Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

Nice, as always :)
I liked pic #3 most, too funny.

2 tips I would give to students here - I don't know your DZ so take this with caution and just consider it ideas to talk about with your instructors:

- If you notice you are a little away you might pull 100 m (300 ft) higher.
- In a classic jump run you fly home with the wind. In that case you might apply the brakes a little (1/3 to 1/2) and will notice you fly slower but you sink way slower and due to the wind pushing you you get further than in full-flight mode.

And one thing: You forgot the steering lines in pic #5. :P

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Nice, as always :)
I liked pic #3 most, too funny.

Thanks. I almost left it out because I thought it might be misinterpreted as me being treated rudely (which wasn't the case at all- they were very nice about it) but I figured it was so cartoony that people would guess that I was joking.

2 tips I would give to students here - I don't know your DZ so take this with caution and just consider it ideas to talk about with your instructors...:

I like when advice here comes with the "check with your instructors" reminder. Always a good idea. I'll check with them.

Why, those are invisible "stealth" steering lines, of course.:ph34r:

Actually that image took a long time to draw, with the perspective and me trying to get it to look something like the actual drop zone and beyond. Funny with all the attention to detail that I'd still forget a detail. I suppose I should have drawn the altimeter too. D'oh! :$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Why, those are invisible "stealth" steering lines, of course.:ph34r:

There is always a critic. :S Sheeesh! :P

Might I add that I redrew the hands several times because I didn't like how they looked. Yet I left out the toggles. Tsk tsk.

BTW, enjoyed it as usual. :)

Thanks!B|

Actually that image took a long time to draw, with the perspective and me trying to get it to look something like the actual drop zone and beyond.

It's very close to the actual impression one gets when flying their canopy.

BTW: If you get hold of Skydive University's "Basic Canopy Flight" video, watch it - they show (in a very descriptive manner how you can find out where you are going to land. ("Find the spot that doesn't move (neither up nor down)") This is also a valuable tool, especially when you find yourself a little off the DZ. This topic might also be dealt with in other videos, but I can imagine your DZ has a copy of the one I mentioned.

P.S.: Never mind the stealth steering lines, I was just being nitpickerish B|
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Your strips are awesome. We've needed something like this for a long time.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Actually that image took a long time to draw, with the perspective and me trying to get it to look something like the actual drop zone and beyond.

It's very close to the actual impression one gets when flying their canopy.

BTW: If you get hold of Skydive University's "Basic Canopy Flight" video, watch it - they show (in a very descriptive manner how you can find out where you are going to land. ("Find the spot that doesn't move (neither up nor down)") This is also a valuable tool, especially when you find yourself a little off the DZ. This topic might also be dealt with in other videos, but I can imagine your DZ has a copy of the one I mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it.:)

P.S.: Never mind the stealth steering lines, I was just being nitpickerish B|

No worries! B|

Your strips are awesome. We've needed something like this for a long time.

Thanks, Tink1717.

I attempted my graduation dive. But did I pass? Inquiring minds want to know!;)

Love the picture of you in the hanging harness. Although, I don't think I've ever seen anyone having that good of a time during a cut away though....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I already know :P:P:P

You have insider information! ;)

Love the picture of you in the hanging harness. Although, I don't think I've ever seen anyone having that good of a time during a cut away though....SlySlySly

I think the fact that said "cutaway" was only two feet about the ground made it more entertaining.

I got 40 min in the tunnel and am always completely stable and you would never guess that I do a running man every time I let go of the wing of our 182. Which then makes me go all katywampus for a second or so till I make myself remember how to be stable, i.e actually arch. :S

Good luck on the next one!

I've been posting cartoons about my tandem and beginning AFF jumps in the "Introductions" forum, but it's been suggested I post them here, even though I'm far from a liscenced skydiver. So if you haven't seen them, and want to follow my misadventures (I'm a natural chicken so this doesn't come easy for me) :$here they are.

SkyDiving Duck: Chicken of the Sky

SkyDiving Duck III: Parachuting School (Chicken of the Sky, AFF version)

Skydiving Duck IV: Shakes on a Plane (AFF Level 2)

Skydiving Duck V: Altitude! Altitude! Altitude! (AFF 3, attempt 1))

Skydiving Duck IV: AFF 3: Take two, with a Twist

First time I've seen this. Excellent, original material. Made me roar, and I don't roar easily. Can't wait to see "(Lost) Prairie Home Duck" :-D Keep up the good work!

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Heh heh B|

You don't look quite as exuberant in the picture as you did in the drawing. ;)

Keep at it, it will come. There's no shame in taking a couple more that 25 to get your "A." Which is a very good thing in my case. :)

And as always, thanks for the continued saga. These are great.

I kinda like how your altimeter (in the cartoon) is now turquoise.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

First time I've seen this. Excellent, original material. Made me roar, and I don't roar easily. Can't wait to see "(Lost) Prairie Home Duck" :-D Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

You don't look quite as exuberant in the picture as you did in the drawing. Wink

That's nothing. In a similar photo I look like I've been stung by a bee. . Not sure what was on my mind. "Oh noes! If I pull the red handle I'll drop a whole foot!"B|

Keep at it, it will come. There's no shame in taking a couple more that 25 to get your "A." Which is a very good thing in my case. Angelic

Agreed. I'd rather do the check dive 20 times till I get it right than to be awarded an "A" before I'm safe enough to jump with others.

Thanks! (My alti is turquoise in real life too!)

Thanks! (My alti is turquoise in real life too!)

I know. I've been following the whole thing. I expect to see the duck's gear evolve over time as you get your own helmet, jumpsuit, goggles, ect.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've been posting cartoons about my tandem and beginning AFF jumps in the "Introductions" forum, but it's been suggested I post them here, even though I'm far from a liscenced skydiver. So if you haven't seen them, and want to follow my misadventures (I'm a natural chicken so this doesn't come easy for me) :$here they are.

SkyDiving Duck: Chicken of the Sky

SkyDiving Duck III: Parachuting School (Chicken of the Sky, AFF version)

Skydiving Duck IV: Shakes on a Plane (AFF Level 2)

Skydiving Duck V: Altitude! Altitude! Altitude! (AFF 3, attempt 1))

Skydiving Duck IV: AFF 3: Take two, with a Twist

mh

Where the heck have you been? :o You might want to tune in more often. :P She's our own "Cartoonist Extraordinaiare" :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I attempted my graduation dive. But did I pass? Inquiring minds want to know!;)

Love the picture of you in the hanging harness. Although, I don't think I've ever seen anyone having that good of a time during a cut away though....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I did at Fitz this year...:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.