Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

Enjoyed your cartoon! Funny what you said about Rehab, that IS always the hardest part and the exercises seem so silly and like they should be easy!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You have a great attitude. Good luck with your recovery.

Also that gunman is lucky he didn't leave with a webbed footprint in his ass.

HehHeh:D

Truth be told the dismembered Black Knight from "The Holy Grail" would have been a more formidable opponent than me (broken or intact), but it's a funny thought. B|

p.s. Here's a news report about the search for the suposed "gunman."

Also thanks to the rest of you (nanook, oldwomanc6, normiss, wolfriverjoe, Abedy, skymama, JohnMitchell) for your encouragement.:)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

One of Namowal's old pre-skydiving blog posts addressed the issue of how easy it is to attribute others' misfortune to being their own damn fault.

(http://tailotherat.blogspot.ca/2007/06/schmicarus-schmicarus-where-are-you.html)

Hmm, the cartoon can well be applied to skydivers (and slightly broken novice skydiver cartoonists)...:(

Good one, this story was unbeknownst to me so thanks for the link. I like the "Shimicarus" story as it shows many folks really do use any occasion to say "Why did s/he... so s/he deserved it..."

BTW: Namo had feathers at her arms by this time. Maybe they were pulled out by the wind when she started skydiving? :PB|:ph34r::ph34r:

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

One of Namowal's old pre-skydiving blog posts addressed the issue of how easy it is to attribute others' misfortune to being their own damn fault.

(http://tailotherat.blogspot.ca/...s-where-are-you.html)

Hmm, the cartoon can well be applied to skydivers (and slightly broken novice skydiver cartoonists)..

Heh heh. I'd forgotten about that old post.
I have gotten some minor "that's what you get for jumping out of a plane" attitude from non-skydivers. The fact that a big piece of the accident puzzle had to door with my poor setup position in the door seems besides the point to them.:$

BTW: Namo had feathers at her arms by this time. Maybe they were pulled out by the wind when she started skydiving?

:D
My original duck character was much more birdlike, with feathered wings and the works. Over time the character became more "cartoony" because it was more flexible to draw the character interacting with the real world.
I believe this was one of my last cartoons that used feathered wings. (Even as a kid, I was crashing into stuff. );)

I have gotten some minor "that's what you get for jumping out of a plane" attitude from non-skydivers. The fact that a big piece of the accident puzzle had to door with my poor setup position in the door seems besides the point to them.:$

Still on your mind, eh? :D Ahhh! What the subconscious reveals! :P:)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Still on your mind, eh? :D Ahhh! What the subconscious reveals! :P:)

D'oh! That door gets me every time!:D

Most whuffos don't really understand what actually happens before, during and after a jump. Add "selective reception" and all the stereotypes they get from the media and you'll see the result. Some of my colleagues still refer to my broken humerus as "due to you bouncing". I tried to convey the basic idea of what a "premature opening" means but most folks simply don't listen not to tell about keep it in their mind :|

I hope you are doing well?!

The rolling barrel obviously wasn't your favourite playground attraction but all those older kids who played tricks on you or mastered the rolling barrel better aren't able to do a barrel roll in freefall, so you're now even with them. (Better late than never, huh? ;))

Most whuffos don't really understand what actually happens before, during and after a jump. Add "selective reception" and all the stereotypes they get from the media and you'll see the result. Some of my colleagues still refer to my broken humerus as "due to you bouncing". I tried to convey the basic idea of what a "premature opening" means but most folks simply don't listen not to tell about keep it in their mind :|

Yep. It's actually rather interesting how people see and hear what they expect to see and hear, as opposed to what's actually going on. (That's how a lot of magic tricks work.)

I hope you are doing well?!

I'm doing great. I can walk almost normally (and as far as I want) and am gaining a better range of motion with my arm. And the doctor said my bones were healing quickly.B|

The rolling barrel obviously wasn't your favourite playground attraction but all those older kids who played tricks on you or mastered the rolling barrel better aren't able to do a barrel roll in freefall, so you're now even with them. (Better late than never, huh? ;))

Good point! :)fun than than that !@%^! barrel.

Nice to see another cartoon! I am a little groggy and grumpy this morning after a long week of work too, 68 hours, so it is nice to get something to smile about.

Two notes:
1. Yes, learn how to pack. I felt it took me forever to learn, and now the process feels so simple I can't imagine not knowing. In time, you will get there too. (I will say the packing process is a science, but getting the exact opening you want can feel like an art sometimes...). And think of the financial benefit, my 350 self packs have saved me like $2000.

2. AAD not ADD. (pet peeve).

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

2. AAD not ADD. (pet peeve).

Seth

Sorry. I have Acronym Deficit Disorder.:P

Muahahahaha B| AAAA - Association Against Acronym Abuse

Nice to hera you're healing well and you (almost) got your own gear. Yeah, play it safe. I waited 8 months after my accident and what to tell: Get an AFFI to jump with you, a really good one, one that "airs" reliability and you're going to jump like nothing happened because there's someone really trustworthy next to you to help you just in case. And this means you won't need any help B| That's what I did, heh heh.

Get an AFFI to jump with you, a really good one, one that "airs" reliability and you're going to jump like nothing happened because there's someone really trustworthy next to you to help you just in case. And this means you won't need any help B| That's what I did, heh heh.

Good idea. I'm pretty sure there's USPA rules that will make me attend a refresher course and do a supervised AFF jump before they let me loose in the sky.

Hope all is well with you. :)

I dunno regarding the rules. As a licensed skydiver you "only" need to have made 12 jumps within the last 12 months to be good for a jump. If you lack the number you will get some instruction and some tasks to do. Depending on your time on the ground the jump master might have an instructor jump with you. Put it very short, German skygods please do not fill in on "this and that" ;)

I'm OK so far, will contact you sooner or later. Off-season here (at least re. jumping) so life is a little more relaxed and much more boring. :S

I dunno regarding the rules. As a licensed skydiver you "only" need to have made 12 jumps within the last 12 months to be good for a jump. If you lack the number you will get some instruction and some tasks to do. Depending on your time on the ground the jump master might have an instructor jump with you. Put it very short, German skygods please do not fill in on "this and that" ;)

I'm OK so far, will contact you sooner or later. Off-season here (at least re. jumping) so life is a little more relaxed and much more boring. :S

Rules in the US are a bit different. More than 60 days since the last jump for an A license requires "at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups."

SIM 5.2

The instructors at her DZ will be the best to judge exactly what she needs to do to get back up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was disappointed to see...

Skydiving Duck
A comic series... the final installment

... in the January 2013 issue of Parachutist.

I mean, great installment, but the last one? :(

Parachutist wanted to run the series as my journey from Tandem noob to A licence holder. It seemed reasonable to me- I figured my continuing schtick of duck-is-nervous-on-the-plane, duck-is-a-klutz, duck-slowly-makes-progress might be growing old (even if it was what how it happened).
You can still see my continuing adventures on my blog- has gone semi-dark since I've been grounded (till spring) thanks to my ridiculous accident.
Still, it's nice to know I'll be missed. Thanks!:)

I'm not a USPA member so the news isn't too disturbing to me. I will keep reading and enjoying your cartoons on your blog, however - promised! B| So keep on posting/making 'em ;)