certification).

Wouldn't surprise me if our wives know some of the same people. B|