Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

Heh heh. I'd be looking into getting my own rig/canopy already if I knew more about my choices. The only reason I haven't asked about this here is because I figure it's safer to get the info from my instructors.

Great! If you think showing off your new alti is fun, then just wait until you get to strut around in your own rig ;). And you'll have figured out by now that this sport is very much a 'head' game. You might be surprised how much better you perform when you have your own gear if only because it helps you feel like a 'real' skydiver.

About your landings - very glad you're PLFing successfully and not hurting yourself, and of course you should continue to do that when necessary. I think the only danger is in getting the idea that you can't stand up. For example I've seen low-timers who habitually do sit-down landings from a perfectly timed flare, just because they've got used to them and convinced themselves that if they put their feet down they'll get hurt.

Sit down with Matt and have a chat about gear this weekend.

Will do. (If I'm not grounded by working this weekend).
Thanks, Squeak.

And you'll have figured out by now that this sport is very much a 'head' game.

That's true in many contexts, it seems. I'm surprised nobody's done a study on the psychology of the sport. Or maybe they have.

I think the only danger is in getting the idea that you can't stand up. For example I've seen low-timers who habitually do sit-down landings from a perfectly timed flare, just because they've got used to them and convinced themselves that if they put their feet down they'll get hurt.

Isn't a deliberate sit down landing potentially dangerous? I've been told to contact the ground with my feet first, even if I think I'm going to fast to remain on them. That way I can PLF. A hard sit down landing sounds like a good way to break your caboose, (in my noob opinion, at least.)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Yes for the sit down landings, feet would still be deployed as shock absorbers. You're right about wanting to protect one's ass (and spine). Only after a soft touch down at low speed is established, then someone can just ease themselves down onto their butt instead of trying to balance and stay standing. Experienced jumpers with leg issues sometimes do the same.

However, there is also the sliding landing -- an option when one has too much horizontal speed but there's no big vertical speed. PLF's are best if there's significant vertical speed, but if the landing area is smooth, a slide (properly done) is safer if there's only a lot of horizontal speed left. That's another skill to learn eventually.

As for strutting around in your own rig, yeah, you'll do that when you get one. You'll be wearing it around the house too, and looking at yourself in the mirror...

You're almost there, girlie. YAY! :)

I'm a moo duck! B|

Yep. You've been officially duck-a-fied! B|
Looks like a woodpecker :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nice one. Enjoy your own altimeter ;)
When exiting this way, present your chest and belly to the wind, arch and let your legs complete the banana. But didn't look too bad.
Things look intimidatingly close at 5000 ft but don't worry, you'll get used to it and will find out sooner or later. :)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Hey Duck...
I just stumbled on your cartoons. Absolutely, awesome. Funny, funny stuff. A most epic depiction of learning to jump. Love it.
I read em all and wait for more.
You picked a good place, I've been to Elsinore a buncha times for wingsuit stuff and if I was going to relocate west, I think I'd wind up there.
Have fun and congrats, believe it or not someday soon you'll be dropping out the door like you were born to it without a second thought.
:)-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

When exiting this way, present your chest and belly to the wind, arch and let your legs complete the banana. But didn't look too bad.

My instructor told me something similar. I'll be trying it out today (if the weather cooperates!)

Things look intimidatingly close at 5000 ft but don't worry, you'll get used to it and will find out sooner or later. :)

Glad to hear this. While the low exit was something I did to get it out of the way, it's something I should learn to get comfortable with as well.

Hey Duck...
I just stumbled on your cartoons. Absolutely, awesome. Funny, funny stuff. A most epic depiction of learning to jump. Love it.
I read em all and wait for more.

Thanks!

You picked a good place, I've been to Elsinore a buncha times for wingsuit stuff and if I was going to relocate west, I think I'd wind up there.

I sure like it. And what a view!

Believe it or not someday soon you'll be dropping out the door like you were born to it without a second thought.

I'm looking forward to that day. I wonder how many jumps it will take? It doesn't scare me out of my mind anymore, but when I'm slipping my goggles and helmet on part of me thinks What am I doing!?:o;)

Well, it took me somewhere around 50 jumps. I remember sitting staring out the window on the ride up at #50 thinking this was weird, because I was still excited as hell but the unpleasant "panic attack" sensation was finally, at last going away a little more with every jump. Soon after it was gone entirely and then my career REALLY took off.

I still get some brief butterflies sometimes especially when its been a few months, but those are just flavor, I like em, thrive on em, they add spice, reminds me this is fun but still dangerous as all hell so stay sharp, because although I've become so at home up there I actually feel quite secure in flight, the sky hasn't gotten any less dangerous. Its like "Oh yeah, now I'm back in the REAL world where everything I do actually matters."
After awhile you can get the butterflies to fly in formation and its all good. Been at this for a fair long time now and the exhilaration has NEVER worn off. Keep your sense of fun and excitement, and it never will.
10 years, 2700 jumps, and I'm still doing Happydance in the plane on the ride up. Keep the right attitude and you get to look forward to an entire lifetime of this much fun. To quote Bodhi, "Other people snort for it, jab a vein for it, all you gotta do is jump..."
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Well, it took me somewhere around 50 jumps. I remember sitting staring out the window on the ride up at #50 thinking this was weird, because I was still excited as hell but the unpleasant "panic attack" sensation was finally, at last going away a little more with every jump. Soon after it was gone entirely and then my career REALLY took off.
I'm looking forward to that day!

I still get some brief butterflies ... ...reminds me this is fun but still dangerous as all hell so stay sharp, because although I've become so at home up there I actually feel quite secure in flight, the sky hasn't gotten any less dangerous.

Good point. I'd hate to reach the point where I was so calm that I got careless. That would be an accident (or worse) waiting to happen.

Been at this for a fair long time now and the exhilaration has NEVER worn off. Keep your sense of fun and excitement, and it never will.
10 years, 2700 jumps, and I'm still doing Happydance in the plane on the ride up. Keep the right attitude and you get to look forward to an entire lifetime of this much fun.

That's awesome! B|

I wonder how many jumps it will take? It doesn't scare me out of my mind anymore, but when I'm slipping my goggles and helmet on part of me thinks What am I doing!?:o;)

If you happen to live in an area were you have "jumping season" and "bitching about the weather season" (i.e. winter) - not matter how many jumps one has - if you look at faces at climb-up after a 5 months break, most of them are hard to read but somehow look a little... tense. I admit I still feel sort of "what the heck am I doing" on the first ride to altitude after such a long time, every year. But it's not really scary, it's just that you are not that relaxed, calm... and that's pretty good, I suppose. You do all handle checks once and again and once more, memorize your EPs, landing patterns, rules etc. But once you jump out that door... FUUUUN B|

If you happen to live in an area were you have "jumping season" and "bitching about the weather season" (i.e. winter) - not matter how many jumps one has - if you look at faces at climb-up after a 5 months break, most of them are hard to read but somehow look a little... tense. I admit I still feel sort of "what the heck am I doing" on the first ride to altitude after such a long time

I can see how this would happen. Even skipping my student jumps for a week or two makes me more nervous. I'd have a tough time waiting half a year and returning.

You do all handle checks once and again and once more, memorize your EPs, landing patterns, rules etc. But once you jump out that door... FUUUUN B|

Exactly. Between 9000-12500 feet I'm thinking Why am I doing this?
but once in freefall I'm thinking Oh yeah, that's why I'm doing this!

If you happen to live in an area were you have "jumping season" and "bitching about the weather season" (i.e. winter) - not matter how many jumps one has - if you look at faces at climb-up after a 5 months break, most of them are hard to read but somehow look a little... tense. I admit I still feel sort of "what the heck am I doing" on the first ride to altitude after such a long time

I can see how this would happen. Even skipping my student jumps for a week or two makes me more nervous. I'd have a tough time waiting half a year and returning.

You do all handle checks once and again and once more, memorize your EPs, landing patterns, rules etc. But once you jump out that door... FUUUUN B|

When I'm in free fall I'm thinking "Why am I falling so much faster than everyone else?"

Once I land I look at my beer gut and say, "Oh yeah, that's why."

BTW, are you missing one cartoon? I seem to remember one where there were two experienced female birds and you looked at them and were impressed with how fearless they were?

Am I imagining this?

When I'm in free fall I'm thinking "Why am I falling so much faster than everyone else?"

Once I land I look at my beer gut and say, "Oh yeah, that's why."

BTW, are you missing one cartoon? I seem to remember one where there were two experienced female birds and you looked at them and were impressed with how fearless they were?

Am I imagining this?

It's still there. The tandem jump (first link in the first post of the thread) is in 2 parts. The panel you are looking for is at the end of the 2nd part.

And Namowal: The first jump of the season (I live in Wisconsin and don't jump when it's realy cold) is...

Interesting.

And my regular jump partner is used to me looking at him around 8k or 9k and saying "I hate this part." I will often ask him "Tell me again why I'm doing this."

He usually responds with something like "Because it's really, really cool and you love it."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And Namowal: The first jump of the season (I live in Wisconsin and don't jump when it's realy cold) is...

Interesting.

And my regular jump partner is used to me looking at him around 8k or 9k and saying "I hate this part." I will often ask him "Tell me again why I'm doing this."

Is there an official skydiving slang for the almost-to-altitude I shouldn't be doing this thoughts? "The 9k nay say?" or something?;)

You're almost there, girlie. YAY! :)

I'm a moo duck! B|

I'm dying to see Namowal's cartoon of her first jump with you..:ph34r:
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

..."The 9k nay say?" or something?;)

Huhu, good thought. :D

BTW: Namo no longer considers the "door hestitation" thingy. Aren't we all proud of ya, girl! B|

BTW: A good workaround to "why am I doing this.... I think I don't wanna jump" is shown here at the end.
Quaint gear, but... After all, it's an ALF episode! Even I was kinda young when it was aired first in Ger-Mah-nee B|

And yeah, there's an interesting discussion whether Willie "chickened out" or just "had second thoughts and went back to his seat". Huhu... DC3? I like this episode. "How do you skydive just as little bit?" Muhahahaha :D:D:D:D

I absolutely LOVE these! I don't know why I slacked for so long on reading them. I passed the link onto a friend who has done a tandem but is scared to try AFF. Hopefully these will help her realize that's perfectly normal. (Assuming she actually reads them. I think she's more afraid she'll like it and end up poor like the rest of us. hahahaha) Keep them coming! :)

BTW: Namo no longer considers the "door hestitation" thingy. Aren't we all proud of ya, girl! Cool

And it wasn't that long ago where even videos of people in the doorway triggered a fear response.

BTW: A good workaround to "why am I doing this.... I think I don't wanna jump" is shown here at the end.

The link gave me a "this is restricted in your country because of possible copyright violations" (I'm sure bootleg ALF videos are a hot seller on the black market:S. But I was able to find it here. That is a good workaround.:)

I absolutely LOVE these! I don't know why I slacked for so long on reading them. I passed the link onto a friend who has done a tandem but is scared to try AFF. Hopefully these will help her realize that's perfectly normal. (Assuming she actually reads them. I think she's more afraid she'll like it and end up poor like the rest of us. hahahaha) Keep them coming!

Hey, thanks! :)